UCSF or UCLA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I miss socal weather :(

Members don't see this ad.

Me too :( I'm across the bay from you at Berkeley

Well, another fact:
If i ever going to leave So Cal,
now it is the perfect opportunity.
I mean, most likely i will come back to So Cal after graduation,
but at least now I get a chance to experience and get crushed by the "cold" weather and a good dental school.

TinkerBell,
I am wondering if you could send us any link about the new curriculum or the renovation stuff. Is there a website that we could learn more? Thanks.

Man, why should I be a research who looks at facts and evidence...
It just seems that almost all the academic aspect,
UCSF will prepare me better.
BUT, I saw the "state of the art sim lab" at USC today.
The lab seems kinda old. I was not impressed at first, but judging how "old" the place is, they probably put in sim lab before UCLA or UCSF got theirs. I mean, USC and UCLA is and will be paperless. For me, now it raises a concern for UCSF. Is UCSF just slow on renovation or technological changes? So now they will have new stuff cos of slow progression to new tech or otherwise?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a 2nd yr dental student at UCLA. I too had to make the difficult choice in choosing bw the two UCs. I grew up in SoCal, but I'm a S.F. person at heart. My initial 1st choice was UCSF, but in the end I decided to go w/ UCLA because of the grading system here (P/NP) and excellent board scores (91 avg). Although, I wanted to live in S.F. because it's my favorite city, I figured I can always move back up and practice there some day. UCSF is a well known school, if not more than UCLA since UCLA opened its doors late 60's and UCSF is much older. As for clinical experience at UCLA, I think it's fairly strong here. I will be seeing patients every week (operative, fixed, perio). And as for faculty, the majority of the faculty here are UCLA grads. I must say UCLA is very challenging, at least for me, but I would think UCSF is tough as well. Congratulations on your acceptances to both schools. I understand your dilemna, bc I've been there and it's a tough choice. I really respect both schools.

Thank you for all your inputs.
UCSF is changing to P/F system.
In addition, they combine some courses together to free time.

hopefully,
not having enough patients has been a problem with UCLA.
I am wondering if you know there are proposed solutions to solve that problem and how efficient are they?
Thanks

Bumping old thread (hope that's okay). :oops:

tinker bell said:
The rest are from other state colleges and of course, BYU.

And that number fluctuates every now and then. But it is a pretty stable number. If you are ucsd alumni, you will be pretty much the minority here.

I would even say that if you graduate from BYU, you will have much more many friends in dental school, regardless where you go.

OMG!! Yeah, what is up with UCSF and BYU? A third of the people at my UCSF interview were from BYU. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just found that a bit unusual considering everybody else was from different schools.

that's pretty funny. i think there are a lot of mormon's in dental schools all over the US because of the opportunity to help people, the great job security and the time available to spend with family that comes with the dental profession (actually i think that's appealing to pretty much everyone). we have 7 mormons (6 guys and 1 girl) out of the 81 people in our class.