**UCLA SOM c/o 2009 Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i'm moving into weyburn this friday too - wish me luck! i will be in the "Aloe" building - any of you know where you are going to be yet?

Members don't see this ad.

yo. i just got in yesterday... still dazed about it... trying to figure everything out this last week. whats the deal with catalina? id love to come. anyway, just wanted to say what up. cant wait to meet everyone.

Congrats DoctorMohandes! The catalina trip is a day trip on aug 13th where the 1st and 2nd year students go out to chill and bond and stuff. If you don't get the email with the info soon, jus PM me or any of us and we can fwd it ^^.

Jen: I'll try and take some pics or something and post them on this forum or link them here if my internet works when I get there.

lulu: so far (of this forum) i think it's just you and me this friday. ahhh!!! anyone else? once i get some of my stuff in the room i'll run around knocking on everyone's doors with a "poor med student: feed me" sign or something...

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLAstudent said:
bb88, I'm glad you picked UCLA. :)

I'll be in Westwood a few days before orientation if you guys want to meet for coffee or something.

Thanks uclastudent, I can't believe how time has flown since we were talking about getting in, at that rate we're gonna be graduating in no time lol

How's it going guys? I've been MIA for a while (in MIA actually haha), but I'm getting more and more excited to meet you all. It sounds like we're gonna have an awesome class. A few posts back I thought it would be cool for us to get together in the days before orientation, and it sounds like some of you want to (ucla student, lulu, jen, hope I got everyone). So let's do it, coffee or maloney's were mentioned, I'm down for either. I'm guessing it'll be best the weekend before b/c it seems the most people will be around then.

If you guys want, you can PM me your cell #s, AIM names, etc, I can make a list and send it to everyone (if you don't want to post them here). It'll probably make it easier to get in touch that way since we'll all be doing our own things as we move in.

And Kownell (or anyone else that is new): I'd also be happy to show you around or help you out in any way since I'm from here.

That list is a good idea, bb88. I PMed you my info.

Ditto

UCLAstudent... anything you can tell us about setting up internet at weyburn/ucla dorms in general? since we've already signed the terms of use form for campus network access, do you think we can just plug in and get online? or should we expect to have to wait till aug 1st?

skreenin, I am pretty sure that we'll be able to get online when we get there. That's how it was in the dorms.

There are also a ton of libraries and computer labs on campus where you can get online. Some require your BOL ID, while others don't.

yo again. would one of you guys mind forwarding me the email about catalina, and any other emails you received after you got in, cause i get the feeling im pretty much expected to play catch up with everything in this last week, and the student affairs office ppl weren't too friendly today when i went in. anyway, id really appreciate it if someone could do this for me. getting together before school starts sounds great.... maloneys would be cool, but i dont know if it will be as great as it gets when school starts cause not a lot of kids start till late september. q's or cabo cantin have really awesome happy hours and are pretty chill places to hang out, etc but either way, im in... i'll pm my info.

Hey guys,
Just got my housing assignment and roommate info. I'm in Cypress Court (don't get any ideas about booby trapping my room Won). I haven't had a chance to talk to my roomie yet (none of you happen to be named Stacie by any chance) but the prospect is exciting. It's all coming together! Like I said I get in the 30th so Maloneys or coffee works great for me.

i'm definitely up for a get-together! i'm moving into my apartment this friday, so i'll be up for anything after that. after all, we gotta do something to enjoy our last week of summer... (where did the time go?)

anyone hear anything else about parking yet (besides the email we got on it?)

UCLAstudent said:
skreenin, I am pretty sure that we'll be able to get online when we get there. That's how it was in the dorms.

Sweet~ thanks uclastudent. berkeley was pretty chaotic and we had to register our ethernet cards and go to a residential computing session before we got online... i'm glad ucla is more chill about it.

you're in cypress jen? aw hm... here's a site plan of weyburn i found on google

http://www.housing.ucla.edu/housing_site/news/WeyburnSitePlan.pdf

Aloe and Cyprus are right next to each other... but i guess we're not all in the same building. ah well. i'm sure with only 120 of us taking the same classes we'll see enough of each other as it is :laugh:

i'm excited.

actually, i'm kinda at that nervous antsy phase right now.

oh, just curious, is anyone signing up for a campus meal plan?

and i'm totally down for coffee or whatever.

(decaf for me *nervous twitch* :scared: )

Hey, anyone looking for an apartment? Weyburns about $825 + parking but I found a sweet place that would b $900 a month (including parking). Its a wonderful penthouse with views of the Getty Center from the living room and terrace/balcony.

The place is two bedroom, My sis and I would share one, and you would get your own spacious bedroom which includes an attached bathroom and walk-in closet. Its an amazing apartment on Ophir and Vetran. Done up well marble and high high ceilings and stuff.

If your interested or just want more info please PM ASAP. Or if you know anyone else looking for a roomie please let me know. I just got off the waitlist and started scrambling around purty late.

Oh and we are also very nice :love: hehe See you all in what....10 days! :)

Now I'm really curious about my Weyburn building! I used the Ask Housing thingie and was told that they're mailing out that information (as well as roommate contact info, how to get keys, etc.) any day now. :D

mangos, that place sounds great! And it's pretty close to Weyburn, so you can visit us! :)

skreenin, I didn't know they offered a campus meal plan to medical students. If it requires going to the dorms to eat, don't bother. It would be a 20-minute walk each way.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey hey. so i just checked out the weyburn terrace, and the bedrooms are just a tad bit small for me (im a small guy, but i take up a lot of room) so im gonna try to find an apartment in the next week. are any one of you guys still looking for apartments and looking for a roommate? im neat and pretty chill, so let me know. also, about this get together thing... i know we dont know each other at all and stuff, so im thinking......we need to get drunk. the whole coffee thing sounds great, once we get to know eachother, but i really feel drinking is the solution to creating a more relaxed environment. :D so i suggest maloneys, qs, busby's, cabo cantine, brew co, etc.

uclastudent: thanks for the info ^^

DoctorMohandes said:
hey hey. so i just checked out the weyburn terrace, and the bedrooms are just a tad bit small for me (im a small guy, but i take up a lot of room) so im gonna try to find an apartment in the next week. are any one of you guys still looking for apartments and looking for a roommate? im neat and pretty chill, so let me know. also, about this get together thing... i know we dont know each other at all and stuff, so im thinking......we need to get drunk. the whole coffee thing sounds great, once we get to know eachother, but i really feel drinking is the solution to creating a more relaxed environment. :D so i suggest maloneys, qs, busby's, cabo cantine, brew co, etc.

haha wow. this should be fun/interesting :laugh:

hey, hey.

An introductory bar hop sounds like fun. Count me in.

BTW, I'll be living in Aloe Ct. with a 2nd year med student. Hey skreenin, do you know which floor?

bb88 i pmed my info.

DoctorMohandes said:

i second the motion! ;)

What up everyone,

Got some of your guys' info, I'll wait another day or two to see if anyone wants to add, and I'll send it out. I forgot to mention, but emails and/or WT room numbers might be good to if you didn't already include it.

And I agree, Cabo Cantina/Q's is very fun, and having a drink--or three--does make it better lol. But it's still cool for those that don't as well.

BTW, are any of us 1st years also living in Weyburn's Palm Court building? I know they threw everyone in there last year, but I haven't heard of anyone being assigned to it now. Any info?

I was wondering does anyone know what is the 4506 form? The medical school is asking a form from my parents and myself. I didn't file taxes for 2004. Do you know if I still need to send them the 4506 form? thanks.

I know someone asked about furniture earlier in the thread. I was at Target yesterday and they had some decent furniture for a good price. I'm thinking of getting a bookshelf, dresser, and desk that I saw there ... it added up to about $300. It's the kind of thing that you'd have to assemble yourself, but that makes it easy to transport it. Check it out if you're looking for cheap furniture!

ucla09, I don't really have any answer to your question. :(

yo yo. im heading to vegas this weekend... if anyones heading there as well, hit me up and we can party together. figured id go there one last time before i start digging myself into the med school debt... hopefully ill hit the jackpot :luck:

oh and i forgot. the 4506 form is part of the tax certification you do as part of the financial aid application. go to medstudent.ucla.edu/accepted/fao and the tax certification is part of the four things you need to complete to complete the aid packet. let me know if this makes sense or if you need more help.

private skreenin reporting for duty...

so after getting lost on the 405 for a while (mapquest deceived me), i finally made it to weyburn terrace. for those of you who wanted to know, the rooms are about 3x3.5 meters, and are totally unfurnished (rooms don't even have ceiling lights; oh and bring a roll of toilet paper to last you until you can go shopping). other than that the place is beautiful. the buildings have a taste of siena with a neomodern twist, and everythings very secure (keycard access with pin for all entry points including our rooms).

for those of you driving down, i'd suggest getting here before 5pm so they can get you the parking info right away... it's not under their jurisdiction, but they can point you in the right direction. most of the buildings are red zones all around, so it'd be best to find someone to let you into the garage/parking structure when you check in.

oh, btw i'm 2nd floor aloe... so i guess we're floor mates kownell :D

the checkin place is your first immediate right when you turn in onto weyburn from veteran (kinda hard to see at first).

ok i think that's about all i can say from my experience ... PM me if you get here and you wanna meet up for coffee or to go shopping for stuff~

That's great, skreenin! Thanks for the info. I'll be there on Thursday. Gosh, I haven't even started packing/buying things I'll need. Although, I did buy a little George Foreman grill. :D

hi guys!
just moved in this weekend (3rd floor Aloe Court, neighbors!). the apartments are really cute, but think SMALL. the studios have big kitchens and bathrooms, but the living space is tiny - no queen sized beds, you hear? ;)

my building only had one working elevator, which you can most easily enter through the garage, so like skreenin said, get here early enough to get your parking stuff taken care of! also, get here early morning or late afternoon if you can, to avoid waiting in line for the elevator.

ikea also has some pretty cheap furniture (i got a bedframe, book case, nightstand, dresser, and kitchen table and stools for less than $300).

oh yeah - it is VERY HOT here right now, prepare to sweat up a storm. looking forward to meeting you all!

What's up guys,
I've sent out that contact list, I think everything should be accurate because I mostly copy-pasted. Anyhow, let's keep in touch and do the bar thing this weekend for sure!

wait, is there a/c in the dorms? or are large fans the way to go?

lulubean said:
hi guys!
just moved in this weekend (3rd floor Aloe Court, neighbors!). the apartments are really cute, but think SMALL. the studios have big kitchens and bathrooms, but the living space is tiny - no queen sized beds, you hear? ;)

my building only had one working elevator, which you can most easily enter through the garage, so like skreenin said, get here early enough to get your parking stuff taken care of! also, get here early morning or late afternoon if you can, to avoid waiting in line for the elevator.

ikea also has some pretty cheap furniture (i got a bedframe, book case, nightstand, dresser, and kitchen table and stools for less than $300).

oh yeah - it is VERY HOT here right now, prepare to sweat up a storm. looking forward to meeting you all!

weyburn terrace has central A/C and heating (yay!). no need for fans.

oh yeah, when you guys move in, make sure you check to see all of the appliances are working. since a lot of these are new buildings, there are a lot of quirks to work out. neither my A/C or my microwave have initally worked. the maintenance staff is VERY helpful though, and are super quick to fix things.

there's actually an awesome a/c system in these dorms ^^ so don't worry too much about that. it's just hot outside right now... ugh. i thought socal was supposed to be temperate. ah well. beats sac.

some further info. the bathrooms have towel racks, mirrors (2), medicine cabinet (one of the mirrors), and sliding shower doors.

i ran into an M1 that i knew from undergrad and he's in aloe too. seems like there's more of us in here... ?

Hello everyone!
I just got accepted today. I was set to go somewhere else in 2 weeks but now I will be joining you guys on Monday!!! I hope I can find an apartment soon but since I am from Southern California it won't be so bad to move in such short notice. I'll see you guys on Monday! :D

yo. so i just got back from vegas and i got the email for housing.... ive been offered a 2 bedroom townhouse at weyburn, but after i took a look at it this past week, considering the price, im having second doubts about accepting the offer. mostly cause the rooms were tine (as i mentioned before, i like to have a lot of space) and for the price id be paying (1000 including parking ) i could get a really awesome bedroom in a 2 bedroom apartment in westwood, the only problem is.... i have like 5 days to find an apartment and a roommate, and i have to tell the housing people by wednesday if i accept or reject the offer. so i was wondering if you guys have any recommendations, or if any of you need a roommate/apartment.

other than that.... how does thursday night sound to everyone for going out? bars should be happening, and maybe we can even grab a cup of coffee :laugh: jk.

cant wait till next monday. see y'all

lis79 said:
Hello everyone!
I just got accepted today. I was set to go somewhere else in 2 weeks but now I will be joining you guys on Monday!!! I hope I can find an apartment soon but since I am from Southern California it won't be so bad to move in such short notice. I'll see you guys on Monday! :D

hey lis, congrats!!!! i can only imagine how you feel... i got in last week and ive been on cloud 99 since. let me know if you need any help this week with fin aid stuff, housing, or how to get the things done before next week... ive been rushing to get everything done by next week, and im sure youre having the same problem. make sure you send everyone your contact info so we can get you drunk this week. wow, im so excited for you, you must be more stoked than i am. congrats again.

Congrats, lis! I'm looking forward to meeting you. Talk about short notice. :D

DoctorMohandes, Thursday night should work for me. I'm moving in that day, but hopefully I can be done unpacking by that evening.

Welcome aboard lis! I'll be seeing you on Monday. Where will you be moving from?

Hey Mohandes and UCLAstudent, a Friday/Saturday night bar hop would work best for me. I just emailed my new roomate (non-SDNer) and he's pretty much set on going too. Believe it or not, the last item on my "things to do" is my health clearance. I have an appointment for the 29th. I'd imagine that being hung-over at my physical would not be the prettiest of sights.

doctormohandes, did you try craigslist or the daily bruin? if you really don't want to live in student housing, you can always find a sublet for a couple of month to give you more time to find your ideal home.

as for drinks, i can't do thursday but friday/saturday work for me!

congrats lis! can't wait to meet everyone~

as for bar hopping i think that friday/saturday would work best for me as well.

Yeah, honestly, Friday/Saturday would work better for me, too.

2 questions... can someone please pm me the temporary log on for the housing site where we can look for roommates, etc cause i cant remeber it and have any of you guys heard anything from dayna about the parking situation? she never emailed me back. thanks

sorry if this appears twice, for some reason my last post didn't show up.

anyhow, i am gonna make an executive decision and suggest saturday for our little shindig. does that work for everyone?

someone want to volunteer to plan the bar route? :cool:

HI everyone,

Since I just got accepted, I have not heard anything about financial aid. They told me to wait 2 days before getting in touch with them because I would need a pin number. When do you get your money disbursed? Also, about how much rent are you guys paying a month for your housing? I am looking for apartments around the area and just want to make sure that I would be able to afford them. As for university housing, I am married and there is a 9-12 month waiting list. :( Thanks for your help!

lis79 said:
HI everyone,

Since I just got accepted, I have not heard anything about financial aid. They told me to wait 2 days before getting in touch with them because I would need a pin number. When do you get your money disbursed? Also, about how much rent are you guys paying a month for your housing? I am looking for apartments around the area and just want to make sure that I would be able to afford them. As for university housing, I am married and there is a 9-12 month waiting list. :( Thanks for your help!

Hi lis79, financial aid hasn't been disbursed yet. I believe we'll get it in the first week of August. Housing at Weyburn is like 900 bucks a month for a two bedroom apartment. Kind of steep, but it includes utilities, Internet, and cable. My undergrad apartment in Westwood was 2000 a month for two bedrooms (split amongst four people). If you find any places and want to know how close they are to the medical school, let me know. I'm pretty familiar with the area.

Lulu, Saturday is fine with me. :thumbup:

I just got my Weyburn assignment. I'll be in Olive Court. :D I guess they spread the med students throughout Weyburn.

Olive eh? You're so far UCLAstudent! (j/k). :p

I'm actually posting cause i have a request/favor...? Is anyone planning on going to ikea anytime soon that owns a van or a truck (or just a decent sized car i suppose)? I'm a sucker for big desks, and there's this one i want to get that i don't think will fit in my 2dr civic coupe. I'd be happy to buy this person a drink when we go bar hopping, or some snacks at ikea (whatever they prefer). If there are any takers please let me know!

thanks

skreenin said:
Olive eh? You're so far UCLAstudent! (j/k). :p

I'm actually posting cause i have a request/favor...? Is anyone planning on going to ikea anytime soon that owns a van or a truck (or just a decent sized car i suppose)? I'm a sucker for big desks, and there's this one i want to get that i don't think will fit in my 2dr civic coupe. I'd be happy to buy this person a drink when we go bar hopping, or some snacks at ikea (whatever they prefer). If there are any takers please let me know!

thanks

Yeah, I feel kind of far away from the rest of you! You guys will have to let me come visit so that I don't get lonely! Anyway, I am in the process of unpacking. It's been a rough day. I got up to my apartment and it was totally trashed ... so I had to wait around for them to assign me a new one.

Oh, and skreenin, most of Ikea's stuff you will need to assemble yourself, so it might fit in your car. I just was down there today.

Hi UCLAstudent,
Don't worry about your location. I am sure it's fine. At least you knew you had an apartment. I just got accepted this Monday and have been going crazy looking for an apartment. The waiting list is too long for married couples so that wasn't going to work. I was just about to get an apartment in Santa Monica when I found a cute and good priced apartment on Midvale. ( I have 2 Chihuahuas so that made it a little bit harder to find an apartment.) But anyways, I am glad that I will be settled in by Sunday night and not worry about where I am going to live. I can't wait to meet you guys on Monday. :D

UCLAstudent said:
Yeah, I feel kind of far away from the rest of you! You guys will have to let me come visit so that I don't get lonely! Anyway, I am in the process of unpacking. It's been a rough day. I got up to my apartment and it was totally trashed ... so I had to wait around for them to assign me a new one.

Oh, and skreenin, most of Ikea's stuff you will need to assemble yourself, so it might fit in your car. I just was down there today.

oh yea, i'm familiar with ikea stuff... it's just that the main piece of the desk i was planning to get was uber big. it's all good though, i ended up going with a different option :D

i hope everything works out with your housing lis~

only a few more days until the semester starts *shudder*...

just wondering if everyone is still down to get together tomorrow night. hope everyone's move's been going smoothly. lemme know if any of you out of towners need any help with anything.

I'm still down. Did we set a time yet?