UCC vs Trinity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rengawa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could provide me some feedback about both Trinity College and UCC in Ireland? I've been accepted to both but I'd like to know the advantages and disadvantages of each program. I think Trinity's program may be more intense but is it more recognized than UCC's?

I'd appreciate hearing anything and everything?

Members don't see this ad.

The hard part about answering these kinds of questions is that no one, or very few people, would have experience with both. If you go to Trinity, you have no idea how things are run in Cork, and vice versa. A lot of people base where to study on the hospitals attached to the university, and since Dublin is a larger city, you'd assume that the hospitals are larger and offer more opportunity to view a more diverse population. But then again, people seem happy in Cork, and UCC would be just as well known because it used to have a connection with AUC (I think).

I don't know too much about UCC; I have a friend over there in second year and he is having fun. However, in my humble opinion, I would go to Trinity. Here's a few reasons: the University is world reknowned and that name recognition will help in the future during your travels and when you apply to residency; secondly, five years is a long time, you need to occupy your time when your not in school and you have quite a bit of free time here, being in Dublin is good for this; lastly, may not seem this way now, but when you're here long enough, you look forward to leaving for vacations, to visit home, and being a 20 minute bus ride away from the international airport and a 55 minute flight away from London is salvation even, if you don't go, just knowing helps. Just a couple of pragmatic reasons to help you in your decision. Hope this helps.

leorl said:
The hard part about answering these kinds of questions is that no one, or very few people, would have experience with both. If you go to Trinity, you have no idea how things are run in Cork, and vice versa. A lot of people base where to study on the hospitals attached to the university, and since Dublin is a larger city, you'd assume that the hospitals are larger and offer more opportunity to view a more diverse population. But then again, people seem happy in Cork, and UCC would be just as well known because it used to have a connection with AUC (I think).

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know too much about UCC; I have a friend over there in second year and he is having fun. However, in my humble opinion, I would go to Trinity. Here's a few reasons: the University is world reknowned and that name recognition will help in the future during your travels and when you apply to residency; secondly, five years is a long time, you need to occupy your time when your not in school and you have quite a bit of free time here, being in Dublin is good for this; lastly, may not seem this way now, but when you're here long enough, you look forward to leaving for vacations, to visit home, and being a 20 minute bus ride away from the international airport and a 55 minute flight away from London is salvation even, if you don't go, just knowing helps. Just a couple of pragmatic reasons to help you in your decision. Hope this helps.

Cork has an international airport, is around an hours flight time from London and it is only 15 minutes from UCC. OK, it doesn't fly to America yet but it seems you're making out that Cork doesn't have an airport. It also flies to most major British cities, France and various holiday destinations.

Plus, there is a load of stuff to do in Cork and the surrounding counties. I find dublin overpriced, unfriendly and inferior to most major European cities. Best city in Ireland though is Galway. Great atmosphere and nightlife!

Does anyone know why Galway does not participate in the Atlantic Bridge Program?

Cork's cheaper. I lived and worked in Dublin and now go to school and work in Cork. I prefer Cork but I like smaller "big" cities. I also used to live down town in Dublin and found it hard to get around.

Cork is much smaller but still feels like a city. It's a good size for me. School and town are both close to where I live and the university hospital is close as well.

Seems like most people who are here had to make a Trinity vs. UCC choice. It's tough but I don't think you can go wrong. Trinity is a well known school but overseas most people know them as an art's college I thought. Doctors back at home seemed to talk about UCC as the more well known med school. That was one of the factors that helped make my decision.

You can't go wrong though! Good luck with whatever you decide.