UCSF disappeared from AMCAS!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dl2dp2

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking over the schools I checked for the AMCAS application "designate medical schools" section. To my shock, UCSF was not part of that list despite the fact that I checked it weeks ago. Neither was it in the list of schools that I didn't check. Did anybody else have the same problem???

Members don't see this ad.

i second that; i emailed them, so we'll see. any other schools mia?

-jot

UCSF just recently decided it is abandoning the MSTP program and will now become a school of ballerina training.

Just kidding. :wink:

I really can't say for sure--must be some sort of bug. Either that or maybe you have to fill out a UC application like last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard UCSF did an early read of the gpa and personal statements of students who selected UCSF, and then deleted their school name from inadequate applications.. :wink:

So maybe if you revise your personal statement, it will reappear? :p

Look...it's just AMCAS. If the 2002 applicants freaked out everytime AMCAS had some problem, we'd all have to have been hospitalized. Get used to this sort of stuff.

Hi guys,

I've been reading these threads for about a week, and UCSF seems to come up a lot. First off, what is UCSF? And why is there so much excitement about it?

UCSF=University of California at San Francisco. It's kinda interesting that a pre-med student from University of Michigan isn't aware of the school, or at least its acronym. That actually says something about the "public" reputation of UCSf outside of the west coast.

In any case, I think it's not an understatement to say that UCSF is one of the best (if not the best) medical schools in the world at the moment. Hence, the excitment...

•••quote:•••Originally posted by sluox:

In any case, I think it's not an understatement to say that UCSF is one of the best (if not the best) medical schools in the world at the moment. Hence, the excitment...•••••you mean, not an overstatement.. :) yes, i think they are too.

hey
I just got an e-mail from AMCAS here it is:

Our records show that you have designated The University of California San Francisco?s (CA 108) Combined Medical Degree/Graduate or Combined Medical Degree/PhD program on your 2003 AMCAS application.

For the 2003 entering class, applicants cannot apply to UCSF?s combined degree program through AMCAS. In order to apply to the Combined Medical Degree/Graduate or Combined Medical Degree/PhD program, please designate UCSF CA 108 Regular MD Program on the AMCAS application. Please visit the UCSF web site <a href="http://www..som.ucsf.edu/som/education/admission/faq.asp" target="_blank">http://www..som.ucsf.edu/som/education/admission/faq.asp</a> for additional information on applying to the combined degree programs.
?
Your corrected designation?must be completed prior to submitting your application to AMCAS. Refunds will not be granted for incorrect designations to the University of California, San Francisco's Combined Medical Degree/Graduate or Combined Medical Degree/PhD programs.
?
AMCAS

UCSF still does not show up on the "designate medical school" section, so there is not way to delete/change the entry :confused: Hopefully they straighten this out by the 12th...

add U Virginia to that list ... i was considering applying there, but there is no option anymore. whatever, we'll see.

Well that makes sense since at UCSF the admissions process is such that your primary application is to the medical school and you then receive an MSTP application with the secondary.

While I'm not surprised that many people outside of medicine and science have never heard of UCSF, I think it is not a matter of public reputation per se, but of public awareness. The UC Medical Center is a major referral center for the Bay Area, California, and the Western U.S. When it comes to certain areas of medicine or surgery, it is THE major referral center (i.e. prion diseases, AIDS, etc). San Francisco General Hospital is the only level-1 trauma center in the city and serves a large population of the homeless and the poor. Additionally, UCSF has an international reputation for its biomedical research, with Nobel prize winners, many members of the National Academy of Sciences, and a plethora of Howard Hughes Medical Investigators. The medical school itself has consistently ranked in the top 10 and is the top public school. Much excitement has been generated as a result of the new curriculum, which features an integrated organ-systems based approach to learning and plenty of free time to explore related or outside interests.

Simon,
If you are curious and want to find out more, I recommend checking out the web site:
<a href="http://www.ucsf.edu" target="_blank">www.ucsf.edu</a>

Also, if you have any specific questions about UCSF, please feel free to contact me (I'm a 1st-year student). :D