UCSD extension premed post bac 2017-18

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkfreud1394

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone on here applying to this? Looks like applications are due towards the end of January.

I couldn't find a thread for program, if there's already one floating around somewhere I apologize. I still haven't learned how to efficiently navigate SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone on here applying to this? Looks like applications are due towards the end of January.

I couldn't find a thread for program, if there's already one floating around somewhere I apologize. I still haven't learned how to efficiently navigate SDN.
lol I was just about to start one, let the applications begin!

Awesome! I hope to have everything submitted by mid-late December. It seems like a good fit for me based on what I've read

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! I hope to have everything submitted by mid-late December. It seems like a good fit for me based on what I've read

Is there specific reason why you are choosing this program? I'm just curious haha

Is there specific reason why you are choosing this program? I'm just curious haha
IMO I need a record-enhancer program that doesn't require a certain MCAT score for admission (haven't taken it yet) and my searches with this criterion have yielded very little. This post bac certainly seems like it has a major focus on MCAT prep while offering upper division bio courses and providing assistance with other key parts of the student's application. Plus, San Diego is a fantastic place to be especially during a gap year following completion of post bac (many research/work/volunteer opportunities). I'll also be applying to Johns Hopkins HSI, George Mason/Georgetown ABS, and a few others.

IMO I need a record-enhancer program that doesn't require a certain MCAT score for admission (haven't taken it yet) and my searches with this criterion have yielded very little. This post bac certainly seems like it has a major focus on MCAT prep while offering upper division bio courses and providing assistance with other key parts of the student's application. Plus, San Diego is a fantastic place to be especially during a gap year following completion of post bac (many research/work/volunteer opportunities). I'll also be applying to Johns Hopkins HSI, George Mason/Georgetown ABS, and a few others.

Other ones with no post bacc reqs are SFSU CSUEB and The uc consortium if your from california. theres also a few DO schools like Tauro CA

Glad someone started this thread. Looks like I'll be applying with the rest of you :)

Reactions: 1 user
Glad someone started this thread. Looks like I'll be applying with the rest of you :)
We should stick around see how eachothers doing maybe will all get to meet eachother in july :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! If you have any questions about the postbac, I can try to answer them! Since applications are due in roughly 3 weeks, hopefully I can do so in time for you to submit for those of you who haven't already :) Just reply to this post because I think the answers can probably benefit everyone on this thread.

Good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone! If you have any questions about the postbac, I can try to answer them! Since applications are due in roughly 3 weeks, hopefully I can do so in time for you to submit for those of you who haven't already :) Just reply to this post because I think the answers can probably benefit everyone on this thread.

Good luck to everyone!
Are you a current student? If so, how do you like it so far?

Good luck to everyone!

I cant seem to find information on what GPAs they accept into this program any ideas? Also how are URMs perceived seeing as UCSD is not part of the consortium, thanks:)

Members don't see this ad :)

Good luck to everyone!

How do students pay for the program? If I recall correctly, it still doesn't qualify for federal financial aid. How much of the program do the scholarships/grants cover [if offered]? Thanks!

HALP! I finally finished my app (please don't judge as I know its due tonight at midnight) and I submitted my payment over 30 mins ago and it says its still processing. What should I do? :/

Nah mang, just submitted mine so you're not getting any judgement from me, lolol

I would email Amie Becker at [email protected]. She's been absolutely awesome throughout this entire application process, keeping me updated on my letters, etc.

Hope your payment gets processed before the deadline! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you! That was relieving to hear. Just to cover all my bases I have emailed my receipt showing the date, a copy of my essay responses in a pdf and word document, also with time stamps, and screenshots of the application form completed. I really hope they accept it because my payment still hasn't been processed and I don't think it will be anytime soon :/ I feel like a total noob right now.

Last edited:
did anything change with the status of your application? Mine is showing the same exact problem.

did anything change with the status of your application? Mine is showing the same exact problem.

Missed the deadline because the payment will take 1-2 days to process. I feel better that I'm not the only one. I left a voicemail for Amie and I'm hoping she will be able to do something for us. The website didn't specify that it would take that long for the payment to process, so there is no way we would have known.

Missed the deadline because the payment will take 1-2 days to process. I feel better that I'm not the only one. I left a voicemail for Amie and I'm hoping she will be able to do something for us. The website didn't specify that it would take that long for the payment to process, so there is no way we would have known.

OMG yes mi gente! Take this as a good thing if multiple people are in the same boat and voice the same concern. I think they're more willing to excuse for this then not to. And seriousllyyy...I don't know why it's so hard to write a little disclaimer about submitting payment at a certain time beforehand to avoid "missing" the deadline due to a payment being processed. I will be calling tomorrow morning as well to express my inability to anticipate such a problem and to hopefully avoid any penalization for such a careless, but honest mistake.

This feels like one of those moments where I publically asked what I was scared to be a stupid question, only to find out I helped a lot more people than I thought that secretly have the same question. Glad I did it and that we can collectively work towards fixing the problem for ourselves and future last-minute applicants! (P.S. sorry for the long message! Still in essay mode :/ haha)

OMG yes mi gente! Take this as a good thing if multiple people are in the same boat and voice the same concern. I think they're more willing to excuse for this then not to. And seriousllyyy...I don't know why it's so hard to write a little disclaimer about submitting payment at a certain time beforehand to avoid "missing" the deadline due to a payment being processed. I will be calling tomorrow morning as well to express my inability to anticipate such a problem and to hopefully avoid any penalization for such a careless, but honest mistake.

This feels like one of those moments where I publically asked what I was scared to be a stupid question, only to find out I helped a lot more people than I thought that secretly have the same question. Glad I did it and that we can collectively work towards fixing the problem for ourselves and future last-minute applicants! (P.S. sorry for the long message! Still in essay mode :/ haha)

Lol no worries!
I couldn't agree more with what you said. It's 0840 and I'm wondering if Amie is in office yet. Please keep us updated if you hear back from her first! I sent her an email and left a voicemail last night, so I am hoping that she is able to get back to us soon.

Hey guys! I was able to submit and once I did just about 2 mins ago it says "reviewing application" and "next step: program qualification review" so I think it successfully went through and will for everyone who sends today. I'll still call just to clarify and will update you all if I receive a message!

Hey guys! I was able to submit and once I did just about 2 mins ago it says "reviewing application" and "next step: program qualification review" so I think it successfully went through and will for everyone who sends today. I'll still call just to clarify and will update you all if I receive a message!

Thanks for checking!
I just submitted mine.
The only concern that I have is that it'll be like the UC consortium. Where they'll review all the applicants who submitted it later last.

Just got the green light from Amie in an email and she said our application won't be affected by this and that they're aware of this issue! So...great news!

submitted my app two days ago, good luck everybody! :)

I wasn't able to send one of my LORs until today, although I submitted the rest of my materials 12/29. Good luck to everyone !!

I wasn't able to send one of my LORs until today, although I submitted the rest of my materials 12/29. Good luck to everyone !!

Was in the same situation. Amie assured me 1-2 days late is no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would love to know if anyone has received an invitation for an interview!

I would love to know if anyone has received an invitation for an interview!
I would like to know this as well! Nothing has changed on my status yet, still "Reviewing Application." I bet it'll be a few weeks before we see any action.

I would like to know this as well! Nothing has changed on my status yet, still "Reviewing Application." I bet it'll be a few weeks before we see any action.

Hopefully sooner than a few weeks! On the website it says we will be notified if we get an interview or not by the end of February.

Hey guys! How's it going for you all? Mine still says "Reviewing Application" and it's making me kinda worried. Just wanted to see if others are in the same boat! Also, should I email Amie to see if all my materials were actually received or do you think they'd contact us if something was missing?

Hey guys! How's it going for you all? Mine still says "Reviewing Application" and it's making me kinda worried. Just wanted to see if others are in the same boat! Also, should I email Amie to see if all my materials were actually received or do you think they'd contact us if something was missing?
Mine still says the same. I wouldn't be worried just yet, after all the website does say explicitly "Applicants will be informed if they are invited for an interview or not by late February" and it's only the 16th. It's hard to say if they'd contact us if something was missing...I certainly hope they would haha

Mine also says "Reviewing Application!" I submitted 01/22.

I don't think it would hurt to call Amie; I did so a few weeks ago to confirm everything was received properly and she returned my call and confirmed in less than 24 hrs.

Mine also says "Reviewing Application!" I submitted 01/22.

I don't think it would hurt to call Amie; I did so a few weeks ago to confirm everything was received properly and she returned my call and confirmed in less than 24 hrs.

my application says the same thing, hopefully we will all hear back soon

just out of curiosity what kind of stats is everyone applying with? what's everyone hoping to get out of this program? I have about 3.4 cGPA and sGPA, no MCAT. Significant research and clinical experience, hoping mainly to improve my GPA and benefit from the other resources like MCAT prep, LORs and mock interviews, as well as the linkage possibility with Pomona

just out of curiosity what kind of stats is everyone applying with? what's everyone hoping to get out of this program? I have about 3.4 cGPA and sGPA, no MCAT. Significant research and clinical experience, hoping mainly to improve my GPA and benefit from the other resources like MCAT prep, LORs and mock interviews, as well as the linkage possibility with Pomona

Welp, my cGPA's not too hot just cause my uGPA from my undergrad institution was a total wreck. However, I've done about a year's worth of informal and have a 3.9 in mostly science courses (Damn Biochem!) which is the GPA I hope they focus on lol. But to piggyback off of that I mainly want to be in the program for the guidance in successfully applying as a post-bac that did some major damage control. Also def for the MCAT prep as I know it'll have to make up for a substandard GPA, and of course a bump in the GPA from the program is always welcomed. As far as extracurrics I have done 4 years of research (thesis and poster presentations), clinical work abroad and local in primary care public/free clinics in primarily Latino communities, and tons of experience working with kids - academics and sports!

Did anyone else get an interview request? I just got one this morning!

Did anyone else get an interview request? I just got one this morning!
Woah congrats!! When did you submit your app? To be fair I was within the last hours of the deadline so I won't loose hope just yet!

Woah congrats!! When did you submit your app? To be fair I was within the last hours of the deadline so I won't loose hope just yet!

I actually officially submitted my application a few hours before the deadline also! Maybe they're sending the invites in waves?

Yup, Amie sent me an email with details about the interview.

congrats! im super worried because i submitted my application on the 24th but it took until the 25th for them to process my application fee . i have no idea if that disqualified me but now I'm kinda panicking!

I was surprised actually because I submitted everything so last minute haha. Stats wise, I don't have the highest GPA but I have pretty strong research, extracurriculars, experience with underserved communities.

I wouldn't give up hope yet though! :)

I was surprised actually because I submitted everything so last minute haha. Stats wise, I don't have the highest GPA but I have pretty strong research, extracurriculars, experience with underserved communities.

I wouldn't give up hope yet though! :)
thanks for the support!! well I'm super happy for you! I'm sure you'll do great on the interview!

so awesome! I was getting restless with all the silence for so long. mind sharing your stats here? or PM?

I have around a 3.45 cGPA and 3.25 sGPA. I didn't submit a MCAT score at all. 2+ years of research experience with multiple publications to be submitted this year. I worked a lot with underserved communities (not necessarily in the medical field but some in the medical field as well). Lot of work experience (worked in food service, customer service, theater).

Going off of last year's thread, it seems that there are waves of interview requests sent and they're not all sent at once?

congrats! im super worried because i submitted my application on the 24th but it took until the 25th for them to process my application fee . i have no idea if that disqualified me but now I'm kinda panicking!

Hey you def shouldn't worry about that!! I had the same exact situation and emailed Amie about it and she said it was totally fine and that they do realize that it happens and would not penalize for it. So totally fine in that aspect! :)

Hey you def shouldn't worry about that!! I had the same exact situation and emailed Amie about it and she said it was totally fine and that they do realize that it happens and would not penalize for it. So totally fine in that aspect! :)
thank you so much, i feel much better but still anxious!
has anyone else received an acceptance email?