Cornell vs Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckycharms!

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm really stuck deciding between Cornell and Sinai. Please let me know if you have any advice and/or are able to share your experiences at these schools. I would love to hear your thoughts on where you think my quality of life would be better and where I would be best supported (opportunity wise but also people/faculty wise). Thank you!!

Cornell:
Pros-
  • Students were nice overall
  • HSS, MSK, Rockefeller etc. = strong research opportunities and connections
  • NYP + clinical rotations at diverse places = strong clinical education
  • Subsidized housing in the upper east side
  • 6 mons dedicated for research + area of concentration
  • Diverse student body (I think?)

Cons-
  • Got a great financial aid package but they said it can go down since it's re-evaluated every year (I think it will go down because of a change in family situation recently) --> will probably need to pay more here
  • AOA pre-match
  • Honors/HP/P/F clinicals so there is ranking then
  • Housing situation isn't great (dorms first year and ok apartments afterwards)
  • Weekly quizzes/exams, especially on Mondays so barely any weekends esp first year
  • I couldn't really get a feel for the vibe during second look but read in other forums that students are typically more stressed?
  • Unsure about student support and the help with residency applications
Sinai:
Pros-
  • Got a great financial aid package... less than Cornell but they said it won't go down for the 4 years so it might end up being equal or less than Cornell
  • Got the vibe that students really do love it here and I felt like I could fit in
  • Amazing housing situation (rent is cheaper than Cornell but the apartments are new and spacious)
  • Student support seems very good! Ex. admin paid others to put together anki decks for each lecture that students are given to use
  • Exams / quizzes on Fridays so weekends are more open
  • Innovation + research focus of the health system

Cons-
  • Seemed like 50% of their class was early admits through FlexMed so generally less diverse (mostly trad applicants, which means they're closer to my age and that's good for making friends but unsure if a diverse student body is better for my education)
  • Recently closed one of their major hospitals
  • Saw data about their main hospital being less funded and generally lower in ranking in some areas than other NYC hospitals (NYP etc.)
  • Less name prestige I think? Unsure if Cornell opens more doors or helps during residency apps

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: On the WL for Sinai

It’s pretty tough between these two. I don’t really see any major pros or any major cons that one has over the other. I think it would be helpful if you had an idea of what you’re looking for.

For example, if you’re looking to go into academia or ortho or something along those lines, perhaps Cornell may be a better fit because of the HSS and MSK opportunities as well as the dedicated research period to help you get into those specialties. Not saying that Sinai would hold you back, but it seems like this aspect is decently different between the schools and it can help differentiate if you have an idea in what you’re interested in.

I’m going to say the same thing for the diversity and housing. It seems like Cornell has more class diversity (patient diversity is still great between both schools) while Sinai has better housing. Which one do you value more?

I know you made a pro/con list but when it’s so close, I think it’s helpful to try and weigh these pros and cons a bit to fit your wants and needs

Reactions: 1 users
The FA thing is a big one for me. Not having it guaranteed is a huge risk. When you applied this year, did you have another sibling in graduate school or undergrad? Will that person still be there for the next four years? Are you expecting your parents income to more likely increase or decrease of the next four years? What about your income?

I would typically lean to Cornell based on your other factors. But the FA thing could be no big deal or a big problem.

Contrats!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Financial aid office at Sinai said that the need-based aid was guaranteed? Was also wondering about this since I'm admitted at Sinai lol

Thank you guys all for your input!! I think I’m leaning towards Cornell because of the opportunities through MSK and HSS, as well as the diverse student body. I’m pretty undecided about what I want to do but I think the opportunities here will set me up well. The financial uncertainty sucks so hopefully the difference in cost wont be too crazy at the end. 🙏🏽 Thanks again!!

Financial aid office at Sinai said that the need-based aid was guaranteed? Was also wondering about this since I'm admitted at Sinai lol
Hi! Yes they said your package can remain the same for your 4 years if you choose to not re-calculate your EFC… they give you the option!

Something to keep in mind — you will be working with a more diverse patient population at Sinai! Cornell is quite upper east side oriented.