This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benzo007

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am having trouble deciding between these two great medical schools. I am really interested in Orthopedic surgery so whichever program gives me an advantage in matching is a plus. My scholarship at Vanderbilt is full tuition so that would save me a lot of debt! UCSF financial package is very minimal forcing me to take out loans. Any thoughts or opinions would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

UCSF Pros
- The curriculum seems very chill
- Pass/fail clinical
- Located in San Francisco so west coast vibes
- Good weather
- Top 5 med school so might give me more cushion for matching ortho
- Diverse
UCSF Cons
- Pretty much full price. OOS
- Expensive cost of living

Vandy Pros
- 1 year preclinical
- 1 year dedicated to research for residency
- Full tuition scholarship
- Cheaper cost of living
- Weather
-Closer to home
- Higher average STEP, perhaps due to students or to preparation?
Vandy Cons
- Concerned about matching Orthopedic
- Not as prestigous
- Not as diverse?

Members don't see this ad.

You won't have any trouble matching into ortho from Vanderbilt, so I'd remove that from your list of negatives. Out of a class of ~90, they've matched 4, 6, 6, and 3 into ortho in the last 4 years. In that same time frame, UCSF has matched ?(number not available for 2019), 5, 4, and 1 out of a class of ~150. So actually, a substantially larger percent of the class has matched ortho from Vanderbilt in recent years.

These were Vanderbilt's matches (UCSF's aren't available):
Columbia
Duke
Carolinas med center
Carolinas med center

Vanderbilt
UTSW
University of Saskatchewan
Utah
UC Davis
Madigan Army Medical center

Mayo
Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Iowa
UChicago

USC
NYU
Florida

Now, if you had more specific goals than just matching ortho (like you want to match ortho specifically at UCSF, or ortho specifically on the west coast) UCSF might then confer an advantage. Similarly, if you changed your mind to another specialty, Vanderbilt will match you well, but UCSF might be preferable if you specifically want to be at UCSF or on the west coast for residency.

Ultimately, I think you'll have to attend second looks and evaluate based on fit. Just know that when you make a choice, you're choosing to spend that 150-200k mostly on qualitative value rather than practical/functional value.

Sources:
Match Day
Post-Match Reports | UCSF Medical Education

Reactions: 1 user
How certain are that you're going to do Ortho? Because if you're dead set on it, then the cost difference isn't really going to make a difference on an orthopedic surgeon's salary, IMO

Members don't see this ad :)
How certain are that you're going to do Ortho? Because if you're dead set on it, then the cost difference isn't really going to make a difference on an orthopedic surgeon's salary, IMO
Pretty certain! I've done a lot of shadowing and out of the surgical subspecialities I really like ortho! Plus I'm the perfect ortho sterotype, I workout and play sports haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Well the cost difference is about 120k, which is a large difference but not unacceptably large. Given that you're dead set on ortho, i'd probably go with UCSF

You won't have any trouble matching into ortho from Vanderbilt, so I'd remove that from your list of negatives. Out of a class of ~90, they've matched 4, 6, 6, and 3 into ortho in the last 4 years. In that same time frame, UCSF has matched ?(number not available for 2019), 5, 4, and 1 out of a class of ~150. So actually, a substantially larger percent of the class has matched ortho from Vanderbilt in recent years.

These were Vanderbilt's matches (UCSF's aren't available):
Columbia
Duke
Carolinas med center
Carolinas med center

Vanderbilt
UTSW
University of Saskatchewan
Utah
UC Davis
Madigan Army Medical center

Mayo
Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Iowa
UChicago

USC
NYU
Florida

Now, if you had more specific goals than just matching ortho (like you want to match ortho specifically at UCSF, or ortho specifically on the west coast) UCSF might then confer an advantage. Similarly, if you changed your mind to another specialty, Vanderbilt will match you well, but UCSF might be preferable if you specifically want to be at UCSF or on the west coast for residency.

Ultimately, I think you'll have to attend second looks and evaluate based on fit. Just know that when you make a choice, you're choosing to spend that 150-200k mostly on qualitative value rather than practical/functional value.

Sources:
Match Day
Post-Match Reports | UCSF Medical Education
True! Vandy does match pretty well into ortho, but their STEP average is higher by like five points. So do you attribute their match advtantage to the schools reputation or the higher STEP scores? I believe I will do well on STEP, but I want every advantage that I can get because you just never know how test day is going to go.

Pretty certain! I've done a lot of shadowing and out of the surgical subspecialities I really like ortho! Plus I'm the perfect ortho sterotype, I workout and play sports haha.
Interested in Ortho too but definitely don't fit the stereotype. Lol why is that a thing?

I would personally take the full tuition at vandy but if you're definitely set on Ortho like others mentioned the loans probably won't be much of an issue. The only thing to consider is if you for some reason change your mind later then vandy might give you more flexibility (if you fall in love with primary care for example that 120k less in loans will melt it much easier to commit to primary care).

Your pros from Vanderbilt seem to be bigger than those for UCSF (minus the prestige). Their curriculum has been copied in some form by other top programs (HMS and Michigan), so they're doing something right. UCSF is definitely a stronger brand name in medicine and would probably give you a bit of a leg up applying for top residencies all else being equal, but if you use that research year well at Vandy you'll be golden.

I would recommend Vandy in your case - on one hand UCSF has stronger name in medicine and slightly stronger in ortho, which can help in some cases when all else is equal. But on the other, Vandy has a very strong record of matching students into top ortho programs.

Furthermore having a full research year to crank out pubs is very very important. Vandy being a private school is also nice - they really take care of their students there, as evidenced in part by the high step scores, generally high student satisfaction, and phenomenal advising/student support. At UCSF you will have to take more of the initiative as it is not as nurturing a place. It is a rather intense atmosphere despite being on west coast.

I think overall your path to ortho may be a bit easier coming out of vandy actually. They have a more consistent track record in matching ortho, they have a dedicated research year, and they have very high step scores. Thats the perfect recipe for matching ortho. If you prefer Vandy, thats the icing on the cake and I would go there without any regrets.

Vandy, especially bc of the scholarship. Plus you will likely be able to live for less than the cost of living allowance as offered by Vandy.

There is no question that you can match well into ORTHO, from Vandy, if you do well on your rotations, and on your step exams. No residency program director will take a UCSF student over a Vandy student just bc of the medical school. It will depend on audition rotations, research, Step scores etc. And given that Vandy will allow you to start research after the first year, it is particularly good for students who "know" they want to do a particular competitive residency.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone! I am having trouble deciding between these two great medical schools. I am really interested in Orthopedic surgery so whichever program gives me an advantage in matching is a plus. My scholarship at Vanderbilt is full tuition so that would save me a lot of debt! UCSF financial package is very minimal forcing me to take out loans. Any thoughts or opinions would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

UCSF Pros
- The curriculum seems very chill
- Pass/fail clinical
- Located in San Francisco so west coast vibes
- Good weather
- Top 5 med school so might give me more cushion for matching ortho
- Diverse
UCSF Cons
- Pretty much full price. OOS
- Expensive cost of living

Vandy Pros
- 1 year preclinical
- 1 year dedicated to research for residency
- Full tuition scholarship
- Cheaper cost of living
- Weather
-Closer to home
- Higher average STEP, perhaps due to students or to preparation?
Vandy Cons
- Concerned about matching Orthopedic
- Not as prestigous
- Not as diverse?

An oldie but goodie..Vandy all the way baby!

what's your estimated cost of living for SF? Rents have been going up crazy for last couple of years.

If you are set on a high paying specialty, I would not worry as much about cost. UCSF is an incredible school, and Vanderbilt also has a great name, but their accelerated curriculum can keep you from getting into research during those first two years. I would lean toward UCSF with the top 5 name and definitely for the diversity of the West Coast.