UCSF Fresno: good program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering UCSF-Fresno as a top choice for me to train at, and I was really attracted by the 3 allowed electives during PGY-1.

I was told that call is really q8 even though it is q4 (because two interns can split it up), and I need some first-hand experience with this program.

Is it a nurturing program, or is it perceived to be malignant?

The residents there seemed pretty happy, and they have a new hospital that they are moving in to.

Any complaints or thoughts from anyone who had first hand experience there?

I know about the non-compliant Hmong population but I don't mind that too much.

I don't care if their medicine program is not as strong as UCSF or anything, just want to know if it is a do-able residency without too much malignancy.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering UCSF-Fresno as a top choice for me to train at, and I was really attracted by the 3 allowed electives during PGY-1.

I was told that call is really q8 even though it is q4 (because two interns can split it up), and I need some first-hand experience with this program.

Is it a nurturing program, or is it perceived to be malignant?

The residents there seemed pretty happy, and they have a new hospital that they are moving in to.

Any complaints or thoughts from anyone who had first hand experience there?

I know about the non-compliant Hmong population but I don't mind that too much.

I don't care if their medicine program is not as strong as UCSF or anything, just want to know if it is a do-able residency without too much malignancy.

Thanks.

I have friends in the categorical program right now.. a PGY 1 and 2. I did research with them and both are IMG's.. so as you prolly know.. its a really IMG-friendly program at the Fresno IM program. Dr. Peterson has really worked on the program to improve its overall impression from US-grads. Last year was the first year they matched 100% of their seats.

I think its definately a pleasant place to work. UMC and VA are pretty old, but the new facilities are going to be really nice. There is also a developing fellowship program that will be blossoming in the next few years.

As for the Hmong population, they can be difficult.. but the amount of second generation families are growing and they are much more compliant. If you want you should check out "when the spirit catches you and you fall down" by Anne Fadiman. Its set in the Fresno area and deals with PCP's and their interactions with Hmong patients.

I am originally from Clovis, really close to Fresno and I wouldn't mind doing IM or EM out there. Residency is not easy regardless, so just go with a place you are comfortable with. These are my impressions of the program and mind you I am an M1, so.... I hope this helps you.

thanks for the input. i know im bumping up this thread again but based on my interview there, they value research pretty heavily, and the program has pretty much a complete set of fellowships now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why was this 7 year old thread bumped...?

Ucsf fresno is still a highly IMG friendly place. Wouldn't apply as an AMG , but seems decent enough.

what are the USMLE stats you'd minimally need to get in?

also very new to SDN forum. I'd really appreciate the guidance. Thanks