UCLA vs UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pediatrics33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between UCLA and UCSD for my #1 spot. Besides freestanding vs hospital-within-a-hospital, what were some impressions of these programs when you interviewed?

Members don't see this ad.

Well if you are considering Peds Pulm and have research aspirations, would choose UCSD. They have 2 fellows supported by the prestigious PSDP grant

I would also be interested to hear some opinions on both of these! I'm struggling because I would rather live in SD than LA but just got an overall better vibe from UCLA. I've heard that UCSD residents are overworked because it's such a small program for such a large pt population, but I didn't get to meet hardly any residents at my interview to get a good sense of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree. if you are considering Peds Pulm and have research aspirations, would choose UCSD. They have 2 fellows supported by the prestigious PSDP gran

I got the sense that the residents are very busy, too. They have 19,000 annual admissions with 14 categorical and a handful of med-peds residents! Also telling is the fact that on wards night float, you do admissions only; the senior covers the patients already on the floor.

The other big difference from many other programs is that the PGY-2 year is considered a year to perfect triage, versus become senior, supervising resident.

But I agree: I prefer San Diego to LA. I just don't know if Rady's is the right fit.

Anyone want to discuss UCI/CHOC vs UCLA? Would it be foolish to rank CHOC ahead of UCLA? I'm about 70/30 wanting to do a fellowship (very non-competitive subspecialty), versus general peds or hospitalist.

Thanks!