This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epidemiology93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am on the waitlist at UCLA and accepted at Cornell, but I am still having a tough time deciding between the two schools. I want to flesh out my thoughts before I make a final decision, so I thought this might be a helpful venue for that. Pros and cons are below. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

UCLA
Pros:
-Easier to match back into southern California (80% sure this is my ultimate goal)
-Great weather
-Pass/fail no rank
-Fielding school of public health (if you couldnt tell from the name, im interested in epi research)
-Potentially slightly better reputation (although it seems like a wash)

Cons:
-Literally lived 5 min away from here growing up and went to college in SoCal
-Potentially less exciting, vibrant place to be for my mid-20s than Cornell

Cornell
Pros:
-MSSK, Rockefeller, HSS right near each other (potential interest in ortho)
-New environment that is pretty exciting
-Area of concentration seems pretty awesome
-1.5 year preclinical curriculum

Cons:
-As a native Californian, im not sure I will enjoy the cold
-Pass/Fail with ranking
-Rumors of less diverse patient population due to location (although a friend recently debunked this?)

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to me that you’re weighing the “new adventure” against ease of match back to CA. If you’re from Cornell, you won’t have a problem matching anywhere but more than that I can’t really help other than simply stating your case. You could pick either one and be happy. It’s ultimately up to you. Congrats on your acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm having this same difficult choice to make. As someone who's been in soCal my whole life, I'm dying to leave. I didn't know that Cornell's grading system was ranked, so that's really good to know. Hopefully we both come to a decision we're happy with!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm having this same difficult choice to make. As someone who's been in soCal my whole life, I'm dying to leave. I didn't know that Cornell's grading system was ranked, so that's really good to know. Hopefully we both come to a decision we're happy with!

There’s a ranking system but I don’t believe they use it to evaluate students. It is not sent to residency directors and the first two years are pass fail.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know what it's used for?
I believe tie breakers for AOA.

Relatedly, I’m also deciding between UCLA and Cornell and can’t for the life of me comit to either. Like you OP I’ve lived in CA for 15 years and would love to explore something new.. but also I’d like to match to CA. Glad to know I’m not the only one..

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, I am on the waitlist at UCLA and accepted at Cornell, but I am still having a tough time deciding between the two schools. I want to flesh out my thoughts before I make a final decision, so I thought this might be a helpful venue for that. Pros and cons are below. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

UCLA
Pros:
-Easier to match back into southern California (80% sure this is my ultimate goal)
-Great weather
-Pass/fail no rank
-Fielding school of public health (if you couldnt tell from the name, im interested in epi research)
-Potentially slightly better reputation (although it seems like a wash)

Cons:
-Literally lived 5 min away from here growing up and went to college in SoCal
-Potentially less exciting, vibrant place to be for my mid-20s than Cornell

Cornell
Pros:
-MSSK, Rockefeller, HSS right near each other (potential interest in ortho)
-New environment that is pretty exciting
-Area of concentration seems pretty awesome
-1.5 year preclinical curriculum

Cons:
-As a native Californian, im not sure I will enjoy the cold
-Pass/Fail with ranking
-Rumors of less diverse patient population due to location (although a friend recently debunked this?)

I believe tie breakers for AOA.

Relatedly, I’m also deciding between UCLA and Cornell and can’t for the life of me comit to either. Like you OP I’ve lived in CA for 15 years and would love to explore something new.. but also I’d like to match to CA. Glad to know I’m not the only one..

I would vote for Cornell for both of you. I am a little bias but it really is an amazing school and hospital network. I also absolutely love NYC and all the non medical opportunities that you will have access to if you live here. If you've lived in Cali all your life and plan to end up there for residency, what's the harm in leaving and broadening your horizons for 4 years (provided finances are similar)?

Reactions: 9 users
I'd actually agree with Orthopedics101 and go Cornell in this situation (assuming cost is not an important factor for you). I think both schools have a very strong reputation in medicine (probably about equal, despite the USNEWS ranking disparity), and Cornell has some of the best medical resources for students (HSS, MSK, NYP, Rockefeller).

Not sure how sold you are on ortho, but if you want ortho, going to Cornell with HSS gives a huge advantage. NYC is a great city, and since you've lived in LA your entire life, it would be great change and opportunity for personal growth. Since both schools are equally well reputed, going to one or the other isn't going to affect your match results substantially (although again if you want ortho, Cornell will help).

Sure UCLA may give you a better shot in CA, but going to Cornell wouldn't hurt you much in that regard as it has such a strong national reputation. I'd argue that since you've lived in CA your entire life, going to Cornell may actually open up some doors on the east coast (and especially in NYC) if you decide you want to try to match there.

Reactions: 1 user