**UCLA SOM c/o 2009 Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skreenin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK. I finally decided on UCLA today. Anyone else that's set on UCLA c/o 2009 wanna start chatting/hobnobbing? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

skreenin said:
OK. I finally decided on UCLA today. Anyone else that's set on UCLA c/o 2009 wanna start chatting/hobnobbing? :laugh:

CONGRATS TO ALL! UCLA is a tight place.

I am torn between going to Geffen or UCSF...don't know where I'll end up.

Tra La La said:
CONGRATS TO ALL! UCLA is a tight place.

I am torn between going to Geffen or UCSF...don't know where I'll end up.

Wow that's awesome. I've done research at UCSF off and on for the past couple of years. I love the campus and was really disappointed when they didn't take me :( After visiting LA tho i was like "whoa..." UCSF does have amazing facilities and the ranking is a big plus... but I think with the new hospital coming and the new neuroscience facility (which is what i wanna get into) UCLA becomes a serious contender. Course I'm biased now that i've decided to go there :D

But I'm still gonna root for Cal during the football season ... hehe...

Anyway, congrats Tra la la! Let us know where you decide on~

Members don't see this ad :)
skreenin said:
Wow that's awesome. I've done research at UCSF off and on for the past couple of years. I love the campus and was really disappointed when they didn't take me :( After visiting LA tho i was like "whoa..." UCSF does have amazing facilities and the ranking is a big plus... but I think with the new hospital coming and the new neuroscience facility (which is what i wanna get into) UCLA becomes a serious contender. Course I'm biased now that i've decided to go there :D

But I'm still gonna root for Cal during the football season ... hehe...

Anyway, congrats Tra la la! Let us know where you decide on~

Thanks for the kind words, skreenin.

UCLA is an amazing place--and their new hospital and biomedical research facilities are breathtaking. I think of all the places I have visited, UCLA has the best location, campus, and environment.

Geffen is a wonderful place, and it's so open (UCSF is a little cramped and cornered).

Congrats on getting in!

I'm set on UCLA. I can't wait for the new hospital and the three research buildings to open up! I walk by them every day and drool. ;)

Tra La La, good luck with your decision! You really can't go wrong with either. :)

BTW, are you guys going to second look weekend??

Hello everyone. I might be going to ULCA in the fall, but I'm still not ready to commit for sure. It is definitely an awesome option to have though. Money will probably be a big factor in my decision. Do any of you know how easy or common it is for med students to get in-state tuition at UCLA after a year? I remember at my UCSF interview the financial aid lady said that their out-of-staters get in-state tuition after a year if they do all the things they need to for the residency. I wonder if that applies for UCLA as well. It is probably something I need to contact UCLA about, but I don't like to bother admissions offices.

I wish I could go to the second look weekend, but I'm studying abroad this semester. It's a long trip to make from Buenos Aires:)

UCLAstudent said:
BTW, are you guys going to second look weekend??

UCLAstudent--I'll be there!

I already submitted my RSVP, and I signed up for the four hour LA bus tour. That sounds like it should be a lot of fun! I hope to see you and the others there!

:thumbup:

Annierlend said:
Hello everyone. I might be going to ULCA in the fall, but I'm still not ready to commit for sure. It is definitely an awesome option to have though. Money will probably be a big factor in my decision. Do any of you know how easy or common it is for med students to get in-state tuition at UCLA after a year? I remember at my UCSF interview the financial aid lady said that their out-of-staters get in-state tuition after a year if they do all the things they need to for the residency. I wonder if that applies for UCLA as well. It is probably something I need to contact UCLA about, but I don't like to bother admissions offices.

I wish I could go to the second look weekend, but I'm studying abroad this semester. It's a long trip to make from Buenos Aires:)

I don't see why UCSF could offer you that and UCLA could not. I think it's a legitimate reason to bug the admissions office ^^ I've called them a couple of times for more trivial things... but after you say "Hi, i was recently accepted to ucla... blah blah blah" they're really nice and willing to help.

Btw... when is second look weekend and how come I never was officially told about it? :confused: I think it'd be great to see the campus one more time for peace of mind before i commit the next four years of my life...

skreenin said:
Btw... when is second look weekend and how come I never was officially told about it? :confused: I think it'd be great to see the campus one more time for peace of mind before i commit the next four years of my life...

Second-look "weekend" is on April 16th. I got something via snail mail a couple of weeks ago.

Annierlend said:

Congratulations on admission! That's the requirement California sets for residency. That means regardless of what Cali school you go to, you'll get in-state residency after first year (public schools).

Just tryin to keep the thread moderately alive ^^

Hey are any of y'all thinking about living in the Weyburn Terrace graduate housing?

skreenin, I definitely want to live there. A lot of the medical students do. They group all of the medical students in the same building, I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
sweet ^^ hopefully getting in isn't too hard...

I believe that enough spots are put aside in Weyburn Terrace for the first and second year classes.

bump

any new ucla-ers?

Does anyone know what the dress attire is for second look day? I'll call the admissions office if nobody knows.

hey everyone! just bumping this thread up because i officially decided today that i'm going to UCLA. it's going to be great -- i can't wait!

where is everyone living next year? i just started apt. hunting and am feeling a bit overwhelmed...

Congrats, lunanv! :D Were you at Recruitment Day?

I really want to live in Weyburn Terrace next year. I filled out the form online yesterday.

yeah, i was at recruitment, but i was exhausted from a long night the day before and didn't end up talking to very many people ... silly on my part, but i'm definitely looking forward to meeting everyone at orientation!

i LOVED the standardized patient segment, though... that actor was intense (but i guess i shouldn't be surprised since well.. it is LA :) )

do you know what percentage of the M1s live at weyburn? do you think i'll be missing out on first-year bonding if i live somewhere else in westwood or in brentwood??

Gotta say--UCLA is the ****.

haha did you decide on LA then Tra la la? I totally agree with you btw ^^

In response to whether or not a lot of M1s live in Weyburn Terrace ... my friend is a grad student in film over there right now and lives in those apts. He says there are a good number of med students that live there so i should definitely consider it.

skreenin said:
haha did you decide on LA then Tra la la? I totally agree with you btw ^^

In response to whether or not a lot of M1s live in Weyburn Terrace ... my friend is a grad student in film over there right now and lives in those apts. He says there are a good number of med students that live there so i should definitely consider it.

Haven't decided yet, but I loved UCLA. Great place.

I really like the Weyburn Terrace apartments. They're a five-minute walk to the medical school ... and there's a Starbucks and a Coffee Bean on the way. Can't beat that. ;)

I know of some students who don't live in Weyburn. You might look into apartments on Tiverton. That's REALLY close to the medical school.

questions? let me know. ill answer a bit late though. peace. congrat.s

UCLAStudent, where do most of the undergrads live? one of the M1s at recruitment mentioned that i probably don't want to live around certain areas of westwood (since it tends to get loud), but i'm not sure which streets i should be avoiding. any advice?? :)

Hi all,

I got accepted to UCLA this week, and I am considering going there. I have a few questions for you guys:

Did you guys get the financial package from UCLA yet? If so, how long does it take since you submitted the form?

Do most med students live at the Weyburn Terrace? Is there a lottery for it? How does the room arrange? Do you get your own room? How about parking?

Thanks!

UCLAstudent said:
I really like the Weyburn Terrace apartments. They're a five-minute walk to the medical school ... and there's a Starbucks and a Coffee Bean on the way. Can't beat that. ;)

I know of some students who don't live in Weyburn. You might look into apartments on Tiverton. That's REALLY close to the medical school.

lunanv, many undergrads live on streets like Kelton, Landfair, Veteran, Glenrock, and Gayley. I live in this area, but haven't noticed too much noice. Gayley is where many of the frats are, though.

Tra La La said:
Haven't decided yet, but I loved UCLA. Great place.

I think you've subconsciously wanted to go to LA all along (hence your name) :laugh:

As for the question about financial aid. Yea i'm wondering about that too. i haven't really gotten my forms in, although i started the process online. anyone complete theirs yet and can report on a turnaround time?

The weyburn apts have single studio type apts as well as two room apts and two room town house types. the rent ranges from 825-875 a month. everyone on this thread should apply there and we can start a cohort or something ^^

bhp said:
Hi all,

I got accepted to UCLA this week, and I am considering going there. I have a few questions for you guys:

Did you guys get the financial package from UCLA yet? If so, how long does it take since you submitted the form?

Do most med students live at the Weyburn Terrace? Is there a lottery for it? How does the room arrange? Do you get your own room? How about parking?

Thanks!

in regards to parking, i know if you're a med student who lives off-campus you get guaranteed parking... i think it's P7 next to the gym, but i could be wrong... either way, it's supposedly a 5 - 10 minute walk from the SoM.

if you live in weyburn, you get weyburn parking.

i'm not sure how much rates are, though..

hope that helps!

hey guys!

it's official - i am returning to my college stomping ground for medical school. :clap: what a relief to have finally decided! i will miss the seasons and activity of new york, but am so looking forward to the sunshine and med school experience at ucla.

tra la la - i think you should join us too!

anyways, i am looking forward to meeting you all!

lulubean said:
hey guys!

it's official - i am returning to my college stomping ground for medical school. :clap: what a relief to have finally decided! i will miss the seasons and activity of new york, but am so looking forward to the sunshine and med school experience at ucla.

Congratulations! :thumbup:

lulubean said:
hey guys!

Wahooooo! :clap: :laugh:

i'm still surprised by how few of us there seem to be on SDN...

lunanv said:
i'm still surprised by how few of us there seem to be on SDN...

Trust me, there are plenty who WISH they were one of you!

no other drew kids? well im headed to cali in august and cant wait to meet all of you guys. i loved ucla when i visited for my drew interview and cant wait to live in a city again. ive been looking at a lot of off campus housing (im getting married in july, and my fiance wants a lot of room to work in) but the prices are outrageous! also, have you guys started looking for laptops yet?? i want to get a powerbook but i was reading on the ucla website that they dont really encourage it. any of you guys from out of state?

Yea it really does feel like there aren't many people who have decided on ucla ... i heard that in years previous they take almost a third of the incoming class from off the waitlist or something ridiculous like that. looking at the ucla final decisions thread, it does seems like the adcom is a little waitlist-happy. ah well, that just means come may 15th we'll have a party in here or something :laugh:

anyway i can't wait to meet everyone~ for those newcomers, apply to the weyburn terrace housing :clap:

I agree, it doesn't seem like there are a lot of future Bruins. But, most of the people I met at second look were pretty sent on attending UCLA.

For those who went to second look weekend or from UCLA originally, can u tell me a bit more about weyburn terrace housing? Is it where most med students live? Is the apartment pretty nice? How far is it to med school?

so i'd really like to live in weyburn but am worried about parking. i didn't live in westwood during undergrad, but know that parking is near impossible to find. i know we get parking but i am thinking about my non-ucla friends who come to visit - where do they park? do you know UCLAstudent?

also, are you all applying for studios or 2 bedrooms?

finally, do you know how many med students live in Venice/Barry or Rose or Keystone/Mentone?

lulubean said:
so i'd really like to live in weyburn but am worried about parking. i didn't live in westwood during undergrad, but know that parking is near impossible to find. i know we get parking but i am thinking about my non-ucla friends who come to visit - where do they park? do you know UCLAstudent?

finally, do you know how many med students live in Venice/Barry or Rose or Keystone/Mentone?

i would imagine that parking will be just as bad at weyburn as it would be at any westwood apartment. i guess people visiting could pay for parking for the day in westwood or on campus.

lulubean said:

Parking in Westwood is always bad....but your visitor could park along Veteran and walk to Weyburn Terrace...not that far....it might not be easy to find parking on Veteran ...but it's possible if you're lucky. My last quarter at UCLA, I commuted and always found a parking. I also used the school bus to get around....

by the by... is anyone signing up for undergrad courses along with their med ones? i heard it's totally doable at some campuses (and ucla seems like it'd be one of them). i was thinking about taking a language course. any thoughts?

bump

any other future bruins?

hey all,

I'm so excited to go to ucla, back to warm and sunny weather!

i talked with the financial aid people recently. Once your fafsa and need access form is in, you can call the office and they said they can get you an estimate (by email) pretty quickly. call the office and let them know if you want this done though, otherwise I think they take a while (as most of us, i'm sure, know already)

doctorish said:
hey all,

I'm so excited to go to ucla, back to warm and sunny weather!

i talked with the financial aid people recently. Once your fafsa and need access form is in, you can call the office and they said they can get you an estimate (by email) pretty quickly. call the office and let them know if you want this done though, otherwise I think they take a while (as most of us, i'm sure, know already)

Yeah.. they can definitely do an estimate for you pretty quickly. Unfortunately, the package doesn't look too encouraging... so now I will have to wait for the fiancial package from another school before making the big decision.

bhp said:
Yeah.. they can definitely do an estimate for you pretty quickly. Unfortunately, the package doesn't look too encouraging... so now I will have to wait for the fiancial package from another school before making the big decision.
Do the UC schools offer much, considering they are less expensive to begin with? What would be considered an encouraging package?

do you guys have a link to the need access form?

i'm also interested in how your package looked like. do you come from a well off family?

No... definitely not from a wealth family.

I am an out-of-state applicant, and the first year estimated loan is over $50k already... majority of it is from unsubsidized loan too....

gonius said:
do you guys have a link to the need access form?

i'm also interested in how your package looked like. do you come from a well off family?