UCSD vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epeck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the edit. I just wanted to rephrase what I was asking. I'm hoping to get some neutral opinions about the clinical possibilities regarding both of these schools. I have the dilemma of loving both SD and NYC. I loved the students at both places and have nothing but good things to say about either school. Bellevue is clearly an amazing hospital, but I also can't help but notice UCSD's six teaching hospitals. Any thoughts are welcome, especially from current medical students who know people from either school. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The clinical training at both schools will be fine. The real issue is whether or not you want to live in California or NYC. Both schools are highly regarded. As for doors opening for you in the future, you will determine that yourself by your performance at either school. Your Step 1 score will be determined by your effort alone. If the cost is similar, figure out where you would rather live.

Members don't see this ad :)
jturkel, could you elaborate a bit? Thanks for the replies

Are you a California resident? If so, then UCSD in a heartbeat....

If not, then that creates a bit more of a dilemma.

Sorry for the edit. I just wanted to rephrase what I was asking. I'm hoping to get some neutral opinions about the clinical possibilities regarding both of these schools. I have the dilemma of loving both SD and NYC. I loved the students at both places and have nothing but good things to say about either school. Bellevue is clearly an amazing hospital, but I also can't help but notice UCSD's six teaching hospitals. Any thoughts are welcome, especially from current medical students who know people from either school. Thank you

UCSD and here's why:

1) The SD girls
2) The Cali love
3) The SD girls
4) The weather
5) The SD girls

you CAN'T go wrong with SD love <3

UCSD and here's why:

1) The SD girls
2) The Cali love
3) The SD girls
4) The weather
5) The SD girls

you CAN'T go wrong with SD love <3

Haha well judging from the UCSD undergrad, I'd say the girls weren't your "typical SD girls". Now San Diego state on the other hand, whole different story :D

Haha well judging from the UCSD undergrad, I'd say the girls weren't your "typical SD girls". Now San Diego state on the other hand, whole different story :D

Of course, of course,...I meant the girls living in the SD county, not necessarily just @ UCSD,...u gotta love em':D

I graduated from UCSD in 2008 and am now a resident there.

You are wise to consider the strength of clinical training. I think the clinical years are the true highlight of the UCSD curriculum.

The opportunities to work at six different hospitals is nice in that it exposes you to a diverse population of patients, but I don't think that's the main strength. Rather it is the UCSD culture of high standards, autonomy, and enthusiastic teaching faculty.

The 3rd year curriculum at UCSD is quite intense but at the end of it, most students function at the level of mid-year interns. Students are expected to function as independent providers for their patients to the greatest extent they are capable, and although residents and attendings are ultimately responsible, if you prove yourself your role in the formulation and execution of treatment plans can be central. When I was on my neurosurgery rotation I implanted a spinal cord stimulator from incision to closure with a little assistance from a resident as I felt I needed. In clinic, when I earned my preceptor's trust, my history and exam findings would dictate the plan, and the attending physician would only come in to greet the patient and confirm key findings. On anesthesia, all medical students deliver a general anesthetic from start to finish at the end of the rotation (I know of no other institution that does this).

Our attendings, almost universally, were involved in teaching by choice and enjoyed their role in our education. Residents play a key role in teaching at any medical school, and UCSD residents are generally very skilled and represent the top graduates of their medical schools.

UCSD's main hospital at Hillcrest is the former and current de facto county hospital and you will see the sickest of the sick and extraordinarily rare diseases. You will work hard, but when you become a resident, you should be confident in most situations that you have seen similar situations before and know what to do.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thank you Jeebus! That was super helpful. It sounds like you took full advantage of you opportunity

Lord Jeebus, do you think anything about the clinical years will be affected in a negative way with the new curriculum?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lord Jeebus, do you think anything about the clinical years will be affected in a negative way with the new curriculum?

I don't think there are plans to change the structure of the clinical years (beyond the change this year to reduce Surgery to 8 weeks and add an elective to 3rd year). However, you should ask someone at the school of medicine as I'm not familiar with the upcoming changes.

That's a pretty tough call. I'm at NYU now...I personally can't provide a comparison to UCSD since I only applied to schools on the east coast.

I'm completely happy with NYU. The people are great, classes are manageable...we keep busy, but I've also had a lot of fun. I'm not in my clinical years yet, but the 3rd and 4th years I know seem to be having good experiences. Tisch, Bellevue, and the VA are all in the immediate vicinity. Everyone I know seemed to be happy with their matches, so the program is getting people to where they want to go.

Both are good schools...so I'd just go by gut feeling and location. Again, I'm useless for a direct comparison, but if you have any questions about NYU feel free to send a message.

Thank you for all the responses guys. I really appreciate it

Something to keep in mind about NYC, not sure how much it matters, but I was kinda bummed when I read this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/05/nyregion/05grenada.html?_r=2&ref=health&oref=slogin

That article was definitely upsetting but the deal with Caribbean Med schools will have no effect on NYU

"The contract, which has a five-year term automatically renewable for another five, unless either side objects, calls for up to 600 clerkships, but resistance at the city’s prestigious medical schools, including New York University and Albert Einstein, has prevented the program from getting off the ground at their training hospitals, Bellevue Hospital Center on the East Side and Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx."

I don't think there are plans to change the structure of the clinical years (beyond the change this year to reduce Surgery to 8 weeks and add an elective to 3rd year). However, you should ask someone at the school of medicine as I'm not familiar with the upcoming changes.

hmmm...yeah I heard we are prepared well during 3rd and 4th year

Hey epeck,

From what I know so far your 3rd and 4th year curriculum will definitely NOT be affected by the structure of the new curriculum. If anything it will do a better job of transitioning you. We currently are limited to clinical interaction in one course, entitled Intro to Clinical Medicine. Although this course is well taught (at least so far) it is the only clinical exposure we have, unless you are involved in the free clinic (which is AMAZING BTW). Thus when some people begin rotations they may have a harder time transitioning from TONS of class time learning copious amounts of details to actively working and learning in a clinically-based team setting.

It is no secret the 3rd and 4th year are exceptionally challenging (when compared to a few schools whose curriculum of which I am aware). So this switch will definitely help

best of luck!!!!

Our 4th year is super easy, unless you desire otherwise.

I did 2 months research, 3 months vacation, 1 month doing pathology in Tokyo...and took zero call (did my sub-I in SICU). I did a couple of months at UCSF also (and took zero call).

riceman, that makes a lot of sense. Do you know how the new curriculum will incorporate clinical training in the first years? I'm assuming that our real responsibilities in clinical settings will mostly involve 3rd and 4th, so are the first two years used mainly to get us used to clinical environments in general?

How much of an advantage, if any, do you guys think having boards after 3rd year would be? I know that's how NYU is doing it, and they seem to feel pretty strongly about it.

How much of an advantage, if any, do you guys think having boards after 3rd year would be? I know that's how NYU is doing it, and they seem to feel pretty strongly about it.
In my opinion, that would be a big advantage because not only will you have more of an opportunity to study, but you will also have clinical exposure to the things that you would see on the boards. I wonder why more schools don't do this because I would tend to think that there will be higher board scores.

In my opinion, that would be a big advantage because not only will you have more of an opportunity to study, but you will also have clinical exposure to the things that you would see on the boards. I wonder why more schools don't do this because I would tend to think that there will be higher board scores.
now first i want to say that i will be an M1 in a few months so i dont know for sure and im not saying this is fact, but it was my understanding the step 1 is all about basic sciences not clinical. Therefore i would think it would be a slight disadvantage as much of your basic science you will likely not remember as well come clinical years. I have heard students at duke who have a shorter pre clinical years say how they had to review a bit more then normal for step 1 as they have been in clinical medicine and out of the basic sciences for a larger amount of time then other students who do the traditional 2 yrs non clinical 2 yrs clinical. Someone correct me if im wrong though this is just my understanding of it. I wouldnt think it would be an advantage at all, if anything maybe a slight disadvantage? Though i dont really think it matters much either way tbh.

now first i want to say that i will be an M1 in a few months so i dont know for sure and im not saying this is fact, but it was my understanding the step 1 is all about basic sciences not clinical. Therefore i would think it would be a slight disadvantage as much of your basic science you will likely not remember as well come clinical years. I have heard students at duke who have a shorter pre clinical years say how they had to review a bit more then normal for step 1 as they have been in clinical medicine and out of the basic sciences for a larger amount of time then other students who do the traditional 2 yrs non clinical 2 yrs clinical. Someone correct me if im wrong though this is just my understanding of it. I wouldnt think it would be an advantage at all, if anything maybe a slight disadvantage? Though i dont really think it matters much either way tbh.

There are pros and cons to the system. Alot depends on how well the school does at incorporating that material into your clinical rotation period. Baylor, Emory, and UPenn all have 1.5 year basic science curriculum and then begin rotations mid way through 2nd year. Both Penn and Baylor students do exceptionally well on boards (I don't know about Emory). But, that might be due to the fact they are given a significant amount of time to prepare (Penn gives 6 months and I am pretty sure Baylor gives around the same amount of time).

UCSD has always done quite well on Step 1 (average 10 - 20pts above the mean according to a direct in our student affairs office). Many believe it is the reason why administration has been so slow to reorganize the curriculum (UCSD's first class scored the highest on STEP 1 lol!)

riceman, that makes a lot of sense. Do you know how the new curriculum will incorporate clinical training in the first years? I'm assuming that our real responsibilities in clinical settings will mostly involve 3rd and 4th, so are the first two years used mainly to get us used to clinical environments in general?

Hey epeck!

I actually am not entirely sure since I missed the info session they presented to current medical students about the new curriculum.

I did hear that one major change to the curriculum involves having to take an end of the year final exam on all class taken during the year (which is a bit similar to how courses are tested in england...lol). Although this will mean a significant amount of extra studying for the new students, it will be GREAT for STEP 1 prep!

I am kind of jealous actually!

Status
Not open for further replies.