UCLA Class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone here like trance or house?

Members don't see this ad.

ShockaKlan said:

Im going to see Gipsy Kings tomorrow niiiight!!!! Woo hooo!!! (Just got the tix so Im stoked!)

hey guys do you know the details on foundations week????

i know it's coming up pretty soon and i still haven't gotten my UCLA welcome packet :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
ShockaKlan said:
Absolutely. Are you from LA? I'd love to check out the scene. I'm way too Bay Area-centric.

MDhopeful023 said:
hey guys do you know the details on foundations week????

i know it's coming up pretty soon and i still haven't gotten my UCLA welcome packet :eek:

You mean the Prologue to Medicine. It starts 7/31. It's just to get a feel for the classes and the weekly schedule. You attend classes 8 to 3:30 and they have introductory lectures. The letter they send says non-traditional students would find it most useful ie people with limited background in mo-bio methods, lab experience, and those who haven't taken classes in a long time.

Anyone applied finaid months ago but still has not gotten the Financial Aid Notice in writing? I still haven't gotten mine either. I hope it didn't get lost in the mail.

hey wookey... they told me that finaid stuff will be sorted out during oreintation...

Wookey said:
Anyone applied finaid months ago but still has not gotten the Financial Aid Notice in writing? I still haven't gotten mine either. I hope it didn't get lost in the mail.

Hi Wookey! I spoke with the FinAid office on Friday and they're in the middle of mailing out the award letters. If you want to see what it is, you can log into your URSA account. I believe what you get in the mail is a replica of what's shown on URSA. I haven't received my FAN yet either so don't worry. I'm hoping we'll get it this week. :)

Thanks guys! That's one less thing to worry about. It's been hectic trying to get everything together before the move. I hope it went or will go ok for you guys. I had an idea for making the Weyburn bedroom a little bigger. I'm gonna try to put a dresser and a tv in the closet and make some use out of that extra space in the bathroom by putting a clothes rack in there. Hopefully it won't look lame but at least that bathroom space won't go to waste.

1. Kathy aka. DrBorisCA - From L.A., Undergrad UCLA
2. Rosemary aka. rosiemary - Pico Rivera, CA. Undergrad Stanford University
3. Andrew aka. MrAndrew47 - France/Kobe, Japan/Orange County, CA - Undergrad @ UCI!
4. G3 aka. Gee!Golly!Gosh! - From around town
5. John (Bluntman) - From OC, undergrad at UC San Diego
6. Greta aka Freewater- undergrad UC San Diego, currently living in Seattle
7. doc_doc_goose! - L.A. Undergrad in Boston
8. Jeff aka. WhiteRussian - From San Diego, undergrad at Wash U
9. dukeward - from Pasadena, Wash U undergrad
10. nocturnalraj - undergrad at UCI
11. redorkulated- From OC, 99% sure
12. mdung--San DiegO! Undergraduate @ UCSD!~
13. nycballet - undergrad at Yale ('04)
14. Danny aka Wookey - The OC, undergrad at UCI
15. Jess aka blueray83 - From Nor Cal, undergrad at Cal Poly, SLO
16. Emily (prana_md) - Oakland, ug @ Davis, post-bac @ Mills
17. Keith (Jarshaq32) - Burbank, undergrad @ Pepperdine
18. Amanda (the_chister) - Taiwan/Vancouver/Piedmont, undergrad at Princeton
19. chipan14 - Hawaii, undergrad UCLA
20. Iulia (brassai) - San Jose, CA, undergrad UCLA
21. Chris (shockaklan) - From Sun Daygo, undergrad UCSD
22. Amy (Snarfblatt) - San Francisco, undergrad U of AZ, grad UCSF
23. Steven (StevenRF) - Torrance, undergrad USC
24. Chris (slippingsloth) - Monrovia, CA undergrad UCSD
25. ucla2010-Stockton, CA, undergrad johns hopkins
26. Christine (kuisedai) - San Jose, CA, undergrad @ Berk
27. Rafee (Oscar22) - Phoenix, AZ, undergrad U of AZ
28. Mark (Baba_ghanoush) - Anaheim, CA, ug @ Berkeley, post-bac @ Mills

With the clock ticking down I thought for sure I was going to be a Trojan. Guess I was wrong. Got the call last week, I'm in!

Just wanted to give a shout out to all my future classmates on SDN and say thanks for posting so many great questions and answers. At this point, I don't know what I don't know.

Baba_ghanoush said:
With the clock ticking down I thought for sure I was going to be a Trojan. Guess I was wrong. Got the call last week, I'm in!

Just wanted to give a shout out to all my future classmates on SDN and say thanks for posting so many great questions and answers. At this point, I don't know what I don't know.

Welcome!

Also, hope you all signed up for basketball tickets. Looks like next year will be another successful one: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/news/story?id=2529652

Where my people at?

Laptop question: When is everyone getting them and what kind? I'm lost.

1. Kathy aka DrBorisCA: no clue.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my experience, I don't think we'll need laptops. For one, it's not a requirement at UCLA. Even as a computer engineering major I didn't need one. I finally got one for work. A good desktop is probably better because it's about half the price and is still faster than most laptops. Although this is still a drop in the bucket considering how much we're paying for rent :laugh:. It's really how you study. We'll be getting a lot of power points for lectures, so a laptop would be useful if you don't want to print them out. But for me, it's harder to make annotations.

But if you're going to get a laptop at a store, I'd recommend getting one at Costco. They have a 6 month return policy for computers, for most stores it's 14 days. If you're on a budget, I would avoid getting a laptop with a Celeron processor. AMD processors will give you the best bang for your buck. Since laptop hard drives are really slow, I recommend getting at least 512mb of memory, 1 gig is great. 6-cell batteries will only give you about 2 hrs. Unfortunately most in store laptops usually have 6 cell batteries. You really have to read the specs to notice this; it probably won't be in their ad. It's worth it to get a 9 cell or more if you can so you can pretty much use it the whole day without carrying an adapter around.

Hi Everyone!

Stoked to be moving in on the 1st! Anyone wana hang afterwards, I'm totally down. I'll be in palm court #309. Look forward to meeting you guys.

Laptop question:

2. Andrew: Sony Viao SZ series, 13.1" ultraportable, 3.7lbs, dual core, great battery life (supposedly 4-6hrs, I've gotten 4hrs.). Just got it. Highly Recommended.

What's up Mr. Andrew? I'm moving into Palm Court #200 on the 1st. See you for sure in an elevator and maybe for a dink afterward. Anyone else in?

MrAndrew47 said:
Hi Everyone!

Stoked to be moving in on the 1st! Anyone wana hang afterwards, I’m totally down. I'll be in palm court #309. Look forward to meeting you guys.

Laptop question:

2. Andrew: Sony Viao SZ series, 13.1" ultraportable, 3.7lbs, dual core, great battery life (supposedly 4-6hrs, I’ve gotten 4hrs.). Just got it. Highly Recommended.
3. Mark: seeing if I can get along with my old laptop, only 850mhz

Baba_ghanoush said:
What's up Mr. Andrew? I'm moving into Palm Court #200 on the 1st. See you for sure in an elevator and maybe for a dink afterward. Anyone else in?

I'm down, i'll see you there!

Andrew

As I was perusing last years Class of 2009 thread I read somewhere that there are no built-in ceiling lights in the apts at Weyburn. True?

DrBorisCA said:
As I was perusing last years Class of 2009 thread I read somewhere that there are no built-in ceiling lights in the apts at Weyburn. True?

Yeah, unfortunately, that is true. There's a ceiling light in the kitchen and another one in the bathroom, but the bedroom/living room areas have no ceiling lights. Lamps are essential.

2. Andrew: Sony Viao SZ series, 13.1" ultraportable, 3.7lbs, dual core
3. Mark: seeing if I can get along with my old laptop, only 850mhz
4: Richard: Conflicted on which size laptop: Desktop replacement behemoth vs. Thin and light.

I'm with you DrBoris, I don't know what to pick. a laptop fits my nomadic lifestyle perfectly, and my archaic desktop just takes too much space in the apartment. I want my laptop to do everything, but the ones that fit my specs end up being 10 pound monsters that have short battery life. The tiny light laptops always give up something I want. I'm trying to find a good balance.

On a side note does anybody know the details of orientation week? I know it starts on the 7th and we have an optional financial aid session at noon but thats about it. Where and when do we show up that morning and whats the schedule look like?

Hi everyone. :oops: I'm a little late jumping on the bandwagon, but i'm excited to meet everyone for orientation next week. I'm staying in Olive Court in Weyburn. Has anyone moved into their place yet?

Oscar22 said:
1. Kathy aka. DrBorisCA - From L.A., Undergrad UCLA
2. Rosemary aka. rosiemary - Pico Rivera, CA. Undergrad Stanford University
3. Andrew aka. MrAndrew47 - France/Kobe, Japan/Orange County, CA - Undergrad @ UCI!
4. G3 aka. Gee!Golly!Gosh! - From around town
5. John (Bluntman) - From OC, undergrad at UC San Diego
6. Greta aka Freewater- undergrad UC San Diego, currently living in Seattle
7. doc_doc_goose! - L.A. Undergrad in Boston
8. Jeff aka. WhiteRussian - From San Diego, undergrad at Wash U
9. dukeward - from Pasadena, Wash U undergrad
10. nocturnalraj - undergrad at UCI
11. redorkulated- From OC, 99% sure
12. mdung--San DiegO! Undergraduate @ UCSD!~
13. nycballet - undergrad at Yale ('04)
14. Danny aka Wookey - The OC, undergrad at UCI
15. Jess aka blueray83 - From Nor Cal, undergrad at Cal Poly, SLO
16. Emily (prana_md) - Oakland, ug @ Davis, post-bac @ Mills
17. Keith (Jarshaq32) - Burbank, undergrad @ Pepperdine
18. Amanda (the_chister) - Taiwan/Vancouver/Piedmont, undergrad at Princeton
19. chipan14 - Hawaii, undergrad UCLA
20. Iulia (brassai) - San Jose, CA, undergrad UCLA
21. Chris (shockaklan) - From Sun Daygo, undergrad UCSD
22. Amy (Snarfblatt) - San Francisco, undergrad U of AZ, grad UCSF
23. Steven (StevenRF) - Torrance, undergrad USC
24. Chris (slippingsloth) - Monrovia, CA undergrad UCSD
25. ucla2010-Stockton, CA, undergrad johns hopkins
26. Christine (kuisedai) - San Jose, CA, undergrad @ Berk
27. Rafee (Oscar22) - Phoenix, AZ, undergrad U of AZ[/QUOTE]
28. Chantel (Telly10) - Bakersfield, CA, undergrad Stanford

scratch my last post I found the info about orientation schedule and details on the accepted students site. See you guys there!

Wee! Just moved into my place at weyburn, palm court. Anyone else just move in? Weyburn is beautiful!

If anyone is around, we should do stuff this week.

Andrew

Hey... I'm kinda new to this SDN thing, but I thought I'd say hello! I'm moving into Weyburn Terrace this Friday. I definitely think we should all plan some Class of 2010 outings at night during orientation since it's the last week before things get more intense! What do you say???

Anyone know where we can get the loan application for a private loan to cover the expected family contribution? Do we pick whatever lender or are there special ones for med students?

BTW, some stuff on the orientation week is up. Q's looks fun...

Hey guys! Just moved into Aloe Court and getting settled in, we should try to arrange something for this coming weekend.

100%Bruin said:
Hey... I'm kinda new to this SDN thing, but I thought I'd say hello! I'm moving into Weyburn Terrace this Friday. I definitely think we should all plan some Class of 2010 outings at night during orientation since it's the last week before things get more intense! What do you say???
Yoo!

I am definitely down for that! What do you say Sat night going out somewhere? And then the next week all the activities are pretty early so we can go out after them too!!! We know a good number of people already and the Drew kids area already started so it should be a lot of fun!

Call me at 858-699-2323

John

Aww, Im going to miss out...

I wont be back in LA till next Sunday evening (the day before orientation starts)... I am heading out to Portland tmr afternoon for water rafting--kind of a short vacation before med school starts...

I just moved into Cypress Court the last few days. Anyone else by there??

Let's all meet up and go play during orientation week!! =P

I have yet to meet anyone with the recent move-in and what not =/

I'm so down. I'll call you when I get settled on Friday or Sat. PS nice mass email last night. It's very reassuring that fellow med students still want to try and balance their lives by throwing in a bit of fun! :)

Bluntman said:
Yoo!

I am definitely down for that! What do you say Sat night going out somewhere? And then the next week all the activities are pretty early so we can go out after them too!!! We know a good number of people already and the Drew kids area already started so it should be a lot of fun!

Call me at 858-699-2323

John

You won't miss out! The fun begins Orientation week with some night adventures in LA! I can't wait to meet you all!

mdung said:
Aww, Im going to miss out...

I wont be back in LA till next Sunday evening (the day before orientation starts)... I am heading out to Portland tmr afternoon for water rafting--kind of a short vacation before med school starts...

I just moved into Cypress Court the last few days. Anyone else by there??

Let's all meet up and go play during orientation week!! =P

I have yet to meet anyone with the recent move-in and what not =/

Sounds great! I'm moving into Weyburn (Olive Court) this Saturday. We should start an e-mail chain for those of us who want to hang out this weekend. My e-mail address is [email protected]

100%Bruin said:

Another question...

OK, folks. This question is on the verge of totally absurd but when Admissions said "professional" dress, do they mean no jeans??? Or do they mean just put yourself together appropriately so that you don't appear to have just gotten out of bed and don't wear ridiculously revealing clothing?

Can someone share their interpretation with me? Thanks.

100%Bruin said:
Another question...

OK, folks. This question is on the verge of totally absurd but when Admissions said "professional" dress, do they mean no jeans??? Or do they mean just put yourself together appropriately so that you don't appear to have just gotten out of bed and don't wear ridiculously revealing clothing?

Can someone share their interpretation with me? Thanks.

I asked... here their answer:
"For class wearing anything other than shorts, jeans-etc is fine. The School
of Medicine is inside of the Hospital so unlike an undergraduate campus
patients can see our students so we just want to make sure that you look
like future physicians. Casual skirts, khakis, sandals-etc should be fine.
Basically no midriffs-etc is a good idea."

mdung said:

For orientation week, does same apply? I wasnt sure if they were implying professional dress for the week of 8-7? ie. slacks/skirt for femmes? Or just normal school clothes?

Kinda half moved in to Cypress but can't wait to see everysone soon!!!!!

DrBorisCA said:
For orientation week, does same apply? I wasnt sure if they were implying professional dress for the week of 8-7? ie. slacks/skirt for femmes? Or just normal school clothes?

Kinda half moved in to Cypress but can't wait to see everysone soon!!!!!

The answer I posted above was referring to what to wear to orientation classes.

mdung said:
The answer I posted above was referring to what to wear to orientation classes.
Ooops! Missed that, my bad! :idea:

Wow... no jeans to class? What a change from undergrad when people just wore pajamas. This is good though... Time to grow up and dress the part!

Thank you so much for taking the time to type that out. I really appreciate it.

PS to all of you... I move into Palm Court, #325. Come stop by anytime Fri-Sunday to introduce yourself! Very exciting...

mdung said:

100%Bruin said:
Wow... no jeans to class? What a change from undergrad when people just wore pajamas. This is good though... Time to grow up and dress the part!

Thank you so much for taking the time to type that out. I really appreciate it.

PS to all of you... I move into Palm Court, #325. Come stop by anytime Fri-Sunday to introduce yourself! Very exciting...

Weird. I wear jeans to class everyday. Maybe there's special attire for orientation (there wasn't last year), but unless people are scheduled to interview in Doctoring, they dress casually --- no different than in undergrad.

On the orientation schedule, registration Monday morning is at the Breezeway. It's not on the health sciences map. Anyone know if this is possibly the same place as registration for Recruitment day?

Wookey said:
On the orientation schedule, registration Monday morning is at the Breezeway. It's not on the health sciences map. Anyone know if this is possibly the same place as registration for Recruitment day?

The breezeway was by the mailboxes where we had the raffle on recruitment day. Also by Financial Aid Office and Admissions Office. :)

Don't know about were recruitment day was held but the breezeway should be the area on the outside of the double doors right outside the entrance (the glass doors that take you outside in front of the admissions office.)
Wookey said:

Thanks guys. I remember it now. So we're supposed to be in professional attire for the whole week :eek:

Yes, but professional doesn't mean get your black slacks and collared shirt on haha... That's why I was asking cuz I don't want to be in heels and some ridiculous outfit when everyone else is wearing more casual things. Like the above post mentioned: No jeans or shorts or revealing/sloppy clothing. But nothing like interview attire. We can all manage that!

But does anyone know.... can we wear jeans to class after orientation??? I guess we'll find that out next week, huh?

Wookey said:
Thanks guys. I remember it now. So we're supposed to be in professional attire for the whole week :eek:

100%Bruin said:
But does anyone know.... can we wear jeans to class after orientation???

Absolutely. :thumbup:

I just called student affairs and specifically asked if jeans were ok for orientation week...they said that was fine. So I'm wearing jeans, just not ones with holes in them or frayed hems.
Yay for jeans!!!

Thanks, guys! So excited to meet everyone. :)

Freewater said:
I just called student affairs and specifically asked if jeans were ok for orientation week...they said that was fine. So I'm wearing jeans, just not ones with holes in them or frayed hems.
Yay for jeans!!!

Spread the word. Shhh. Jeans controversial. Story at 11.