UCLA and Berkeley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Misz DV!

the rest of this post was just silly. good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
just curious if there is anyone else around that has applied to the Berkeley DrPH progam? Still no admissions news - they really like to take their time...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry citrusguy... just take your anger out on the Budget Banana over here::diebanana:

Got my decision from UCLA last night! check your emails!

if only i hadn't been checking my e-mail every 15 minutes already... haha. Congrats aduff1!

And sorry to hear about UW citrusguy. Hang in there! Looks like you've got a decent list to choose from, anyhue. ;)

@misz DV: I vacillate, haha, but Berkeley is consistently at the top for me. Bay area would be sooo nice... and my dad's a Stanford grad, so I'd love to stick it to him. :laugh:

By the way, has anybody heard from UCLA regarding the status of their transcripts? They said they would notify us in February, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

I just received the below email from UCLA.

Do any of you have experience with the Department of Environmental Health Sciences ? I know with other schools you can switch concentrations once you are in the program. If I was accepted to the Department of Environmental Health Sciences, could I switch back to Community Health Sciences later down the road?

Any thoughts, opinions and/or recommendations?

Dear

Thank you so much for your application to the UCLA - School of Public Health. We appreciate your interest and desire in our programs.

This year we have been overwhelmed with amazing candidates across each of the five departments. It is our challenge to make sure to select the most bright and outstanding amongst the entire applicant pool and to make sure the most appropriate fit is obtained for the applicant and the various departments within the School. Based on your experience, scholarship and statement of purpose, and by the recommendation of Department of Community Health I would like to forward your application to the Department of Environmental Health Sciences for review.

Please let <Contact> know if you would like your file to be reviewed by EHS.

Do any of you have experience with the Department of Environmental Health Sciences ? I know with other schools you can switch concentrations once you are in the program. If I was accepted to the Department of Environmental Health Sciences, could I switch back to Community Health Sciences later down the road?

historically it hasn't been that hard to switch from dept to dept, although I hear they're tightening up. These are EXTREMELY different programs. However and I would go onto the website and exam the required classes for both. EHS requires a lot of science-based classes (and more biostats) whereas CHS is really focused on health promotion & education. The main class series for CHS involves researching, planning, and evaluating an intervention (group work for 2 quarters).

I'm currently an Epi student at UCLA (looking up info for a friend who didn't want to get sucked into the student doctor vortex!).

i just got that same email today from UCLA. Is this a good sign or a bad sign? I also was wondering how hard it would be to switch over because I really want to go to UCLA, but I want to study public health. Any input is appreciated! thanks as always guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA is making me worried too. I haven't gotten any emails from them, but I noticed in SOPHAS, under School Decisions, their decision date for me is listed as 11/2/09. I submitted my app 2 weeks before that. It doesn't say whether I was accepted or rejected.

Did anybody notice the decision date change in SOPHAS?

Does that mean they only took 2 weeks to make a decision on me? I would hate to think that they decided to look at me as an automatic fail. :scared:

UCLA is making me worried too. I haven't gotten any emails from them, but I noticed in SOPHAS, under School Decisions, their decision date for me is listed as 11/2/09. I submitted my app 2 weeks before that. It doesn't say whether I was accepted or rejected.

Did anybody notice the decision date change in SOPHAS?

Does that mean they only took 2 weeks to make a decision on me? I would hate to think that they decided to look at me as an automatic fail. :scared:

no worries. I think the decision date is when you decided to designate that school.

historically it hasn't been that hard to switch from dept to dept, although I hear they're tightening up. These are EXTREMELY different programs. However and I would go onto the website and exam the required classes for both. EHS requires a lot of science-based classes (and more biostats) whereas CHS is really focused on health promotion & education. The main class series for CHS involves researching, planning, and evaluating an intervention (group work for 2 quarters).

I'm currently an Epi student at UCLA (looking up info for a friend who didn't want to get sucked into the student doctor vortex!).

Thanks for your post. I am still torn on what to do. I am really not that interested in EHS. UCLA was my top choice, but I am thinking this might mean I am heading to BU this Fall.

The student doctor vortex is so addicting, but I couldn't imagine going through this process without it!

Dear

Thank you so much for your application to the UCLA - School of Public Health. We appreciate your interest and desire in our programs.

This year we have been overwhelmed with amazing candidates across each of the five departments. It is our challenge to make sure to select the most bright and outstanding amongst the entire applicant pool and to make sure the most appropriate fit is obtained for the applicant and the various departments within the School. Based on your experience, scholarship and statement of purpose, and by the recommendation of Department of Community Health I would like to forward your application to the Department of Environmental Health Sciences for review.

Please let <Contact> know if you would like your file to be reviewed by EHS.

I got the same email from UCLA about wanting to forward my app to EHS from community health - but I didn't apply to community health, nor do I have a background that is even remotely related to environmental health. I'm taking this to be a bad sign and I kinda have the feeling that they didn't even read my app.

I got the same email from UCLA about wanting to forward my app to EHS from community health - but I didn't apply to community health, nor do I have a background that is even remotely related to environmental health. I'm taking this to be a bad sign and I kinda have the feeling that they didn't even read my app.

Really? That's horrible. Did you reply mentioning that you did not apply to CHS? I feel like they are just trying to recruit to EHS. If we reply that we are not interested in EHS, does that mean we've been rejected for our desired concentration? The email is extremely vague.

I replied asking a few questions about EHS, but I really have no interest in this concentration. Please let me know what you decide to do and if you hear back!

Does anybody know if UCLA gets annoyed if you call to check you application status? I am concerned about my GRE scores because I took it after I submitted my application, so they may not receive it.

By the way, has anybody heard from UCLA regarding the status of their transcripts? They said they would notify us in February, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

I couldn't wait until February 1st to hear from UCLA about the status of my transcripts, I was just so excited simply to get an email from them... Incidentally, I'm still waiting :shrug: Although I applied to epi, I have heard from two people who applied (and were accepted) to CHS that they didn't even hear any word regarding the status of their transcripts. So I'm thinking if your transcripts are in and everything is good, you won't be hearing from them. And I choose to continue thinking that way ;-)

Me! Well, hopefully...

Question for those in Berkeley - have you guys gotten anything back after sending in your transcripts?

Unfortunately, I don't think I can swing it. Would love to hear about it from people who do go! Take notes!

Me! Well, hopefully...

Question for those in Berkeley - have you guys gotten anything back after sending in your transcripts?

Nope! I know I have no reason to be paranoid, but I'd still like to have the official acceptance letter, ya know?

I don't think I'll be attending visit day. Flights are >$400 and I'd have to hate it to not go. Can't imagine hating California with 2 feet of snow still on the ground. I'd like to hear about visit day from those of you that go.

Is anyone going to UCLA's Student Visit Day on Monday Feb 22? I originally planned on going but am really not sure now. Do Visit Days affect admissions in any way?

Accepted into EHS MPH at UCB!

To those of you who have been accepted to berkeley- did your initial acceptance email discuss the Visit Day? Mine didn't but I certainly want to go...

Angelic, that's fantastic; congrats!

Accepted into EHS MPH at UCB!

To those of you who have been accepted to berkeley- did your initial acceptance email discuss the Visit Day? Mine didn't but I certainly want to go...

No! I called the SPH (not my department) and got an annoyed receptionist who said not all accepted applicants are invited to visit day and you'll receive an invitation if you are. Seems strange to me.

Wow, that sounds....welcoming.

That is strange... my email didn't say anything about visit day either but I got a call a few days later from my dept and that's when I found out.

I don't have the time for a super lengthy response, but I'm an EHS student at UCLA, who applied initially as EPI. The school has been moving app's for the past few years to bolster EHS, and because people don't know what EHS really is. It's not merely the "environment" as most people consider ( i.e. trees, the forest), but rather the physicial surroundings and situations, be it natural, social, political, or man-made physical circumstances that allows illness and disease to thrive. Obesity? An EHS problem (lack of suitable parks, lack of bike lines... etc etc) Water Pollution? An EHS problem. Asthma? EHS ( air quality). Occupational medicine? An EHS problem... The field is more diverse then you can imagine, and it isn't just a bunch of people looking to save trees ( although we certainly do like our trees ;) . I'd be glad to answer any questions people have that relate to info they can't get by calling the admin people :p EHS is way more science based then CHS btw.

I'm definitely matriculating at UC Berkeley this yr - epi/biostats (11-month program) - super excited...

FYI, they have started giving out fellowship awards and grants as well. Got my notification yesterday!

Will most of you be living near Berkeley, or commuting from SF?

Has anyone who has heard back from Berkeley heard from Health Policy & Management? It seems like mostly epi people have heard so far.

Has anyone who has heard back from Berkeley heard from Health Policy & Management? It seems like mostly epi people have heard so far.

I'm epi, but I haven't heard back yet, which is making me nervous since Berkeley is my top choice...:scared:

They did send an email a while back saying that I would know sometime between 2/15 to 4/15. So I guess don't lose hope until after 4/15?

I'm epi and haven't heard back from Berkeley yet either. I believe the majority of us will hear back in March, regardless of dept. That's what admissions told me.

knitphgurl, why is it your first choice if I may ask?
It used to be my first choice, but mostly because I have a lot of friends there. :) But now I'm not so sure, plus sfo area is soooo expensive. But it's hard to decide on a school when you haven't heard back from them!

I'm waiting for Epi too!

I am glad that there are a few of us still waiting to hear!

I'm epi and haven't heard back from Berkeley yet either. I believe the majority of us will hear back in March, regardless of dept. That's what admissions told me.

knitphgurl, why is it your first choice if I may ask?
It used to be my first choice, but mostly because I have a lot of friends there. :) But now I'm not so sure, plus sfo area is soooo expensive. But it's hard to decide on a school when you haven't heard back from them!

It's my first choice for a variety of reasons.

1. I was born and raised in Cali, so it would be nice to stay in Cali and pay in-state tuition.
2. My bf is going to grad school at Stanford so I can be closer to him.
3. It's a top 8 school, so it can't be too bad.

What is your first choice?

Finally got the e-mail inviting me to Berkeley's visit day. I guess they don't have a personal vendetta against me after all:p

Is anyone going? Do you think it's worth the $$?

I just got an e-mail from Berkeley about Visiting Day on Mon March 8th... Seems pretty last minute to me, especially since it sounds like a lot of people haven't heard back yet. I'll probably end up going to the Visit Day because I'm local (San Francisco), so no travel expenses, even though I'll need to take the day off work.

As a side note, to anyone who's considering attending UCB, I'd recommend living in Berkeley rather than San Francisco... The rent is MUCH more reasonable, and the commute isn't really worth it (BART is about $8 round trip now). There's a lot of fun stuff that happens in the East Bay, so it's more worthwhile to live on that side and then just come into San Francisco for special weekend events.

Accepted into the UC Berkeley DrPH program via email today!

WOOOOOO! Congrats to all the other future UC students and best of luck to those still waiting for notice!:highfive:

Finally got the e-mail inviting me to Berkeley's visit day. I guess they don't have a personal vendetta against me after all:p

Is anyone going? Do you think it's worth the $$?

I'll be there on the 8th as well as the 7th for the orientations. Epi department for the 8th!

I just got an e-mail from Berkeley about Visiting Day on Mon March 8th... Seems pretty last minute to me, especially since it sounds like a lot of people haven't heard back yet. I'll probably end up going to the Visit Day because I'm local (San Francisco), so no travel expenses, even though I'll need to take the day off work.

As a side note, to anyone who's considering attending UCB, I'd recommend living in Berkeley rather than San Francisco... The rent is MUCH more reasonable, and the commute isn't really worth it (BART is about $8 round trip now). There's a lot of fun stuff that happens in the East Bay, so it's more worthwhile to live on that side and then just come into San Francisco for special weekend events.

Are they only sending Visit Day emails to people who have been accepted?

Are they only sending Visit Day emails to people who have been accepted?

I was accepted (Epi/Biostats-2year) a couple weeks ago now and just got the e-mail about visit day this morning. It seems as though both the acceptances and the visit day info letters are going out in different batches, for whatever reason.

So I emailed the Epi dept at Berkeley today and just found out I've been rejected :( Those who are still waiting should try emailing the dept.

So I emailed the Epi dept at Berkeley today and just found out I've been rejected :( Those who are still waiting should try emailing the dept.

Aww, I'm sorry. :-( Here's hoping other schools will want you!

Right now, it's looking like Emory will be my top choice too (out of accepted schools). Now I'm just waiting on Berkeley, UCLA, and SDSU. I got into Columbia 2 days ago, and Arizona yesterday. Columbia sounds attractive, but it's so expensive! What other schools were you accepted to?