UCLA Geffen part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I moved into Weyburn today too! I love my 2bed/2ba apartment. It's small but very nice and big enough for the essentials. I also met my roommate too which was really cool. I saw a bunch of other people moving in, maybe they are med students also? Probably some of you guys on SDN. It's about 15min walk to the medical school and it's close to everything like Coffeebean, InNout, tons of restaurants, cvs pharmacy, and a movie theater. Cadnd, I'm pretty close to you (315) and probably right above UCLAgal (don't worry, I'll try to resist jumping up and down). I'll stop by the movie/ice cream thingie if I'm around. See you guys soon!

Members don't see this ad.

It's good to read that people are finally moving into their apts at Weyburn Terrace. I'm lucky enough to continue living in the same place I've been for the last 5 yrs in Pacific Palisades - we'll have many parties here soon enough!!!
I'll be on UCLA campus tomorrow morning if anybody needs help moving in...

CalBeE said:
I just called Housing office, and apparently they have made arrangement for me to live in temporary housing (University apartment about 4 miles from campus) until Weyburn Phase 2 is completed. I'll get a one-bedroom apt by myself at University Village on Sawtelle. The drawbacks are: I have to take the bus to school, and I'll have to move all over again to Weyburn later on.

but hey. i heard you get free movers to help you. and your apt now is a bit cheaper. so thats good.

yeah. maybe ill be able to drop by the apartment parties. itll be nice to meet you all. thanks for the invite!! im excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Weyburn has a lot of med students it seems. I was out there countless times in the past few days (I work for the tech center and there have been quite a few problems with the network out there lately), and everyone I talked to was a med student. (making me jealous here - I still have three years to go in this process here :scared: haha) I like the apartments in weyburn; they're pretty nice. So if you guys have problems with your network, I'll probably be the one coming out to fix it haha :)

shanddallar said:
So I moved into Weyburn today too! I love my 2bed/2ba apartment. It's small but very nice and big enough for the essentials. I also met my roommate too which was really cool. I saw a bunch of other people moving in, maybe they are med students also? Probably some of you guys on SDN. It's about 15min walk to the medical school and it's close to everything like Coffeebean, InNout, tons of restaurants, cvs pharmacy, and a movie theater. Cadnd, I'm pretty close to you (315) and probably right above UCLAgal (don't worry, I'll try to resist jumping up and down). I'll stop by the movie/ice cream thingie if I'm around. See you guys soon!
The best thing about Weyburn is probably the location. One block to the east are two big theatres (Corner of Weyburn and Broxton), where movie premieres are always held, usually like a week or two before its official release.
A big Ralph's and Best Buy are on Le Conte Ave., which is one block north of Weyburn. A small Wholefood Market's on Gayley Ave., which is perpendicular to Weyburn.

On the corner of Weyburn and Broxton are also two Boba places -- Boca Loca & Lollicup. I personally much prefer Boca Loca over Lollicup. I like their fusion tea, smoothies, and shakes.

I'll stop over on Sunday UCLA gal....anything for a little ice cream.
Are a few people interested in going out for some drinks this weekend during our last days as non-medical students?!? Just wondering, if interested PM me or something.

UCLAgal said:
Hey guys,

I moved into Weyburn last week and the bedrooms aren't so bad. My full bed fit in there together with a pretty big desk. Parking underneath the apt complex ( in the basement) is 860/year, although we do get 1 month deducted from the fee because we don't park there until 8/1 (or in my case anyway). It's expensive but it's convenient.

anyway, I just wanted to invite all of you guys to my tiny apt #215 in Weyburn on sunday, Aug 1, at around 5 for a little cake/ice cream/ (maybe movie, too). It will be fun just to hang out and get to know each other before school starts. Also, bring your 1st-year roommates or other ppl in our class that you know, because i dont' know any. I heard that we should watch "Gross Anatomy" because that's what med students do :) Any other movie suggestion would be welcomed. Although, there is one tiny problem: I don't have a TV, so we'll have to watch it on my lap top, which has a 17" screen, but is still rather small.

by the way, i dont' know who my roommate is yet and i'm not sure if this is ok with her, but just for one day, i guess she'll be fine. and if you're my roommate, please call me. I left you my contact number in the room. Should I buy a dinner kitchen/chairs set? :oops:

hope to see you guys there!
I think I will be there as well. But since I'm not at Weyburn now, I may need you to buzz me in at the front door.

There is no front door. haha at the moment, since it's still under construction, there is no card access to the building itself - only to the rooms. Eventually, they will put card readers at the gates/doors, etc. but right now, just walk in.

Hey UCLAgal,

Are those of us not currently living at Weyburn invited too? :oops: I've got temporary housing that's pretty close by, so maybe I can try to come. :) I won't get to be a Weyburn resident till sometime late September, or whenever phase 2 of the construction is done.

I didn't expect so many people to reply. That's really exciting! I cannot wait to meet you guys and the rest of the class either. Oh, by the way, if you're not living at Weyburn, and you're not part of the club, you're gonna have to bring your own ice-cream. :smuggrin:

hehe, j/k. everyone is welcome (except law students...I've met one there). i might need a head count tho, guys so i know how much cake/icecream to buy.

see you soon!

UCLAgal said:
I didn't expect so many people to reply. That's really exciting! I cannot wait to meet you guys and the rest of the class either. Oh, by the way, if you're not living at Weyburn, and you're not part of the club, you're gonna have to bring your own ice-cream. :smuggrin:

hehe, j/k. everyone is welcome (except law students...I've met one there). i might need a head count tho, guys so i know how much cake/icecream to buy.

see you soon!
I'm coming for sure! It's also nice to be able to see how big (or small) Weyburn is. I've tried to throw away/donate as many stuff as possible so I don't have to move too much into my new apt.

Hey guys. If you dun mind, when you guys to go the orientation on Monday, can u check and see if everyone showed up to the orientation? Cuz that'll give some hope to the people on the waitlist. Thanks.

UCLAgal said:

see you soon!

I really want to stop by but I'm not sure if I can make it there at 5pm. Would it be okay if I'm a bit late? Like 6?

Members don't see this ad :)
I look forward to seeing everyone this upcoming week. I wonder if any other UCI or Mater Dei High School (Orange County, CA) Alumni are going to show up there.

I am new to these message boards, but from reading the posts in this thread, I see that I'm not the only one to have trouble with the housing office. They talk so much, yet say so little.

After much complaining, I was finally offered a 2 bedroom at Weyburn on Friday of last week, but my offer was only from August 2nd to May 31, 2005. Is this the standard offer that everyone else has gotten? I thought that the school year runs until the end of June!? Did anyone get a two year offer?... I wonder why they only gave me 1 year...

It seems like even though I bothered them by email or over the phone every three days for the last month or more, they still managed to screw up my application and delay my offer. Once they finally sent me the offer, in the body of the email they claimed that my offer was ready several weeks ago, and insisted that they sent it to me back then, which they did not. Heck, even on 7/23/04, they sent me this:

>We are sorry for the delay. We hope to have the situation of Weyburn >housing sorted very shortly for your move in time.
>Please continue to monitor your e-mails.

The phone conversations were equally informative. Oh well...

Also, did anyone get a studio? Even though I requested one, the gave me 2 bedroom (probably because 48% of the apartments are 2 bedroom and only 35% are studios). Oh well, I haven't had a roommate in a while, and don't know if want to go back to sharing an apartment (especially with someone I don't know at all)... but I guess I might have to take what they give me. I'll go to the housing office on Monday to try to get some more answers from them and see what my options are.

Daedalus said:
Tomasz, you went to Mater Dei? haha thats awesome - my brother goes there now... I, however, went to the rival school, Santa Margarita :smuggrin:
Congratulations on going to UCLA med. I still hold out hope, considering that 30% of the incoming class came from UCLA undergrad :), so perhaps I'll join you in a few years to balance out the MD influence - hehe jk.
I think everyone who was at Elizabeth's gathering tonight will agree that probably even more than 30% of this year's incoming class was UCLA undergrads! ;)

CalBeE said:
I think everyone who was at Elizabeth's gathering tonight will agree that probably even more than 30% of this year's incoming class was UCLA undergrads! ;)

i couldnt make it so early. how many people showed up? did all of weyburn terrace people come??

yup. a huge huge part of the class is from ucla. funny cause ucla undergrads have a rumor that ucla med doesnt like them...obviously its the opposite.

Tomasz - "I look forward to seeing everyone this upcoming week. I wonder if any other UCI or Mater Dei High School (Orange County, CA) Alumni are going to show up there."

Hey Tomasz, I went to Mater Dei as well. What year did you graduate? I am class of 2000. See you at orientation.

yo everyone,

for those at UCLA now, what're your AIM screenames? let's stay connected ya? mine is "Akalaka" Send over an IM! Holla....

docmemi said:
i couldnt make it so early. how many people showed up? did all of weyburn terrace people come??

yup. a huge huge part of the class is from ucla. funny cause ucla undergrads have a rumor that ucla med doesnt like them...obviously its the opposite.
I think like 20-30 people came in and out last night.

And oh geez, today's exhausting! I'm still debating which textbooks to get, cause they ARE expensive! I checked online and the prices are almost exactly the same as the bookstore prices. Even used books at half.com are not that much cheaper

...And a "certain" Korean guy told me to stay away from SDN...I guess I'll follow his advice from now on :D

just wanted to send a shout out to calbee! see ya in class.

docmemi said:
just wanted to send a shout out to calbee! see ya in class.
Hey none of us has figured out who you are in our class yet ;)
I met Twizzler, Akalaka, shadallar, UCLAgal, JimDiGriz, Buddha, and even Lolli today...but docmemi's still the mystery!

CalBeE said:
...And a "certain" Korean guy told me to stay away from SDN...I guess I'll follow his advice from now on :D

Darn it...I need to quite my bad habit of going onto SDN all the time! :p

CalBeE said:
Hey none of us has figured out who you are in our class yet ;)
I met Twizzler, Akalaka, shadallar, UCLAgal, JimDiGriz, Buddha, and even Lolli today...but docmemi's still the mystery!

Oh yeah, I did meet you... but i still don't know twizzler, UCLAgal and buddha, and Lolli, but I know dunga dunga

Med school is fun here at UCLA!

folks at ucla, i was wondering what you think of the new curriculum? will you be prepared for the step 1 exams? thanks!

bridge01 said:
folks at ucla, i was wondering what you think of the new curriculum? will you be prepared for the step 1 exams? thanks!

I have to admit I used to think I'll be fine in a ABCDEF graded school BEFORE I enter med school. But once I got here I appreciate the P/F system. Organized based curriculum makes more sense in terms of learning because the things you learn in PBL, lectures, and labs are more coherent. THe weekly self-assessments we have, people do take them seriously even though supposedly they don't count towards the grade. I'd say my classmates are mostly very hardworking, but not selfish in teaching others. There are very different personalities among people, but I find it easier to make friends here than in undergrad

bridge01 said:

yes we will be fine. its an awesome curriculum.

hey, hoping someone will be nice and answer some questions about the school.

i had my interview a few weeks back - i didnt get a chance to talk to many students and i missed the tour. so i had some lingering questions about the med school. if any of you all can give these a shot, i would appreciate it! thanks.

1. how is the clinical training at ucla? are the students more hands-on?
2. how would you rate the mentoring/advising relationship between students and faculty? (one student told me there's not much in the way of advising. is that true?)
3. what's the anatomy course like? how many students in a group? is it all dissection? do they use prosection as well?
4. how do the clinical colleges/groupings in 4th year run?

Status
Not open for further replies.