UCC-Univ. College Cork Fall 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
are students at cork generally pretty accepting of older students cuz I know of some areas in the US like that where I've had some friends who are older students (generally like 4-5 years older) who have had a bit of trouble at their respective unis in getting along. I know I won't have that problem cuz I'll just more or less talk to and hang out with whoever I find interesting but i guess me question is more in a general context.

We are all horribly ageist in Cork and will refuse to talk to anyone 5 or more years older than us. In fact, we will try to sabotage your studies and will throw eggs at your apartment at every opportunity. :laugh:

Don't worry, as long as you have either a sense of humour or go to the pub a lot, you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Kaptain Krunch said:
We are all horribly ageist in Cork and will refuse to talk to anyone 5 or more years older than us. In fact, we will try to sabotage your studies and will throw eggs at your apartment at every opportunity. :laugh:

Don't worry, as long as you have either a sense of humour or go to the pub a lot, you'll be fine.

LOLz, no trust me, i aint so worried about it, just curious, cuz I've seen out here in certain places in the US, it's really pathetic how they sometimes look at the older students [like they're friggin aliens or something]

go to the pub and sense of humor...check and check [at least i think for the last one ;)], so i shud be good to go...

Hey everybody, still haven't heard about housing, but I'll definitely start calling, I've just been sending emails, which they've been good about answering. I finally emailed Suzanne Buckley, because that's who all the orientation stuff says to contact. She emailed me back and said she had anticipated that some international students wouldn't be able to arrange housing until it was all full and had some spots reserved specifically for this reason. But she's already doled them out. So she's going to try and get a few more spots and will give me one if she's successful, if not, she said I'd have to look at off-campus housing and the housing office keeps listings, but that's kind of hard to do from the US. I'm hoping I'll still be able to get a spot before I go over. I guess when I put my name on the waitlists a couple months ago, I also should have contacted her. But the people, Emma and someone at Vic Lodge said there was a good chance that I would get a spot starting in August. Anyway, I'm sure it'll all work out.

I have to go get that Hep B antigen test now because I got an email from the AB asking for the results. I thought we just had to bring it with us, but apparently we have to send it to the AB. That's cool, I just gotta go do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
trapper12, be sure to tell Suzanne buckley your flight arrival and exact ETA, she or someone else will come to get you from the airport at Cork, at least that's what she told me.

Also, any ideas as to when the book fair is? The one where they sell books and what time that might be? So many questions running thru me mind hehe but can't think of them all right away.

Book fair is usually in the first two weeks of the first term. Don't worry about it cos Medsoc will tell you all about it in class. Arrive 20 minutes early though because a lot of the good stuff is sold then. Top buys are anatomy and physiology books. Bad buys are biochemistry unless you haggle to around ?10.

Grrrr!!!!!!!!!!

It's September 2nd and stupid UCD sends me an acceptance letter.....

WHERE THE HELL WERE THEY MONTHS AGO! Sorry, wanted to vent somewhere - my first choice was to move back to Dublin. I've actually been talking to people about it since and been totally sold on Cork so I actually am really excited to be going to Cork now. Still, I would have liked the option when I was making a decision.

Sage880,

When did you apply? Did you apply before the deadline? I'm just asking because I want to know if this is how slow the application process really is.

Sage880 said:
Grrrr!!!!!!!!!!

It's September 2nd and stupid UCD sends me an acceptance letter.....

WHERE THE HELL WERE THEY MONTHS AGO! Sorry, wanted to vent somewhere - my first choice was to move back to Dublin. I've actually been talking to people about it since and been totally sold on Cork so I actually am really excited to be going to Cork now. Still, I would have liked the option when I was making a decision.

Hey folks, yah i heard from UCD as well a few weeks back but had to reply no.

Question to those who are taking USMLEs and aiming for residencies in the US. Is step II absolutely necessary for all US residencies? How are you planning your particular schedules out? Do you plan to take Step II at the end of 5th year, then apply then do a lab job or another job for a year while waiting to hear where you have been matched?

Another question I had was, can you do summer course work in particular classes and try to finish med school early? Or for example, can one opt out of classes and take more advanced classes if they've already done certain ones in another undergrad place (i.e. doing biochemistry at an american university and then trying to see if you can get credit for that course at Cork and see if you could take a different course?)

Thanks

echostation said:
Another question I had was, can you do summer course work in particular classes and try to finish med school early? Or for example, can one opt out of classes and take more advanced classes if they've already done certain ones in another undergrad place (i.e. doing biochemistry at an american university and then trying to see if you can get credit for that course at Cork and see if you could take a different course?)

Thanks
All the upper years I met said opt out of bio-chem for sure. It's easy and you get a huge chunk of your tuition back.

Were you talking to be people from UCC or another university? Some of the Americans in my class had a degree in biochem but still had to do the biochem modules in 1st and 2nd year. Other colleges may be different. Ask the medical school or the biochem department if they've changed they're policy though.

They're definitely not going to allow you finish med school early. You sit the exams at the end of the year and if you pass, you're on to the next year. There's not much actual course work to do during the year, justs lots and lots of exams.

Heh, they won't let you finish early...and I don't see how it would be possible anyway. At Trinity, I exempted out of biochem, but our year was a special situation because they "overbooked" our class and were short on space and staff to handle everyone so they encouraged those of us who could to exempt out :). But in other years, even people with biochem degrees were not allowed to exempt out. Easy first if you have to take it.

Kaptain Krunch said:
Were you talking to be people from UCC or another university? Some of the Americans in my class had a degree in biochem but still had to do the biochem modules in 1st and 2nd year. Other colleges may be different. Ask the medical school or the biochem department if they've changed they're policy though.

They're definitely not going to allow you finish med school early. You sit the exams at the end of the year and if you pass, you're on to the next year. There's not much actual course work to do during the year, justs lots and lots of exams.
I was talking to current UCC students. No, you were not allowed to pick up another class to finish early though. You just didn't have to do bio chem and you got some tuition back if you exempted out. Also, the exemptions for bio chem seem to be on a module by module basis so it's not like you can opt out of the whole year.

Starting back tomorrow in the Eye Clinic in the University Hospital. See ye all next October or whenever ye start.

Good to hear you can opt out of biochem. They're the most evil :eek: department in UCC. Eeeevil, i tells ye :laugh: .

Members don't see this ad :)
Great news, Suzanne Buckley emailed me and said she secured a spot for me at Farranlea Hall. So now everything's set. I'm arriving on the 20th, when's everybody else getting there?

That's good to hear Trapper. I'll see you in Farranlea! I arrive Sept 17. I'm getting excited and freaked out all at the same time!

I'm arriving the morning of the 14th...... getting really close!

Congrats Trapper! See you guys next week.

Hey guys... leaving tomorrow.

Anyone planning to bring a suit? I don't really want to but I was wondering if people needed them previous years.

Sage, there is a formal Med Ball in Nov or Dec. So perhaps a suit would be good to have if you think you might attend. Have a safe trip!

bring one anyway. There's always occassions that rise where you might need one. Sometimes for Viva's and things you have to dress nice too (although you wouldn't really need the jacket). And you will need to dress up once you start going into the hospitals.

You don't really need to bring a suit. You can rent one for the med ball if you need to. No one wears suits to hospital. Khakis and shirt seem to be standard uniform. You might want a suit if you have a pass/fail oral but most people just wear a shirt and tie.

Hey guys, been here two days and having a blast! Finally got Internet in my room so I can tell my parents I haven't died. See you guys when you get here!

Hey Sage, so you got in okay? How're the digs? You're in Farranlea, right? What do you think about Cork and UCC? I'm trying to get everything finished up here, I don't leave until Sunday though.

PS: School hasn't started yet so I can't comment on that at all. But city wise, I LOVE Cork. I lived in Dublin for a while and was sad not to go back there but now I'm really glad I didn't.

The reason I like it is a lot of the ammenities (spelling?) that I really missed in Dublin are here in Cork. Haven't been over to The Spires but everything I've needed is easily within walking distance of Farranlea Hall (and Vitoria Lodge is right beside it). It might be that the residence isn't right downtown like Trinity so they have room to build new, and bigger, buildings. The outskirts of Dublin might be like this as well. The city center isn't far at all though - I walked there today. The rooms are REALLY great too. Much better then I was expecting. Just thought you'd like to hear it!

trapper12 said:
Hey Sage, so you got in okay? How're the digs? You're in Farranlea, right? What do you think about Cork and UCC? I'm trying to get everything finished up here, I don't leave until Sunday though.
Ha ha, I almost beat your question with the answer. Things are great so far - couldn't be happier. Farranlea is kick-ass. The gym is close, the grocery store and major department store is really close. I walked around UCC a little today and it looks nice. They're having their convacation now though so we couldn't really go in any of the buildings.

So far so good!

Sage880 said:
Ha ha, I almost beat your question with the answer. Things are great so far - couldn't be happier. Farranlea is kick-ass. The gym is close, the grocery store and major department store is really close. I walked around UCC a little today and it looks nice. They're having their convacation now though so we couldn't really go in any of the buildings.

So far so good!

How funny, I thought you were answering my questions. :laugh:

Yeah, the thing about Trinity and RCSI is that it's very close-packed so that there's no room for expansion of anything. Everywhere including UCD is open-plan. But if you pick where you live, you can have great amenities. Like where I'm living is perfect...10 min to TCD, 10 min to any shop, 20 min walk to the hospital (but I bike so 7 min). Other places have...space...which can be nice :) Glad you like it there Sage, the UCC residences are quite nice!

Hey folks,

I'm thinking of applying to Irish schools this year. Spent some time in Cork a couple of summers ago. Keep your eyes open for these groovy red t-shirts that say "People's Republic of Cork". I wanted one so bad but couldn't find where they sold them while I was there....

You can get them in a shop on Washington Street or in a shop in Merchant's Quay shopping center on the 1st floor. Don't ask me what it's called. Rebel something or other.

Watch out if you wear it in the states. One computer science got beaten up in Boston while on work experience because someone thought the t-shirt was for chinese communism.