UCC Fall 2004 - Which residence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sage880

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, first of all I'd just like to say hi to all the people heading to UCC for this fall! I can't wait. I'm a Canadian student (Ontario) and I spent 6 months living in Dublin but I've never been to Cork. I saw some other students who will be heading there as well on some other threads (trapper12 for one) so if there are any others post a quick hello!

Also, thanks a bunch to Grover and Kaptain Krunch for their advice and suggestions on what to expect! The only thing I got a mixed message on was the residences and how far they are from things. The UCC package basically shows a mini-mart of some kind right next to CastleWhite and someone said that CastleWhite was the closest to town with the other residences being 10 minutes farther away.

I'd love to get an idea where everything is. From the maps it looks like "The Spires" is closest to town with Victoria lodge and Farranlea Hall being further away then Castlewhite. Are they all equally close to shopping? Are they all pretty much the same in terms of quality? Which residence would you suggest to an incoming international student from Canada?

Thanks a bunch! See you all in the fall!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

As for residences, the only one available now is Farranlea Hall. From what I hear this a fairly new residence (Vic lodge also) and the bedrooms have their own bathroom. This was a must for me! Castlewhite is older and has communal facilities. I choose Farranlea because I have a friend that has lived there and he was very pleased. Check out http://www.ucc.ie/campusaccommodation/ for more info. Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Yeah, after posting I realized that Farranlea was my only choice. Sooo.... problem solved! Own bathroom will be nice. I also heard that they have broadband internet available. Not sure if I want that (it's a real time waster for me!) but would be nice to consider.

Must.... resist... surfing.... Internet....

Members don't see this ad :)
I've stayed at Castlewhite before (rowers stay there during the national championships which are held in Inniscarra). They're nice! I don't know how they compare to the other residence halls, but it was decent. Suites of single rooms, each room has a sink although shared bathroom facilities. And a large kitchen/lounge room. I think there are like 4-5 rooms in a suite.

ok guys i'll be honest with you here as I'm quite worried and don't know what to do or think really.

As an american perm resident, i got waitlisted and rejected from most US schools I applied to but got into UCC and will be living in Farranlea halls... while i guess I should be happy that I got into a US med school, i'm really quite worried that by going to UCC, I may not be able to get back to the US for residencies as I would truly truly like to practice medicine in the US. However, at the same time I think it would be silly for me to reject an offer of acceptance to what seems to be a decent school (can't find much info on this either). I am just really quite unsure though of how many UCC graduates manage to get a fairly competitive or decent residency position in the US. I just ultimately would like to practice there and would re-apply to the US if I f ound it feasible but I've gotten this acceptance already.

Any suggestions or detailed thoughts would be extremely extremely helpful

Hey echostation! Maybe we'll be roomates in farranlea if you end up going?!

Anyway, here's to hoping that someone who's been through the process can give advice but in case they don't, here's what I've found from my research (talking to students, posts on SD.net, talking to the atlantic bridge people): Irish med school grads are thought of highly and if they have good marks compete for the top residency positions in the US. In addition, atlanticbridge told me that 100% of the students who wanted a residency program in the US were able to get one (maybe that means they didn't get the one they wanted but at least they got something).

I guess going to an American school is always the best and safest thing to do and it's one year shorter then the Irish program but I think the Irish programs are very good. The reason I want to go is that I just wrote the MCAT in april and they waited for my scores - I don't want to spend a whole other year here while I'm applying to NA schools. Plus, I lived in Ireland and it's BEAUTIFUL. You will love it. I can't say enough good things about the people and the culture. I can't wait to be back!

echostation, we all have those worries before coming over. But I've been told time and time again, with the Irish schools we are relatively "safe." The reputation of the Irish schools is fantastic, and our ability to diagnose and communicate and well-regarded. We do have a bit of catchup to do when doing rotations or residency just because we have to get used to a new system upon coming back home, but it doesn't present a huge problem.

Going abroad obviously isn't the safest option, but frankly, the experiences I've had over here far outweigh whatever risks there are. It's fantastic.

That 100% match rate simply isn't true. Of this years graduates, I think one has a residency in the US, one got 6 months of internship in Ireland, and everyone else is looking for lab jobs and hoping to match next year. 100% may eventually get residencies in the US, but the Atlantic Bridge leaves off the eventually.

I don't want to sound too discouraging. It's not as if they applied an went unmatched. They were unable to apply for the match because they weren't prepared for step 2 early enough. They'll probably match next year (fingers crossed for them).

The problem is that medical school in Ireland is all building up to final year in which everything should come together. To match as an FMG, you have to take Step 2 by like November or so. With the late learning schedule, you won't be ready in Nov. unless you do a lot of studying on your own. Having to do a research year isn't ideal, but it isn't the end of the world I guess.

so would you recommend taking step II between 3rd and 4th year summers then take step I between 4th and 5th year summers??

as in step II earlier than step I??

that sounds really quite disappointing coming from UCC?? only one got a residency match and the others didn't match? damn...

At my school, people don't seem to have problems with matching. But...it IS a lot of self-study, and you'll probably have to be prepared for that. I don't know any specific stats, though. I might try to find some. I don't think you have to do a whole lot of worrying.

No, you wouldn't take Step II before Step 1. Usually, you end up taking Step 1 the summer of your 4th year (or our 3rd year, if you're a direct entrant). And take Step two end of 5th year or beginning of 6th year. However, you will have some finals beginning of 6th year too.

ok cool, but wo wo wait a second, i was told by atlantic bridge that UCC is a 5 year program not a six year program...

It's a five year programme. Only people who can't speak English do pre-med.

You'll want to take Step one before or during 4th year. In order to match and go straight to residency, you'd have to take Step 2 early in final year. The problem is that you do Med, Peds, Obs, and Surg in final year. If you take step 2 in the fall, you'll only have had half your core subjects. You could try studying for them in the summer before final med, but it's tough.

is step II absolutely necessary for all US residencies? How are you planning your particular schedules out? Do you plan to take Step II at the end of 5th year, then apply then do a lab job or another job for a year while waiting to hear where you have been matched?