UCSD General Surgery Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chase2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

There's not much info out there on the reputation and caliber of training at the General Surgery residency program at UCSD... I'm a 3rd year med student starting to look at surgery programs, and am curious what the word on the street is about UCSD. Not sure how much value the Doximity ranking system really has, either...

Any insights are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're a 3rd year medical student then you need to change your status which is listed as "accepted" - this is a status for pre-meds who can't wait until the official start date to call themselves medical students.

Reactions: 1 users
Done - thank you! I'd love to hear any thoughts about the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont know much other than that they have a new chair and he is really great, a great person to work with and very motivated to build the program and make it elite.

The infamous chair who was described in the old thread has been deceased for several years and retired for more than that. Hardly relevant to the current state of affairs.

I don't know if it seemed like I was being sarcastic, I didn't read the old thread abd don't know who their old chair was. Their new chair is dr clary and that's who I was talking about.

The current program director is a bit tough to talk to. They also do a lot of robots and have lots of robots, which really excited a couple of the huge nerds who were there on their interview day. Also, their campus and the surrounding area are beautiful. You will not be unhappy living there. Their main hospital sorta sucks and they actually catch only a small percentage of the patient population in the area. (Scripps and other private places take more of the patients). I don't know if this is still the case anymore, but that's what I remember.