UCSF or UCLA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess this is becoming a fashion.
So i decide to join the crowd.
Even though I have not got into UCSF,
this is the only school that will steal me from UCLA.

Please adds pros and cons about the two schools.

Also, if you have any info about housing.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

tough choice...
i'm a bruin so i'm gonna be biased...ucla all the way!
we have westwood village...the beaches close by...the hollywood/LA nightlife...awesome weather (ambient 70 smtg most of the time)...etc... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
StarGirl,
I just pmed you.
EC

SF is a fun place to live too, man! I'll bet your classmates are more fun up here! And UCSF will also be P/F next year due to curriculum rennovation.

Originally posted by Loudy
And UCSF will also be P/F next year due to curriculum rennovation.

are u sure about this? i didn't hear anything about this when i interviewed there.......if it's true then i think ucsf goes up for me between ucla and ucsf...(not like i've been accepted to any of them...i'm just saying)

Yes, UCSF is changing to P/F system
plus the proposed curriculum change will free up time for students to do independent learning.

Well, the problem is that they are progressing and it is not a done deal yet. I am sure the curriculum will change somehow, but how much is my concern. Does anyone get more info about this?

P/F = Pass/Fail instead of letter grades.

new curriculum, more clinic time.

First years have 2 period of ISO... Independent study time.... free periods ... I think half day friday and monday...

more clinic time and less didactic work...

Originally posted by busdriver
are u sure about this? i didn't hear anything about this when i interviewed there.......if it's true then i think ucsf goes up for me between ucla and ucsf...(not like i've been accepted to any of them...i'm just saying)

Well, once a dream, now a reality.
I am delighted and excited to get accepted to both UC's.
I want to make decision asap cos I dont want to hold a position for anyone. If you would please share your opinion at both schools, I really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Congrats Eric.
Wow, I'm so happy for you. In state tuition!!!!
Kendra

Members don't see this ad :)
eric,

Congratulations on acceptances! :clap:
Is there a siginificant difference of tuition/cost of living between two schools?

Congratulations! Wow, an acceptance to both UCs! Just curious, when did you interview at UCSF Ecdoesit?

Thanks everyone.

My UCLA interivew was on jan 21st
and my UCSF interview was on Feb 2nd.

I expect roughly 40% increase in tuition next year. I would be glad if it is 30%... Living cost is about the same. But transportation in SF is better than LA. But weather wise, I like So Cal.

Then I have to consider entertainment.
I love the Lakers, hate the raiders...
Bruins have sports, UCSF have none (only Berkeley across the bay).

Both are excellent research school with UCSF getting the most money from grants. This is something that I have seriously considered.

LA is closer to home, but in SF, I have like at least 6 uncles/aunts up there to take care of me. Wont feel lonely either way.

The staff in UCLA seems more energtic though. I tried to call UCSF a couple times, the staff are like tired or something...

The curriculum change in UCSF is a huge plus. Everybody loves more "free" time, right? and the P/F system.

Well, I dont really want to start a poll, but this is my checklist. Please feel free to add or give me more ideas. Thank you.

Congrats Eric!

LA has P/F too! We have sunshine...westwood village..hollywood...undergrads (more of a college environment)! :p

remember now..so cal sticks with so cal! kidding

my opinion is biased though

of cos, ucla has you too.
dont discount that.
it seems i know a lot more people (like 2-4 than 1-2 in ucsf)
who are SDNers, hum...

ya, but students at ucla dont get enough patients...

yeah..getting enough patients is a problem..since we're right smack dab in a rich neighborhood..why would these rich people want to come to us? of course they're gonna go to the dentists in the neighborhood.

however, we're trying to solve this problem..instead of waiting around for patients to come to us...we're gonna reach out and go to them!

how exactly do we tackle those patients to be treated?
i mean, how do we tackle the problem to get more patients?

my interviewer and some students told me they are expanding their mobile clinics as well as setting up clinics in "problem" areas where there is a need for dental care.

Both schools are fine instituition. However, in regard of research grants:
UCSF: 20 millions/yr vs UCLA: 4 millions/yr.

If you go to UCLA, don't blame us that we didn't tell you this: ucsf is totally renovating the preclinical lab (It's gonna cost at least 2 mil). And you will be using the brand new lab. I don't know how good the lab at ucla is. But remember, you will be the first class to use the brand new lab.

And the new curriculum will make you one of the best clinical dental student in the nation. If you can do crown prep like a pro only in your second quarter in dental school. And easy, system classes, with very few exams.

Make your choice carefully, and good luck wherever you go.

Thank you all for your valuable information.
This is going to be a tough decision.
I agree that either one is an excellent institution.
So this is why it is tough to drop one excellent institution.
UCSF won the curriculum side.
UCLA won the feeling side. I feel a bit more comfortable there.
I think I will volunteer at UCLA for some time to find out more about the school.

Does anyone know if there is any summer research program for incoming students for either sch?

Thanks.

usually, the residency students at ucla, like in pedo or ortho or wherever are always conducting research. i was going to help one out but i couldn't fit it in my schedule. you should definitely try volunteering there and while you're at it talk to steve klein (the main supervisor that sets u up and all) and tell him that you're really interested in research and he'll probably hook u up. if you tell him that you're going to be a dental student then i'm sure everything will be fine.

Thanks, Busdriver
Actually I had lunch with Mr. Klein before.
I am not ready to pack up and leave San Diego yet.

Do you know if the clinic is going to be open during the summer?
If so, I plan to volunteer then.
Getta know the area and the people.
Get use to the school and stuff.

Also, trying to find some kinda research to do as well.

I also volunteered with steve klein and he wrote me a letter of req for UCLA. Good guy to know and after doing his program we have kept in touch. If you go and talk to him I am sure he will be able to get you on track.

This is my gut feeling among those three choices.
I agree if you just want to specialize, your first choice should be Harvard by a small margin. Your chance to get in from UC are proabbly just as good.
Their clinical side is really bad, however.

UCLA and UCSF.
They both will hit by the financial crisis.
UCSF may have the edge because they have a lot more research funding to back them up.
Again, the difference is small.

UCLA Board score is top 2 in the nation.
I doubt UCSF would do significantly worse.

Both places have their facility remodelled.
Though UCLA was built about 20-30 yrs ago.
While UCSF is old.

Faculty and staff:
For some reason, I feel UCLA people are more energetic. Due to people there, weather, or other reasons... I have the feeling that I am home. But UCSF is a lot more professional-like.

living cost is about the same.
you may actually have a chance to live on-campus at ucsf!!

O, one unique thing about UCSF is their clinic. As I come to it, their clinic has huge windows that is open everyday to expose their view of the golden gate park. but at ucla, most blinds are closed...

Weather

Opportunities available:
i have to give credit to ucsf with their new curriculum.
with more free time to students, they can do more stuff...
hopefully less competitive since they move to P/F system.

People around you:
I like UCLA a lot better cos I m not just dealing with health professionals or patients all 4 yrs.
While I could actually see other students as well.

My first round decision is UCLA.
Mainly because the "People around you"
I came from a place that has no sports nor non-science people not much non-premeds.
so i would like to see a more diversified professional group of people.

WOW, today, I found that acceptance letter is not the happiest thing. I got 3 acceptances letters from the same school!! That's from UCSF. One from admission office, two from different deans. Thank you so much for your handwritten personal comments. That really means a lot to me. Wow, I am obviously very happy. And now I am still enjoying the moment. Not yet "seriously" deciding where to go.

eric...i forgot to mention that they're building some graduate housing facilities right in westwood village. it's supposed to be finished in 2005...should be something similar to vanderbilt at Harvard but nicer, more spacious, and newer. it'll be kinda nice to be living with a buncha grad students from different fields no? u get the interaction minus the blasting music from undergrads who still have it easy? this is a good thing since rent is soooo high for one bedrooms and studios close by campus...so something to consider in making your decision. :)

Come to UCSF, and live at Aldea Sanmiguel. You live right next to the chancellor (a nobel laureate). Seeing him for real is another cool thing. And Aldea is like another world of itself. There is a shuttle 5 min drive you down the hill right into your class.

ecdoesit, you didn't mention the patient pool & clinical training. Talking about that, ucsf will win you over.

Also, don't even care about ndbe1 if you don't plan to specialize. What you care is your california license board. For many years, ucsf students always pass the board with higher rate than ucla. Many of my classmates have their sibblings go to ucla (D2, 3, 4) and they choose to come to UCSF because they think they will be in better shape clinical wise. You will be surprise at how good your clinical skill can get after only two quarters in school.

Tink

hi, tinker bell,
awhile ago, you wrote

"ucsf is totally renovating the preclinical lab"

Have they renovated already? Or they will start the project this summer? I have visited the sim lab or the lab on 4th floor many many times. It doesnt impress me that much.

However, UCLA has also renovated their place as well. I took a class in their new CE classroom. And visited the sim lab(students need to share) and the 2nd year lab room. it is really nice and students are quite happy there, too.

Nah, the lab in the fourth floor will be totally renovated any time soon. They only put in the new monitor, and the network. But next year, it will be truly new.
Now we are still working in the small sim lab down stairs (it's also new). But next year, the whole fourth floor will be just as new

very very tempting.
Man, I hate to be a scientist who focus on evidence...
UCSF definitely gets the clinical/research side.

But one the other hand, I am a psychologist too.
My ego is telling me UCLA.

Your ego is telling you to go to ucla because you are thinking the board score.

However, when the NDBE 1 going for the new format next year, the curriculum will not be ready to prepare you for any of that. On the other hand, we are all prepared for that up here.

And remember, having 99% NDBE1 does not help you practicing dentistry. Only when you hold your CA license in your hand, that's the work permit. There are lots of time, way so many times, at many schools across the nation, those top people in the class, with ortho residency matching but ended up has to stay extra long in the school, can't graduate because they can't finish their clinical requirements. And your patients never care how good you scored on NDBE 1. They don't know what the heck that is. I never asked my orthodontist where he went to school. I don't care. I know that he is good when he works in my mouth, that's all I care, and it's the same for every one.

Alright, Tinker Bell,
thank you for giving us your valuable advice.
We understand UCSF is great.
But I am going to be an annoying English teacher.
Could you give us an counter argument?
If you dont mind, could you say 1 or 2 bad things about UCSF, besides it is old and high living cost. I mean something that is significantly poorer than UCLA.

As posts go by, I am putting more weighs on UCSF.
EC

ok.. seems to me u are very indecisive and really dont have a clue where u really want to go.

look at it this way.... ucsf.... over 90% teaching faculty are gradutes of the school. We don't have traders from UOP or UCLA teaching at our school. What does this tell you? That means that people after graduating this school dont hate it and love coming back.

After visiting UCLA and hearing from students, many lost souls never ever want to go back there. What about faculty- how many instructors are grads of the school?

Cost of living? Where in LA are you going to live? Westwood, Century City, Sunset Plaza, Beverly Center area--- no no no... West Los Angeles and all the other crappy surrounding areas.... Taking the MTA bus with all the other bums on the streets.... rent is just as much there as it is here.... A 1 bdrm turk apart on campus is about 700... and 2 are 1200 ... 600 or even 400 with roommates.... food? westwood village is all up in the cost of living.... where are you gonna eat....? or i assume it will be pizza for 1.50 everyday????

UCSf, we have irving st... right down the street where you can eat a burrito, drink and chips for 4.00. Taking the bus is 1.25... LA transportation is horrible... I am an angelino but I LOVE SF! parking.... I have never had a problem of getting a spot... the most I've waited is 15 mins....

people are better.... in LA... there are no green parks.... its all wilshire and the big buildings....

patients.... will you be standing on the corner of beverly glen and sunset with a sign ' need patients' or will you just walk in and your patient coordinator tell you that you have patients on your waiting list. UCSF is the top dentical provider in California...

think about it...

stop puzzling yourself and make the right decision... go to a school where your heart tells you... obviously SF!!!!!!

and besides... there are no cons..

Originally posted by drdds2007
and besides... there are no cons..

:laugh:

In all seriousness, UCSF is a hard school to turn down. I'm certain that if I applied to and got into UCSF (very hard thing btw, congrats), I'd be overlooking Goldengate Park every day this moment.

If you're using statistics, you can't just use the NBDE numbers. There are so many other factors that are more important than board scores. That's like comparing cars based on 0-60 mph times alone.

UCLA campus is so beautiful. And this is the first time I heard somebody saying "I love SF! parking". I used to live up there for a year. SF parking is the worst of the worst. Probably, that was one of the reasons my family moved downsouth.

BTW, I am planning to get a motorcycle just to sch and home.
It will ease my commute a little bit.

I really dont like the hills in SF. Especially I am driving a stick-shift at other times.... is it easy to find bike parking?

o ya, I am also a lefty, is the facility suitable for lefty users?
thanks.

I don't think parking in SF is that bad. I drive a SUV, and just last weekend, I've been able to go to Fisherman's Wharf, Japan Town, China Town, Union Street and find street parking. If you drive to school, parking is bad around the school, but if you are willing to walk a few blocks, you can find street parking. (some are limited to 2 hrs though--but you can buy permit to park all day). All day weekend, and after 4:45pm on weekdays, UCSF garage only cost $1 to park, or ~$120 for the whole year. Besides, you don't have to drive in SF, you have muni right around the corner, and you can go anywhere you want.

Driving is not as bad in SF than in Westwood. The mad traffic in LA is the worst! I am very happy to be in SF with a car. Just make sure when you find apartments, they have available parking space for ya.

Oh, a few of my classmates also drive motorcycle. There are parking spots for them, so it's very easy to find parking for a bike.

The dental school facility allows you to use your left hand at ease. I remember there are chairs in SIMLAB for left hand people. Some of our clinical professors are lefty:p

More about UCSF apartments, I live in Aldea right now, 1 bed room with parking costs $860. If you are not able to get UCSF apartment, you can get 1 bed room apartment 2 blocks from school for ~$1100. I think this is cheaper than Westwood!

Come to UCSF, you will love it! there are so much things to do here, and you don't have to get stuck in traffic for hours to get there...yes I am talking about Freeway 405. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Apartment rent for SF and westwood are about the same...not cheap for either place.

I must say though...transportation is a major problem here in LA..especially if you're trying to go east during rush hour! That's the problem with LA county..everything is spaced out so that you pretty much have to drive to get to places (unless you take the MTA but it takes forever). Everything's pretty convenient in Westwood village though (walking distance) so you won't have to worry about driving around if you live close to campus.

That's the truth of it.
I personally chose to stay in LA because I'm a person who loves driving around (I'm a car fanatic who likes to fix up cars and race 'em), staying in the sun, and partying on the weekends with friends. So it really depends on the type of person you are. In addition to that, there are a lot of things to do here and a lot of places to go ...santa monica 3rd street, pasadena, hollywood, new chinatown in the san gabriel valley (the best chinese food u can find anywhere), lotta theme parks, shopping areas, LA clubs and bars (which, my norcal friends agree, beats the night scene up north), etc.

Both are great schools..just go to wherever you think you'll be happy.

Well, things to do is pretty similar in SF and LA.
I guess really depends on individual preference.
Though LA still has the sunshine and the famous smog.
Well, I have been living in SD for 9 years.
I really wouldnt mind living in the "cold and cloudy" weather for awhile. Cos after that 4 yrs, I might stay in SD for the rest of my life. :laugh:

O, I forgot to mention one crucial component to make my decision:
my cool classmates. I understand that your classmates will stuck with you for a life-time. The developed bond is very valuable to me. So far, I know MORE people who is going to UCLA in my class. (Please stick with your choice ;) ) And they are all very very nice people. According to the theory So Cal stays in So Cal, I hope most people will be practicing in So Cal, then we could keep in touch easier.

There are quite a few of my classmates that are from SoCal, myself included.

I had to make the same choice last year. At the end, I chose UCSF over UCLA. one major problem that UCLA has is: LACK OF PATIENTS! This is such an important factor. More important than having classmates that you know prior to entering the school, the social environment, weather, etc.

Ask Tinkerbell about how many patients we get here, we have plenty!

Hi ecdoesit. Just wanted to say a few things about my school:

I would say your relationship with your classmates is a vitally important part to an enjoyable and fulfilling experience in dental school. I have never met a more outstanding group of individuals than my classmates here at UCLA and they honestly make my life much easier. Competition at some dental schools can get pretty rough, but it's amazing how much we help each other out here. Our class made a commitment to work together to get through the next four years, rather than competing and working against eachother. Whoever it was earlier in the thread that said UCLA students are unhappy and leave the school disgruntled is full of crap; the exact opposite is true. I love it here, and I don't know of anyone who doesn't. I am extremely happy with my choice.

With regards to the living situation and traffic, I would say that neither of these are concerns for me. I live 5 minutes walking distance from the dental school in a one bedroom apartment and pay $900 a month. I don't drive anywhere because everything I need is within walking distance, and therefore don't deal with traffic. The supermarket is down the street from me as are many fastfood restaurants. I would say roughly half the class is in a similar position, and if you decide to come to this school I would advise the same. You can't beat convenience, especially when you're bogged down with your studying.

The debate over weather is a no-brainer. It's beautiful here throughout the year. You can't beat the sunny Westwood climate. Nuff said.

The sim lab where you'll be spending much of your life is brand new. If you haven't seen it already you should come and check it out. And the faculty is great too, very helpful and very friendly.

As a side note, you go to UCSD, do you not? We were told during orientation at UCLA SOD that UCSD places more dental students into dental school than any other university in the country. Thought that was pretty cool. Go Tritons!

UCSD places more student into dental school than any other schools? That's new to me.

For years, at UCSF, it's probably because we are far from San Diego, but we don't have that many students from San Diego.

Break down of my class:

15 UCB
15 UCD
5 UCLA
2 UCSB
2 UCSD
2 UCI

The rest are from other state colleges and of course, BYU.

And that number fluctuates every now and then. But it is a pretty stable number. If you are ucsd alumni, you will be pretty much the minority here.

I would even say that if you graduate from BYU, you will have much more many friends in dental school, regardless where you go.

Originally posted by tinker bell
UCSD places more student into dental school than any other schools? That's new to me.

For years, at UCSF, it's probably because we are far from San Diego, but we don't have that many students from San Diego.

Break down of my class:

15 UCB
15 UCD
5 UCLA
2 UCSB
2 UCSD
2 UCI

The rest are from other state colleges and of course, BYU.

And that number fluctuates every now and then. But it is a pretty stable number. If you are ucsd alumni, you will be pretty much the minority here.

I would even say that if you graduate from BYU, you will have much more many friends in dental school, regardless where you go.

It was news to me when I heard it as well. I wish I could confirm whether or not it is in fact true. There are alot of UCSD grads in our first year class, but like you said, I think its a function of UCLA's relative proximity to San Diego. I think there are 17 or so in our class of 88 that are UCSD alumni. I can't remember the exact number.

OMG...is it really true that incoming dental students have to spend like 15,000 dollars for dental kit? What the heck? That is so much money!

Originally posted by miravyn
OMG...is it really true that incoming dental students have to spend like 15,000 dollars for dental kit? What the heck? That is so much money!

I think it's closer to 13K for UCLA 1st year. What is it for UCSF 1st years? 9k? But, yeah, it's a lot at the UCs.

I believe UCSD sent in 56 students to dental schools last year. We ranked 3rd (not that ranking matters) I believe Utah schools are placed 1st and 2nd.

Interesting stats, Tinkerbell.
I guess it is really Nor. Cal to Nor. cal
and So. Cal to So Cal...

I have just came back from USC PBL interview.
You know, I really like their concept about applying what we know on a real case. The concept makes sense, but I think the hybrid program would work better.

Anyway, need to run
talk more later