Thoughts on UCLA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sink You Fool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a last minute invite to UCLA, but I'm running out of money and energy. I'm a Midwesterner currently in the South; I've never even been to LA. My home program is pretty small and I'm admittedly a bit intimidated by the idea of being in a class of 30 interns. Also wondering how it is switching between all their different training sites. It looks like most of the impressions of UCLA are from a few years ago and I was wondering if anyone had more recent opinions before I drop another $300-$400?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any IIs elsewhere? If you do, I would just go with your gut. If there is another school you are more excited about, or if there is one you have an admission offer at that you are more excited about, I would go with that one. Dropping a few more hundos to interview at a school that you aren't super excited about may end up just being a waste of your money. The whole process of flying out somewhere for an interview is pretty long and daunting, especially if you don't think your heart is really in that school. Good luck on your decision!

Seems like an alright place. Not a fan of no free standing children's hospital. Seemed like commuting to all the hospitals was annoying with la traffic. I also personally find 30 somewhat on the smaller end. Patient census seemed very light to me and there was a very relaxed feel. Faculty seemed nice with happy residents. Super great area right at the undergrad campus. Good global health and research opportunities

Overall seemed very similar to duke if you've been there. Hard to say if it would be worth it without looking at the rest of your list

Application time never seemed like a good time to save money to me. I would just go check it out and try to stay an extra day to see LA.