UCC vs other three

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just accepted to UCC with nine days to decide. Waitlisted at Flinders in Oz and interview pending for ANU in Oz. I've read tons about the big three (UCD, RCSI, Trinity) in these threads but much less about UCC. Planning to return to Canada or US for FM residency.

Wondering about UCC's reputation, style, curriculum etc. Is it considered in Canada and the US in the same light as the other three Irish schools? I fully understand all the general hurdles that IMGs face and know the well-established path for returning IMGs from UCD, RCSI, Trinity but does this all extend directly to Cork as well?

One more question. (This is a doozy). My wife is due in January with our second child. Is there any reason to suspect that we might face unforseen challenges (visa, government, insurance, access to medical care) if we all went now and had the baby there?

Members don't see this ad.

Unch, just read your post in the Oz forum. I was in a similar situation, was debating between Trinity or Univ. of melbourne and at the end of the day, couldn't wait around for Melbourne (their direct entrant programme was very new at that stage and obviously hadn't had some of the bugs worked out yet). Made the right decision anyway, although either place would have been fun!

The Irish schools are all pretty much of the same standard. The other three would have more name-recognition in the US, but that doesn't affect UCC negatively, as all the Irish schools are pretty highly regarded. Do a thread search for UCC's curriculum, it was discussed recently. All FMG issues would affect going to UCC as well, but it would be no harder at UCC than any of the other irish schools.

I don't think having the baby here would be a problem, if you come over with insurance. You can buy insurance here but there would be a waiting period with regards to maternity cover so you're better off arriving with some insurance from home so that at least it's covered, even if you have to pay more for international coverage. I think as it stands now, a baby born here would have Irish citizenship. With regards to medical care, you wouldn't receive poorer treatment, if that's what you mean. But I should warn you and say that the maternity hospitals in this country aren't all that great - they get the job done but there's a bit more luxury in the US hospitals :).

leorl said:
Unch, just read your post in the Oz forum. I was in a similar situation, was debating between Trinity or Univ. of melbourne and at the end of the day, couldn't wait around for Melbourne (their direct entrant programme was very new at that stage and obviously hadn't had some of the bugs worked out yet). Made the right decision anyway, although either place would have been fun!

The Irish schools are all pretty much of the same standard. The other three would have more name-recognition in the US, but that doesn't affect UCC negatively, as all the Irish schools are pretty highly regarded. Do a thread search for UCC's curriculum, it was discussed recently. All FMG issues would affect going to UCC as well, but it would be no harder at UCC than any of the other irish schools.

I don't think having the baby here would be a problem, if you come over with insurance. You can buy insurance here but there would be a waiting period with regards to maternity cover so you're better off arriving with some insurance from home so that at least it's covered, even if you have to pay more for international coverage. I think as it stands now, a baby born here would have Irish citizenship. With regards to medical care, you wouldn't receive poorer treatment, if that's what you mean. But I should warn you and say that the maternity hospitals in this country aren't all that great - they get the job done but there's a bit more luxury in the US hospitals :).
I go to UCC so I might be biased. But I lived in Dublin beside Trinity for a year and spent a tonne of time there.

If I had to do it all again I'd still go to UCC with Trinity and UCD being close second choices.

If you 100% want to go back to Canada then it's probably safer to stay in Canada and just keep applying to a Canadian school. Everyone with even reasonable stats gets in sooner or later.

Members don't see this ad :)
My impression is that Irish medical education has a combined reputation in the US and that the particular school doesn't make much difference. Where you prefer to live for 5 years and cost should be more important factors in your decision making I think.

The main problem with having your baby in Ireland is that it'll never be president.. that is unless Gov. Schwartzeneggar gets that pesky law changed. ;)

Thanks all,
I've confirmed with UCC that I'll attend and i'm really very excited. Like you, Leorl, no waiting around for me (for Oz, Canada or other).

Now just to get all the logistics worked out since i fly in three weeks. Thank the stars that my wife has EU citizenship. Then there's the stress of short-term accomm until i get a flat for all of us. Anyway, Eire...here we come!

Unch said:
Thanks all,
I've confirmed with UCC that I'll attend and i'm really very excited. Like you, Leorl, no waiting around for me (for Oz, Canada or other).

Now just to get all the logistics worked out since i fly in three weeks. Thank the stars that my wife has EU citizenship. Then there's the stress of short-term accomm until i get a flat for all of us. Anyway, Eire...here we come!
Congrats on your decision. Send me a PM if you'd like if you have any specific questions or even if you want to meet up for a beer or get a quick tour or something. You're going to enjoy Cork I'm sure!

Unch said:
Thanks all,
I've confirmed with UCC that I'll attend and i'm really very excited. Like you, Leorl, no waiting around for me (for Oz, Canada or other)

Welcome to UCC. It's a good school, so hopefully you'll have no regrets. With regard to having a baby here, check in as a private patient at the Cork University hospital - it has the best reputation of all the hospitals here, certainly better than the Erinvale maternity or even the Bon Secours. Good luck, and hope to see you in a few weeks.
Check out daft.ie for flats and houses. Cheers, and good luck.

The CUH won't have a maternity service until June 2006. Unless your wife is going to be 5 months overdue, she'll have to pick another hospital. Avoid St. Finbarr's is my advice. The Bons is nice but expensive and the Erinville has very good neonatal facilities.