Ucsf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nghs2002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone out there has heard anything from the UCSF school of Pharmacy yet? I'm getting a little jittery :scared: because people are telling me how hard it is to get into this school. The minimum GPA is a 2.8. But anyways, does anyone out there know if UCSF would even let us know whether they received our applications full and complete? I heard that we don't hear from this school until mid December for interviews but I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything from them yet. I read on a couple of the threads that some people are already receiving interviews for pharmacy school. Well if you guys hear anything, let me know. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

nghs2002 said:
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone out there has heard anything from the UCSF school of Pharmacy yet? I'm getting a little jittery :scared: because people are telling me how hard it is to get into this school. The minimum GPA is a 2.8. But anyways, does anyone out there know if UCSF would even let us know whether they received our applications full and complete? I heard that we don't hear from this school until mid December for interviews but I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything from them yet. I read on a couple of the threads that some people are already receiving interviews for pharmacy school. Well if you guys hear anything, let me know. Thanks.

you should've gotten an email saying your application was recieved and complete and they were going to review it. i recieved an email a couple weeks after i sent my stuff in back in early october.

I sent my application right ON the deadline date..November 1st. How soon ago did you get an email saying that they received everything?

Members don't see this ad :)
nghs2002 said:
I sent my application right ON the deadline date..November 1st. How soon ago did you get an email saying that they received everything?

If UCSF received both applications, you should get an email soon. I also sent mine on 11/1 and I just got an email last week, saying that they received everything.

nghs2002 said:

im not too sure with the exact date i got everything in on, but it was around mid-october and i received a confirmation email on 10/27

UCSF received my supplemental application on November 4 (sent November 1), and I got a confirmation e-mail on the evening of November 16.

Hey this girl told me that she got a interview invite already? Just wondering if any of you applying to UCSF received an interview!!!

Spyris said:
You'll probably hear from the staff soon. By the way, if you get into UCSF, don't live at mission bay housing.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=240209

It seems to me that the majority of people here have received the complete email if they sent their app on Nov 1st or later. Maybe yours were all on the top of the stack. :eek: How did that girl receive an interview invite already? Isn't it too early to hear from them? The website even said they would start sending out invites mid-December through January and it's only Dec 1st!

Yea, I thought they send out invites mid to late december. Guess she got lucky? :love:

IamShane said:
Hey this girl told me that she got a interview invite already? Just wondering if any of you applying to UCSF received an interview!!!

aww boo...another reason for me to start stalking the mailbox again. my roommates make fun of me cuz at about 2 EVERYDAY i run out to check mail. i dont think theyve gotten the mail in the past couple weeks cuz i always beat them there

yeah...I don't think you are suppose to hear anything from them as far as interview invites go until dec. 16th. but yah...I tried calling them and they said that the school is still processing applications. is there anyone here that did apply and still haven't heard from them or am I the only one outcasted??? :(

nghs2002 said:
yeah...I don't think you are suppose to hear anything from them as far as interview invites go until dec. 16th. but yah...I tried calling them and they said that the school is still processing applications. is there anyone here that did apply and still haven't heard from them or am I the only one outcasted??? :(

NO i still didn't receive a confirmation letter. I postmarked it Nov 1. So don't be too worried. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
IamShane said:
NO i still didn't receive a confirmation letter. I postmarked it Nov 1. So don't be too worried. =)

I didn't get one and I sent mine in October!

I finally got a confirmation email from them!! now we'll have to see where fate will take me....at least they received everything as oppose to them rejecting by default (ie missing forms, lateness)...hope everyone else who hasn't heard from UCSF hear from them soon.

Well, I finally called UCSF to see what was up with my application and guess what? The mailroom people LOST MY APPLICATION. They cancelled my app! :( I had delivery confirmation and everything, I even told them the person who signed for it. So hopefully they hunt that person down. The student affairs person (Ena) told me that she had to ask the admin coordinator if I would be a 'special case' in which I could possibly re-send my application. I can't believe this.... :scared: :scared: :scared:

For those interested, the last day they are reviewing/processing applications is December 15th from what she told me.

I got a confirmation recieving my supplemental application maybe a few days after Nov 1 and I sent it out mid October.

Maybe that girl didn't get a UCSF interview invite? And it was some other school? I don't know.

IamShane said:

Who is this girl? Could you ask her to join the pharmacy forum so she could share her experience with all of us. thanks

blizz said:
Well, I finally called UCSF to see what was up with my application and guess what? The mailroom people LOST MY APPLICATION. They cancelled my app! :( I had delivery confirmation and everything, I even told them the person who signed for it. So hopefully they hunt that person down. The student affairs person (Ena) told me that she had to ask the admin coordinator if I would be a 'special case' in which I could possibly re-send my application. I can't believe this.... :scared: :scared: :scared:

For those interested, the last day they are reviewing/processing applications is December 15th from what she told me.

Awww...that really sucks...I can't believe a school with such a lofty reputation would hire such incompetent people. If I could think of a way for you to sue them I would tell you, but I'm outta ideas... I hope you get in somewhere though

fidelio said:
I got a confirmation recieving my supplemental application maybe a few days after Nov 1 and I sent it out mid October.

Maybe that girl didn't get a UCSF interview invite? And it was some other school? I don't know.

I really think this girl is lying, or maybe its another school...I've pretty much interviewed everywhere that has had an interview in cali...and I think UCSF said somewhere in their website and pharmcas that they'll send interview letters about 3 weeks before the interview dates, and those dates are starting in mid January. I also read the dates are randomly drawn for each student.

marrymenatalie said:
I really think this girl is lying, or maybe its another school...I've pretty much interviewed everywhere that has had an interview in cali...and I think UCSF said somewhere in their website and pharmcas that they'll send interview letters about 3 weeks before the interview dates, and those dates are starting in mid January. I also read the dates are randomly drawn for each student.

Hey marrymenatalie, I think you're right. This girl is probably lying...or...mistaken with another school.

Anyway, you mentioned that you've interviewed at all CA schools. Did you apply really early (If you don't mind me asking)? Have you been accepted to any school? Good luck.

janbran said:
Hey marrymenatalie, I think you're right. This girl is probably lying...or...mistaken with another school.

Anyway, you mentioned that you've interviewed at all CA schools. Did you apply really early (If you don't mind me asking)? Have you been accepted to any school? Good luck.

Yeah, I turned in all my supplemental applications before September and PharmCAS sent in my application mid-Sept. I've already been accepted to WesternU, but I'm waiting on decisions from a few other schools too. So, yeah for other people applying next year, my best advice is to apply really early for schools doing rolling admissions, and good luck everyone.

Oh man! I can't believe that happened! Hopefully you'll be able to resend in your application. It's not your fault that UCSF didn't receive it. And plus, the supplemental application was sooo long so I'm sure you don't want to have worked hard on all your essays for nothing.

blizz said:

blizz said:

I think that is totally unfair and could have been worse if it was rolling admissions. But regardless of whether the schools follow rolling or not, your application didn't get reviewed yet. I hope they send out more interview invites. They should definately put you as an exception!

It turns out that the actual pharmacy school lost my application, not the mail room! I can't believe that happened! Well they gave me an exception and said I can send it in by tomorrow. Thank goodness for making a 2nd copy. I just hope my admissions status won't be lowered or anything because it's pretty late in the game :D

interview invites won't come until about christmas-new years time. good luck everyone.

blizz said:
It turns out that the actual pharmacy school lost my application, not the mail room! I can't believe that happened! Well they gave me an exception and said I can send it in by tomorrow. Thank goodness for making a 2nd copy. I just hope my admissions status won't be lowered or anything because it's pretty late in the game :D

Hey blizz, how were you able to get in contact with them? UCSF lost one of my rec letters and might cancel my app because of that. =( I've sent them an email, but I still haven't heard back. And I've tried calling numerous times and it's always that automated service! argh! Thanks in advance. ;)

cheesygal said:
Hey blizz, how were you able to get in contact with them? UCSF lost one of my rec letters and might cancel my app because of that. =( I've sent them an email, but I still haven't heard back. And I've tried calling numerous times and it's always that automated service! argh! Thanks in advance. ;)

Did UCSF give you an cancellation letter, or did you get a complete application email? If you received the complete email then you are fine. If they canceled your application, you would have received a letter in the mail already.

I emailed them at their email address listed on their website, the one that begins with osaca... they respond very quickly, turnaround time is in a day. If you emailed them on the weekend, wait for business hours for them to respond. If all else fails, you can contact any of the staff's email directly (listed on their webpage).

I know how you feel, cheesygal! If you want to call them and the automated response comes on, press "1" then "6" and it'll transfer you to someone. Hope that helps, and good luck. :D

so you really do have to submit your Fall 2005 grades before UCSF can continue evaluating your applications? had anyone received an interview from UCSF WITHOUT sending them their fall grades of their senior year?

nghs2002 said:
so you really do have to submit your Fall 2005 grades before UCSF can continue evaluating your applications? had anyone received an interview from UCSF WITHOUT sending them their fall grades of their senior year?

I'm pretty sure that if their website says they'll be sending out interview letters late-Dec till January --then without a doubt, for some, it's very possible that they may be invited for an interview without the adcom's immediate need to see their Fall 2005 grades for further evaluation, at that point. As a matter of fact, I think it takes awhile for Fall grades to come out and also for PharmCAS to recieve sent transcripts and for PharmCAS to re-calculate your new G.P.A. Therefore, those that get the invitation early on must be, in some way, really stellar students who have already shown a consistent, successful completion of classes.

But don't worry, if UCSF has invited you for an interview, they'll still do a transcript follow-up until your last semester/quarter has ended. Good luck to you!

For all of you guys that might be interested...UCSF is finally DONE evaluating applications and will send out letters of invitations for interviews TOMORROW..holy COW!!! this is either gonna be a good christmas or a bitter one...i have a feeling my christmas is probably gonna be a bitter one...sheesh..

nghs2002 said:
For all of you guys that might be interested...UCSF is finally DONE evaluating applications and will send out letters of invitations for interviews TOMORROW..holy COW!!! this is either gonna be a good christmas or a bitter one...i have a feeling my christmas is probably gonna be a bitter one...sheesh..

How do you know this?

Their website says that they will be closed from Thursday, December 22nd to January 1st so this makes sense. I hate the wait!

nghs2002 said:

Thanks for the info nghs2002. Heheh, I'm ready to have a bitter christmas!!

xturquoise said:
Their website says that they will be closed from Thursday, December 22nd to January 1st so this makes sense. I hate the wait!

I was out of the country during the holidays when I applied, and no one was checking my (postal=snail) mail, which was a big mistake... I do not know how they are sending out interview invitations this year (or how they did it in 2004), but what happened 2 years ago is that they send you a letter (in a regular #10 envelope) with a URL that you have to go to to CONFIRM your interview time/date. I remember this b/c i BARELY made the deadline, the deadline to confirm my interview was on Monday and I had gotten all my mail after i got back on Sunday.

Tom, you know what they did in winter 2004- was it the same process?

As for changing the time/date etc for your interview, try not to have to do it. They are juggling 250+ interviews (usually) and it's best to just go with the flow and 'do as they request.' Once you are accepted, you can voice your opinions and make some noise.

In other words, just because their offices say they are closed between that time, don't ignore your mailboxes! the Osaca is a hard working group of people (The person who made that 'incompetent' remark a few threads ago is completely out of line) and you will hear news in the next 3 to 4 weeks for sure!

Good luck, everyone!
:luck:

nghs2002 said:

well at this point, i'm just gonna leave it up to fate. if it's meant to be, then it's meant to be. besides..they look at about 1200 applicants and have 250 invites for interviews.. that's insane competition!! and plus, if i don't get a letter of invitation...i'll just gladly know that i won't have to take some time off of school, book an expensive plane ticket, find a hotel, find out the area of UCSF-- 'cause I'm not from San Fran and so on....so yah, i would be avoiding stress level if i don't get an interview...we'll see.

and by the way, i knew that UCSF would be mailing in their letters of decision today (12/21) because I called the admissions office the day before and they lady confirmed to me everything. and plus, i'm glad i called because then i was able to get my mailing address change temporarily since i am home for the holidays.

so it's either gonna be a Merry Christmas or as Scrooge would say.."hum bug"..ha!

nghs2002 said:
well at this point, i'm just gonna leave it up to fate. if it's meant to be, then it's meant to be. besides..they look at about 1200 applicants and have 250 invites for interviews.. that's insane competition!! and plus, if i don't get a letter of invitation...i'll just gladly know that i won't have to take some time off of school, book an expensive plane ticket, find a hotel, find out the area of UCSF-- 'cause I'm not from San Fran and so on....so yah, i would be avoiding stress level if i don't get an interview...we'll see.

and by the way, i knew that UCSF would be mailing in their letters of decision today (12/21) because I called the admissions office the day before and they lady confirmed to me everything. and plus, i'm glad i called because then i was able to get my mailing address change temporarily since i am home for the holidays.

so it's either gonna be a Merry Christmas or as Scrooge would say.."hum bug"..ha!

I wonder if they send their batch of interview letters out only once...anyhow, ~1200 applicants and only 250 invites? Wow, okay, it's up to fate! :(

Apteka said:
I was out of the country during the holidays when I applied, and no one was checking my (postal=snail) mail, which was a big mistake... I do not know how they are sending out interview invitations this year (or how they did it in 2004), but what happened 2 years ago is that they send you a letter (in a regular #10 envelope) with a URL that you have to go to to CONFIRM your interview time/date. I remember this b/c i BARELY made the deadline, the deadline to confirm my interview was on Monday and I had gotten all my mail after i got back on Sunday.

Tom, you know what they did in winter 2004- was it the same process?

As for changing the time/date etc for your interview, try not to have to do it. They are juggling 250+ interviews (usually) and it's best to just go with the flow and 'do as they request.' Once you are accepted, you can voice your opinions and make some noise.

In other words, just because their offices say they are closed between that time, don't ignore your mailboxes! the Osaca is a hard working group of people (The person who made that 'incompetent' remark a few threads ago is completely out of line) and you will hear news in the next 3 to 4 weeks for sure!

Good luck, everyone!
:luck:

yup, they give you a url and then you put in your name to accept the interview date.

and for those who freak out about the big envelope/small envelope thing, ucsf sends out all their responses, including acceptances after interviews, in regular letter envelopes. good luck everyone.

tom

nghs2002 said:

So according to nghs2002, since UCSF sent out letter on 12/21, has anyone gotten a letter from them yet??? I got all JUNK mails.... :rolleyes:

i got a letter on 12/19 for ucsf :)

jky007 said:

CONGRATS! I am so happy for you! Now it's my turn to wait :(

jky007 said:

I thought UCSF doesn't send anything untill 12/21. I guess I was wrong. Well, congratulation :) . When is your interview?

jky007 said:

congrats! how long did they give you to reply to the invite? I have to see if I need to drive back to my apartment anytime soon.

jky007 said:

weirdness!! Well I talked to the admissions lady of UCSF Pharmacy on the phone and she told me that they would mail out invites and denial letters on December 21st. Maybe she meant it was the last batch of letters that they were finished evaluating..hmm..hey jky007, since you already got a reply from them, did that include your fall 2005 grades? the reason I'm asking is because when I called the lady on the phone that day (12/20), I was still in the middle of finals and so I didn't want UCSF to deny my applications just because I didn't submit my grades on time.

Hmm... I don't get it, so if jky007 got an invite on the 19th and UCSF mailed out rejections/denials on the 21st...
Would that mean those who didn't get an invite already should be getting a rejection/denial letter soon???

blizz said:
Hmm... I don't get it, so if jky007 got an invite on the 19th and UCSF mailed out rejections/denials on the 21st...
Would that mean those who didn't get an invite already should be getting a rejection/denial letter soon???

Hmmm. If they sent out the invites and rejections already, snail mail must be taking a long time. I haven't received anything from UCSF (but I seriously doubt that I'll be offered an invitation anyways) and I live in the city. Well, maybe my denial will come on Christmas eve. :D I won't let it ruin my holiday.

Congrats to everyone who receive an invite! :thumbup:

blizz said:

what I meant to say on my previous post is that the lady told me that they would send out acceptance AND rejected letters for interviews on the 21st. I didn't mean to say that they would ONLY mail out the denial letters...sorry, I guess all this waiting has just made me jump into conclusions that I probably didn't get an invite. But, I find it very weird too that ONLY 1 person has heard from UCSF. And by the way, did that person even get an invite for an interview..he/she didn't specify on their thread. According to the lady, invitations would be via MAIL ONLY..so don't expect an email or anything thinking that you might also hear from the school electronically.

Both my wife and I applied to UCSF and yesterday she received an invite and I received nothing. The mail must be very unpredictable right now.

nghs2002 said:
what I meant to say on my previous post is that the lady told me that they would send out acceptance AND rejected letters for interviews on the 21st. I didn't mean to say that they would ONLY mail out the denial letters...sorry, I guess all this waiting has just made me jump into conclusions that I probably didn't get an invite. But, I find it very weird too that ONLY 1 person has heard from UCSF. And by the way, did that person even get an invite for an interview..he/she didn't specify on their thread. According to the lady, invitations would be via MAIL ONLY..so don't expect an email or anything thinking that you might also hear from the school electronically.

hey nghs2002, is it true that they also send out rejection letters this early? since they're not rolling admissions, shouldn't this mean they try to notify everyone at once with admission or rejection letters. I thought they would notify everyone of their status not until after march--like, sometime around the first of April? Or....it could be that flat-out rejection letters come out sooner, and only those who are accepted or denied after interviews, or put at alternates after the interviews, are notified by April 1st?

this is different from schools that do rolling admissions, where they admit students as the class gets filled up and are quicker at looking at your applications and giving you the notice of acceptance or rejection within weeks of the interview.