UCSF and Stanford Debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berkely10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone at UCSF or Stanford want to comment on how they have some of the lowest post-grad debt in medical schools (90-110k)?

If I get pulled off the waitlist is it likely I will be graduating with a similar debt or is this statistic misleading?

I am just looking at this from a purely financial standpoint

Members don't see this ad.

1. Rich kids
2. Huge endowments (Stanford, especially)
3. Public institution (UCSF)

They give nice merit- and need-based scholarships. If you get pulled off the waitlist, then obviously you aren't likely to be one of the people who will receive merit-based aid. You should be solid for need-based, regardless of when you get an acceptance.

Why Stanford students have low debt

1. Many students (just like any other school) are wealthy enough not to have to take out loans. They have parents who pay for medical school. ("Rich Kids")
2. For those that do qualify for need-based aid, it's really good. $30-40k Stanford University Grant, Middle Income Matching, Institutional Loans with 0% interest.
3. MedScholars, TAing, etc. pay a lot. The latter more than the former.
4. Stanford students are really good at securing scholarships, both large (Soros, etc.) and small (local, smaller national, research based).
5. You can graduate in 3.5 years
6. Tons of free food. Saves you $$$$. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.