UCSD vs UCLA vs WashU St Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aconfusedasian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, any help would be awesome and gladly appreciated! I decided to leave out the differences in curriculum, either cause I haven't looked too far into it or cause I feel like Med Schools are similar in the organization of things? If any current students or other prospective students have any insights to offer on curriculum, I would also love to hear that! Thanks :)

School UCLA

Pros
  • Local, from LA so close to family and familiar with area
  • cheap/in-state tuition
  • awesome facilities (Ronald Reagan) and the newly built Geffen Hall
  • great opportunities in California for all residencies (don't know what I want to do)

Cons
  • maybe need a change of scenery (lived in LA for 20+ years)
  • public school vs private school (WashU)?
  • LA is a bit distracting with so much going on

School UCSD
Pros
  • love San Diego (city, Mexican food, beaches)
  • awesome faculty and close knit student body
  • also great opportunities for residency
  • laid-back vibe (for a med school) which I am very into
  • new Hospitals being built
  • in-state tuition

Cons
  • not as "prestigious" as the other schools listed here
  • public vs private again
  • the hospital system for UCSD does not seem as great as others I've been to

School WashU
Pros
  • great reputation/prestige and facility
  • awesome faculty and close knit student body
  • Barnes-Jewish Hospital is incredible
  • students were amazing there
  • Residency matches are insanely good, but don't know if I'm willing to stay in the Midwest (as I know geographic location does play a role)

Cons
  • MidWest is a big change for a SoCal kid
  • way more expensive than my state schools
  • It seemed a bit snobby over there when I visited and didn't leave with the best opinion

In short, I guess I'm looking to see what differences in opportunity does each school offer? Obviously location matters, but I'm

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like UCSD would be a good fit for you. It's a top school as well, you feel like you fit in, it's a change of scenery from LA without the massive downgrade to St. Louis, and it's cheap.

Can you go to WashU second look? Your con of "It seemed a bit snobby over there when I visited and didn't leave with the best opinion" feels close to a deal breaker.

I would definitely say UCLA or WashU. UCLA if you decide staying in Cali and saving money is important to you. WashU if you decide the prestige/opportunities/faculty there are more important. I'm a little confused about the WashU comments - you say students amazing and close-knit student body but then also that you left with not the best vibe. Which one was it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely say UCLA or WashU. UCLA if you decide staying in Cali and saving money is important to you. WashU if you decide the prestige/opportunities/faculty there are more important. I'm a little confused about the WashU comments - you say students amazing and close-knit student body but then also that you left with not the best vibe. Which one was it?
The faculty was a little bit snobby whereas the students were more inclusive? If that makes sense, like the faculty were definitely amazing in accomplishments and distinction but the vibe I got was a little bit pompous. I could have just read the situation wrong during my interview. I will be attending second look to get a better understanding!

Ah I see what you're saying. I didn't meet too many faculty while I was there but I loved my two interviewers who were both faculty. See you this weekend!

As a fellow Californian, I found the thought of leaving California to be one of the most horrifying suggestions I've ever heard. (I'm joking. Or half-joking. Maybe. :rolleyes:)

Depending on what you want to do and where you want to go, you might want to consider match lists and see which one fits any current thoughts on where you want to end up. I believe UCSD provided you with a hard copy of theirs in the interview day folder, and you can compare it to ours (UCLA) by Googling "UCLA match list."

Not sure what specific concerns you have about public vs. private, but if you attended our Second Look weekend you'll have seen that we are certainly not hurting for resources as you were sitting in our brand-new med education building or playing with the da Vinci machine during the optional Friday CASIT session. Nor will you have even the tiniest of issues at all finding research opportunities or funding, as explained by Dr. Baum over dinner and current students throughout the weekend.

As for the distraction, don't worry, I don't know of anyone in my class who complains about it being too distracting :) We take our education seriously, so no one has ever bombed a test because they were enjoying the Santa Monica beaches too much or anything. Having these sites and scenes to decompress every once in a while when you need a study break is a welcome ancillary benefit of being at UCLA, as I'm sure you'll find it to be the case if you matriculate here. Hope to see you in July!