UCSF Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think some people are still working hard on their applications, and they don't have time to post :) And others (like myself) already submitted their application, and now all we need to do is wait... :lame: I'm thinking this post will explode once people will start getting interview invites.

Members don't see this ad.

How is everyone's app process going ?

I can't believe this thread is sooo quiet this year, last year our entire class was virtually on SDN in some form or another.

I think it's because everyone knows that there's no way we'll hear anything, whether it be good or bad, before December. Nothin' to do but wait :xf:

did any of you submit your AP scores as well? i'm not sure if i should send it in since all of my prereqs are/will be satisfied before fall 2010.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did. They say to send them in if you are using any of them to satisfy a prereq. For instance, I got a 5 in Calc AB and 4 in Comp&Lit. According to UCSF, these satisfy part/whole prereqs, and since I am using them, I need to send in my scores...even if my college transcript notifies it. So...If you are using AP scores to satisfy prereqs, then you need to send them in. Hope this helps! :)

I did. They say to send them in if you are using any of them to satisfy a prereq. For instance, I got a 5 in Calc AB and 4 in Comp&Lit. According to UCSF, these satisfy part/whole prereqs, and since I am using them, I need to send in my scores...even if my college transcript notifies it. So...If you are using AP scores to satisfy prereqs, then you need to send them in. Hope this helps! :)

hey thanks for the response. are you saying that you don't have any other classes that will satisfy this calculus requirement, so you must use your ap scores? because if you did take college level calculus, then your grades will still override your ap score regardless.

I am about to submit my supplemental and I have a quick question. I did get AP credit for calculus AB in high school. However, I'm using the two calculus courses that I took in college, math9B and math 9C. When I went to assist.org to check the equivalencies, it says that UCSF requires 9A and 9B. But I'm thinking since 9C would work since it is also titled First-Year Calculus.

Has this situation happened to anyone before? What should I do?

hey thanks for the response. are you saying that you don't have any other classes that will satisfy this calculus requirement, so you must use your ap scores? because if you did take college level calculus, then your grades will still override your ap score regardless.

That's not true. They'll just look at the AP scores as long as you put them in your supplemental and include the AP score transcripts and average out any other classes that satisfy the requirement and will ignore all other classes for the supplemental GPA. I took AP Calculus AB and passed out of 1st quarter of 1st year calculus. The second quarter calculus counted for the requirement, but they didn't count the third quarter of 1st year calculus or 1st quarter of multivariate (thank god, since I scored a C in that class). ;)

I am about to submit my supplemental and I have a quick question. I did get AP credit for calculus AB in high school. However, I'm using the two calculus courses that I took in college, math9B and math 9C. When I went to assist.org to check the equivalencies, it says that UCSF requires 9A and 9B. But I'm thinking since 9C would work since it is also titled First-Year Calculus.

Has this situation happened to anyone before? What should I do?

Best way would probably be to contact admissions office directly and speak to them if your classes are appropriate to satisfy their requirements.

That's not true. They'll just look at the AP scores as long as you put them in your supplemental and include the AP score transcripts and average out any other classes that satisfy the requirement and will ignore all other classes for the supplemental GPA. I took AP Calculus AB and passed out of 1st quarter of 1st year calculus. The second quarter calculus counted for the requirement, but they didn't count the third quarter of 1st year calculus or 1st quarter of multivariate (thank god, since I scored a C in that class). ;)

hi, it's clear that you have been through the process already, but i'm not sure i understand what you're saying. on the school's webpage (http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/admissions/steps/1/academic/verify/ap/), it says "If you have passed an accepted AP test and have also taken the approved prerequisite course (including the humanities / social science prerequisites), we use the course to fulfill the prerequisite and to calculate the pre-pharmacy GPA." my interpretation of this is that if i have already completed the calculus requirements of 2 courses, my grades in those classes would be considered in my pre-pharmacy gpa. i figured that i wouldn't need to send in my ap scores, because the grades would override the scores regardless. maybe you can clarify it further for me. thanks!

i figured that i wouldn't need to send in my ap scores, because the grades would override the scores regardless. maybe you can clarify it further for me. thanks!

Hey. So I read that too, but I feel that if you passed out of the first half of the calc at your undergrad school, then the school wouldn't let you take that class again. For instance, my undergrad had 3 calc classes (Math 3A/31A, Math 3B/31B, Math 3C/32A); in order for me to graduate, I had to take all three, but since I scored well on my AP, I passed out of 3A/31A. I couldn't retake either of these classes for a grade, because I had done well on the AP, so I just continued and took 3B and 3C. However, UCSF only accepts 3A/31A and 3B/31B for their calc prereqs from my school. So even though I took 3C (which is also a calc course), I had no choice but to submit my AP scores and grade for 3B. I guess it all depends on what UCSF accepts from your school, and whether or not your school let you take the course that you technically should've passed out of. I hope that wasn't too confusing! :)

Finally got a confirmation email from UCSF saying that my application is now complete, so happy........now, let the wait start!:scared:

Yes, I am working on the supplemental today...FINALLY got around to it!! Hope I finish tonight :)

Finally got a confirmation email from UCSF saying that my application is now complete, so happy........now, let the wait start!:scared:

Oh Wow! You turned it in early. I am barely even done with it. When did you submit everything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey. So I read that too, but I feel that if you passed out of the first half of the calc at your undergrad school, then the school wouldn't let you take that class again. For instance, my undergrad had 3 calc classes (Math 3A/31A, Math 3B/31B, Math 3C/32A); in order for me to graduate, I had to take all three, but since I scored well on my AP, I passed out of 3A/31A. I couldn't retake either of these classes for a grade, because I had done well on the AP, so I just continued and took 3B and 3C. However, UCSF only accepts 3A/31A and 3B/31B for their calc prereqs from my school. So even though I took 3C (which is also a calc course), I had no choice but to submit my AP scores and grade for 3B. I guess it all depends on what UCSF accepts from your school, and whether or not your school let you take the course that you technically should've passed out of. I hope that wasn't too confusing! :)

Okay guys, I am going to respond to clarify:

If you put the AP scores into your PharmCAS application at all, you should submit your AP scores to UCSF and any other institution that requires it (USC just needs a faxed copy of your scores that you have on record--include your file number, ID#, and PharmCAS ID). However, UCSF requires official copies from ETS. You must submit the documentation before the Nov. 2nd deadline.

Now, whether or not its "required to submit"...think about it...$15 investment into sending your AP scores to UCSF, versus how much tuition actually is. If that's what causes you to get rejected because you did not have a complete application, wouldn't you feel miserable? So case in point, submit anyway.

Hi everyone, so I went to the supplemental workshop today. It was more of a presentation rather than a workshop, meaning that we weren't all working on our supplementals while Joel talked about the different forms. The main advice he gave was straightforward and mostly common sense: basically don't forget to sign every form. Don't leave any of the questions blank except possibly the optional Form D, and fill each to the maximum characters allotted (without going over, of course). He also strongly stressed getting 4 recommenders for letters of recommendation.

Hi guys!

I'm new here and I have a unique/technical question, sorry if it's in the wrong place. Before Nov. 2, when I e-submitted my pharmcas application to UCSF, I had 3 letters of rec. on file.

After
this, I had one more letter of rec completed/received around Nov. 10. Because pharmcas is still calculating and processing and has not mailed out my application to my schools yet, including UCSF, does this mean 4 letters will be mailed to UCSF when its finished or only the 3 that were "pre-Nov. 2" BTW, the fourth letter was from a pharmacist.

Thanks. Good luck to all!

Hi guys!

I'm new here and I have a unique/technical question, sorry if it's in the wrong place. Before Nov. 2, when I e-submitted my pharmcas application to UCSF, I had 3 letters of rec. on file.

After
this, I had one more letter of rec completed/received around Nov. 10. Because pharmcas is still calculating and processing and has not mailed out my application to my schools yet, including UCSF, does this mean 4 letters will be mailed to UCSF when its finished or only the 3 that were "pre-Nov. 2" BTW, the fourth letter was from a pharmacist.

Thanks. Good luck to all!

Hmm, I am not sure how PharmCAS would mail it. I thought they would send schools everything they received since they don't enforce the deadlines... However, I would imagine that UCSF can see when the letters were submitted. Since a pharmacist letter of recommendation is required, it might be incomplete because the pharmacist letter was not electronically submitted before Nov 2nd.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/admissions/steps/2/pharmcas/rec/

All recommendations must be received by PharmCAS no later than the November 1, 2010 deadline. If any of your recommendations are late, your application will be considered incomplete and will be canceled. You are responsible for ensuring that your recommenders meet the application deadline.

However, a pharmacist recommend is not required. My guess is they will look only at the 3 LORs you have in the file, and ignore the last one. For a definite answer though, why not call and ask?

http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/admissions/steps/2/pharmcas/rec/

All recommendations must be received by PharmCAS no later than the November 1, 2010 deadline. If any of your recommendations are late, your application will be considered incomplete and will be canceled. You are responsible for ensuring that your recommenders meet the application deadline.

However, a pharmacist recommend is not required. My guess is they will look only at the 3 LORs you have in the file, and ignore the last one. For a definite answer though, why not call and ask?

The 4th LOR is only needed if you're a reapplicant. They ask for at least one new LOR when you reapply, just to show how you've improved your app from the last time you apply.

The 4th LOR is not required, but it is HIGHLY recommended for first-time applicants (not sure about reapplicants). I attended the supplemental workshop this past summer, and Joel, who gave the presentation at the workshop, said it's in the applicant's best interest to submit 4.

The 4th LOR is only needed if you're a reapplicant. They ask for at least one new LOR when you reapply, just to show how you've improved your app from the last time you apply.

Does anyone know if I can still submit an extra LOR?
I have an extra LOR lying around. The form is PharmCAS.
Can I send it to UCSF?

I know the deadline passed, but was it passed for the minimum requirement (3 LOR) or does this deadline apply to anything submitted passsed the deadline?

Does anyone know if I can still submit an extra LOR?
I have an extra LOR lying around. The form is PharmCAS.
Can I send it to UCSF?

I know the deadline passed, but was it passed for the minimum requirement (3 LOR) or does this deadline apply to anything submitted passsed the deadline?

Call OSACA to be sure but I would guess that it has passed.

i got an e-mail confirming that my supplemental application was received, but i was wondering if this confirmation e-mail also means my payment was received? it says that all materials were present and all that, but i know that the payment was sent to a different office and it's been a long time since i got the e-mail but yet the check has not been processed yet (i don't see the amount deducted from my bank account).

would osaca move forward with processing my application and determine if they want to invite me if they didn't see that i had already submitted a check? that seems unlikely. i called the office and a machine said that all inquiries about materials received will be answered after dec 11.

i guess this is just a long-winded way of asking: does the confirmation e-mail also mean the PAYMENT was received? has anyone called the office to actually confirm that their check was received?

i am so embarrassed this took me THAT many words to get out. haha! :scared:

if you are still reading...:love:

i got an e-mail confirming that my supplemental application was received, but i was wondering if this confirmation e-mail also means my payment was received? it says that all materials were present and all that, but i know that the payment was sent to a different office and it's been a long time since i got the e-mail but yet the check has not been processed yet (i don't see the amount deducted from my bank account).

would osaca move forward with processing my application and determine if they want to invite me if they didn't see that i had already submitted a check? that seems unlikely. i called the office and a machine said that all inquiries about materials received will be answered after dec 11.

i guess this is just a long-winded way of asking: does the confirmation e-mail also mean the PAYMENT was received? has anyone called the office to actually confirm that their check was received?

i am so embarrassed this took me THAT many words to get out. haha! :scared:

if you are still reading...:love:

I'm not sure if the confirmation means they received the payment or not.
In any case, I thought it'd be useful for you to know that when I sent my check in, they cashed it within 2 days of my sending it. I don't know if that was just because they happened to be cashing a lot of checks that day, or if they cash them quickly on a regular basis. I think that if I were you, I would call just to make sure (i.e. ask them what the confirmation email means).

wow you guys are pretty lucky to have so many of my classmates still active on SDN, let alone the pre-pharmacy section.

christmas is just around the corner. you know what means... :)

edit: clarification about the LORs. when i applied, it was 3 LORs for 1st time applicants. you CAN submit a 4th LOR if you are a reapplicant but you MUST submit at least one new LOR by a new writer. its too late for this year, but hopefully this can serve as reference for next year.

could some of you post your stats?

Look through the old applicant threads from last year and the one before that, in which a bunch of people posted their stats and talked about their application. It would be extremely beneficial for you to get an overall picture of the applicant profile.

For example, if I post GPA I graduated with ~ 3.3 btw, that won't tell you anything besides the fact that I have a below average GPA. If you read however what kind of extracurricular activities I seeked out and pursued during my undergraduate career, it would probably explain why I got accepted. Based on me talking to a bunch of my classmatates, it seems to be the common pattern - a lot of my classmates have somewhat average GPA but are very well-rounded, distinguished and accomplished in terms of EC activities. We have people in our classes that have written and published books, have absolutely amazing research experience/industry experience, a bunch of people either finished their masters or came very close to finishing it, most people were heavily involved in a community service in their local communities, teaching, working with children and etc. Now that I have met my classmates, I can see why every single one of them was selected, they are all very special people.

I hope this helps to get you an overall picture.

Christmas is coming up and some of you will have a mind-blowing holiday. :love:

Last edited:
STILL WAITING FOR MY INTERVIEW INVITE CHEB!? What in the sam hell is goin' on over there!?

Patience is a virtue. Besides, nothing is going to come until towards the end of the month.

Hurry up 'n' wait, I know. I just like yelling at Chebby. :)

Awe :love:

Stuff will come in Dec 24th - all the way through the first week of january. Very very very soon.

Anyone?

Last edited:
I got my invite today! Interview on 1/28/2010. Mail was postmarked on the 23rd

:claps::claps:

I'm so excited for you, congrats !

I received my interview invitation today, too! It's on 2/6 at 8:30 am. :) Thanks rycetrix for your proofreading--it's definitely been paying off!

Got my rejection letter today, kinda sucks since it's Xmas Eve, but good luck to those that got an interview!

Hey Zokker,

Congratz!!!!
Where are you located? I am from east coast... will take at least 4~5 business days for me to get something from UCSF...

waiting is hard...

This might be a dumb question, but has anyone gotten into UCSF or UCSD with a C- in a prereq without retaking it?

I got a C- in one of the calculus courses but it's also my only C ever.

On the site they say C or better haha.

Hey Zokker,

Congratz!!!!
Where are you located? I am from east coast... will take at least 4~5 business days for me to get something from UCSF...

waiting is hard...

I'm in San Jose, CA. Good luck to you!