UCLA and Berkeley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhycortex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we safe to assume that they will notify us if we're missing any documents?

Members don't see this ad.

yea I think they said they'd let us know in February if they're missing documents

Ughh..the waiting is killing me..BERK UCLA please send out decisions soooN!

Members don't see this ad :)
They usually send them out in late march, right?

Yea, I wouldn't hold your breath... the UCs are notoriously slow with admissions...

Are we safe to assume that they will notify us if we're missing any documents?

Yep. I just got an email from an admissions officer at UCLA saying that my application has been forwarded to the department I applied to, but that my GRE scores weren't received (Damn you, ETS!! I sent those in October!)... The email also said that they'll contact applicants about the status of transcripts in February.

Yep. I just got an email from an admissions officer at UCLA saying that my application has been forwarded to the department I applied to, but that my GRE scores weren't received (Damn you, ETS!! I sent those in October!)... The email also said that they'll contact applicants about the status of transcripts in February.

That's lame! Don't the UCs accept GRE scores reported from SOPHAS anyway though? The score reporting error won't hurt your chances, will it?

You know, I logged onto the UCLA Grad App to check my status? (This is separate from SOPHAS.) And it says "No" for receiving GRE scores, transcripts, etc. It kinda scares me, but I wonder if it's "No" because they have all that in SOPHAS? I submitted my app in mid October too.

Well, I'm worried enough to email UCLA. I'll let you guys know when they reply.

I wouldn't stress. This is what my confirmation email said...

Please note: You will receive an email in February regarding the receipt of your transcripts.
THE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH DOES NOT UPDATE THE CHECKLIST ON GDNET.UCLA.EDU WEBSITE.

I wouldn't stress. This is what my confirmation email said...

Please note: You will receive an email in February regarding the receipt of your transcripts.
THE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH DOES NOT UPDATE THE CHECKLIST ON GDNET.UCLA.EDU WEBSITE.

Yeah, I got that email a while back too. But I really really really really want to stay in California so I'm going to do my best to be on top of everything. :D

Did anybody apply to SDSU? I wonder when they get back to people...

I applied to SDSU too. I emailed the Admission's contact back in early November and she confirmed receipt of my SOPHAS application.

The application deadline is not until tomorrow - Jan. 15th. I don't imagine we will be hearing back until at least February.

Members don't see this ad :)
do u have the email of the contact for sdsu? Everytime I call, I can never get a hold of anyone!

Thanks!

yea i applied to SDSU but i haven't heard anything yet either. UC's are lame about this stuff.

I received an email from UCLA on Friday indicating that they have received both my completed SOPHAS and grad app, and that it was forwarded for review...

Don't know if it will be the same this year, but at least for Epi programs, last year I applied to UCB who responded in early March. UCLA seemed quite disorganized and slow and I heard from them in early April. SDSU was even slower and I heard from them in mid-April. Seems California schools are lazy :p

Don't know if it will be the same this year, but at least for Epi programs, last year I applied to UCB who responded in early March. UCLA seemed quite disorganized and slow and I heard from them in early April. SDSU was even slower and I heard from them in mid-April. Seems California schools are lazy :p

So where did you end up going? And what is your concentration? I applied to all three and am hoping to stay in Cali, but this wait is pretty agonizing. I looked at last year's forums and noticed a person didn't get accepted to UCLA until 6/2!!! That's crazy!

I wonder if the UCs will cut down on admission rates with all the budget problems that the state is having...

Did anyone else receive this email from Liz Reid saying they did not receive their GRE scores?? I sent min on the 29th of October last yr. when i took my gre.
I wonder whats going on. It isnt showing up on my SOPHAS application. Did anyone get this email? If you did, what dod you do to rectify it?
Thanks.

Did anyone else receive this email from Liz Reid saying they did not receive their GRE scores?? I sent min on the 29th of October last yr. when i took my gre.
I wonder whats going on. It isnt showing up on my SOPHAS application. Did anyone get this email? If you did, what dod you do to rectify it?
Thanks.

Yes, I did receive this email, but it reminded me that I had actually forgotten to submit my GRE score to Berkeley. So my case is different from yours.

If it isn't showing up on SOPHAS at all, that's a problem. I would definitely call SOPHAS asap. I think there are cases where people who get Liz's email still have it shown up under SOPHAS, in this case SOPHAS simply hasn't forwarded the score to the school yet. Call SOPHAS to figure out what's going on.

Thanks.

When I found out my GREs apparently hadn't been received, I replied to the email, stating when I had the scores sent. I didn't hear back within a few days, so I called the lady and she looked up my application and saw that, indeed as I had expected, my GRE scores were there!

I just got an email from Berkeley that said my app is now under review, and that I'll know between 2/15 to 4/15. Over 1300 people applied this year!

*fingers crossed*

Got the same email... 1300!! Eeek gad! And with funding cuts? Come on Cal!+pity+ <--- that's for me.

I just got an email from Berkeley that said my app is now under review, and that I'll know between 2/15 to 4/15. Over 1300 people applied this year!

*fingers crossed*
:confused: I can't find this "check your status" box that they told us.....

:confused: I can't find this "check your status" box that they told us.....

What they mean is that big box of info on the right hand side in SOPHAS. The one where it lists scores received, transcripts received, school designations, etc.

Decisions are starting... one acceptance so far. Congrats deem!:cool:

I saw a few other UCLA acceptances on Grad Cafe (they were biostats though).

HA...pre-empted

Thanks a lot Werd!

But yea, got the OK from Community Health Sciences @ UCLA this morning.

(Apparently the e-mail came in at like almost midnight pacific time. Late night for admissions?)

I'm getting antsy waiting for those 3 schools too. UCLA still hasn't emailed me about transcripts yet. So which school did you end up going to (I'm assuming you're a first-year MPH student)?

HA...pre-empted

Thanks a lot Werd!

But yea, got the OK from Community Health Sciences @ UCLA this morning.

(Apparently the e-mail came in at like almost midnight pacific time. Late night for admissions?)

I forgot to ask...did UCLA ever email you about the status of your transcripts?

I got an email today from Berkeley saying that they're recommending me for admission but that the final decision is up to the University so I think I got in? (For epi)

Congrats! I'm so jealous. :)

That is going to make waiting so much worse now........ :p

I got an email today from Berkeley saying that they're recommending me for admission but that the final decision is up to the University so I think I got in? (For epi)

Wow, congrats! I'm jealous too especially since I also applied for Epi. Is Berkeley your top choice?

In at Berkeley! Top choice so I'm definitely going:) Good luck to everyone else.

Wow, congrats! I'm jealous too especially since I also applied for Epi. Is Berkeley your top choice?

it's not my top choice but definitely one of them. right now of the schools that i've gotten into it's berkeley and emory, but i'm still waiting for UW to release decisions. i honestly didn't think i was going to get into berkeley because of all the high averages in the epi/biostats department (I was definitely WAY below) so there's hope for everyone!

it's not my top choice but definitely one of them. right now of the schools that i've gotten into it's berkeley and emory, but i'm still waiting for UW to release decisions. i honestly didn't think i was going to get into berkeley because of all the high averages in the epi/biostats department (I was definitely WAY below) so there's hope for everyone!

What were your stats again? I'm worried since my stats are below average too, and I didn't come from a hard science major.

Btw, was your concentration Epidemiology/Biostatistics (since I think Berkeley has 2 different epi concentrations)?

Last edited:
Hi all.

I just got an email from Berkeley today, also saying that they're "recommending me for admission" as soon as I send another set of official transcripts.

Applied to Epi
Sophas sent on 12/29

What were your stats again? I'm worried since my stats are below average too, and I didn't come from a hard science major.

Btw, was your concentration Epidemiology/Biostatistics (since I think Berkeley has 2 different epi concentrations)?

I had a 3.4 undergrad GPA (Bio/Poli Sci) from UCLA and a 1300 (720Q/580V/4.5AWA). Worked in research in pathology, field biology, conservation, volunteered and running hospital volunteer organization for 4 years etc. If you want more in depth, you can PM me.

My concentration was Epi/Biostats so I think it's different from what you applied with. Let me know if you need more info!

Congrats! (Oh god, I'm so anxious now.) What is your concentration, and how did they inform you?

MPH Infectious Diseases. I got an e-mail saying I've been recommended for admission. Does anyone know when their visit day is?

MPH Infectious Diseases. I got an e-mail saying I've been recommended for admission. Does anyone know when their visit day is?

The visit day is March 7th and 8th, if I remember correctly. Congrats to the acceptance! I also got into the MPH Infectious Diseases program! I'm very excited.

Did you get an e-mail about the visit day? So far I've only gotten the admissions e-mail. Then again, I still haven't sent my transcripts so I guess it's not "official" yet. Congrats, misz DV! Do you think you're going to choose Berkeley?

Last edited:
Congrats ebolazaire, KM2012, citrus, and misz DV!

Would you mind sharing around what time of day did these e-mails come? I figure if there's a set-ish time at which they send these things out, I'll be better able to keep myself from clicking "refresh" on my inbox every 4.367 minutes. haha

i found out at like 12:30ish in the afternoon.
anyone know when UW found out their stuff?

@werd814 I actually got a call the week before the email was sent out. As for the email, I got it around noon the following week.

@EbolaZaire Yes, I got the email for visiting day. I spoke to someone from the school and she sent it to me right away after I asked her questions about the program and all of that. Berkeley's my top choice - go Cal! :)

@werd814 I actually got a call the week before the email was sent out. As for the email, I got it around noon the following week.

@EbolaZaire Yes, I got the email for visiting day. I spoke to someone from the school and she sent it to me right away after I asked her questions about the program and all of that. Berkeley's my top choice - go Cal! :)

Can you give me the exact dates for Cal's visitor's day? Is it a school-wide or dept thing?