UC Post-Bacc Consortium 2015 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone, I saw this forum and I just had a question about the UC post-bacc application. If you retook a class, do they count both grades or just the retake grade?
Both just like MD schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I got my acceptance into the UCSF postbacc yesterday!! Lemme know if you guys have any questions. Like lostsoul said the two interviewers were incredibly nice and asked very straightforward questions.

Did they call you or email you?! :O CONGRATS!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Every time my phone rings, I pray it's Riverside...but it's usually my mom or a telemarketer.

Anyone got any news?

Reactions: 1 user
I think the people at this program really screwed my chances at getting anything here. I applied last year and didn't get in. This year I applied maybe like 2.5 weeks before the deadline. All my material was in before the deadline, and I wanted to include two previous letters from last years app, which according to the website, you can do (FAQ):
  • I applied last year; can I use the supporting documents I submitted then?
    In most cases, yes, since the central office keeps copies of materials submitted in previous years, but it is necessary to send new transcripts if they have changed. You are also strongly encouraged to get letters of recommendation with the most up-to-date information.
I noted on the application those names. I emailed them twice BEFORE the deadline, to ask about why my application didn't say complete even though they had all the material and wanted to include two previous letters- no response. I called once, but couldn't get through. I eventually got a rejection on 4/23, and just assumed that my application was sent to the programs as complete, and since they were two old letters, it was just not showing up on the new application as complete but was complete according to the people from the program. I decided to re-email them in early May, and basically, my application wasn't complete until then. I asked if this meant I was going to be considered super late and if it would really harm my chances at getting in, and in short, YES. They even acknowledged getting the email about me wanting to add those two letters in March. I feel like I deserve some kind of apology.

I'm a first time applicant lostsoul. Im pretty sure they aren't done admitting students though. They did mention that they would have two committee meetings for admitting students. The second one is supposed to take place at the end of the month.

UCR is still reviewing applications, I spoke to Teresa this week! Does anyone know if all the first time applicants have been admitted to UCSF? I thought the second meeting was to admit re-apps.

Has UCSF and UCR finished interviews?

I just had my interview at UCSF on 5/21. They told me that 5/22 is the last day for interviews and they will be making final decisions next week! Best of luck everyone!

I haven't received my rejection email...
I didn't even make it to the second interview....such a sad day :(

Hey guys I got my acceptance into the UCSF postbacc yesterday!! Lemme know if you guys have any questions. Like lostsoul said the two interviewers were incredibly nice and asked very straightforward questions.

Hey @Sleepwalker! I also got into the UCSF post bacc! I was wondering if you'll be going there for sure or if you have other plans. I'm debating on whether to go or not because of the costs...not sure if I really care about money at this point since it's such a great opportunity haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @Sleepwalker! I also got into the UCSF post bacc! I was wondering if you'll be going there for sure or if you have other plans. I'm debating on whether to go or not because of the costs...not sure if I really care about money at this point since it's such a great opportunity haha

Hi @Pongism. I was on the exact spot as you are regarding UCSF's Postbac program a few days ago. In the end, after talking to program alumni and weighing in all the pros and cons, I decided NOT to accept my spot with the program. Yes, it's UCSF, but it's a costly program with a huge time commitment that would end up delaying me from starting med school for at least a couple years. My GPA wouldn't really change by taking 5-6 classes (that I don't really need) during the program. The most alluring aspect of the program for me was the MCAT prep over the summer, but there are other alternatives that won't require me to put my life on hold for so long and pay so much money for it, not to mention SF rent costs. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Hi @Pongism. I was on the exact spot as you are regarding UCSF's Postbac program a few days ago. In the end, after talking to program alumni and weighing in all the pros and cons, I decided NOT to accept my spot with the program. Yes, it's UCSF, but it's a costly program with a huge time commitment that would end up delaying me from starting med school for at least a couple years. My GPA wouldn't really change by taking 5-6 classes (that I don't really need) during the program. The most alluring aspect of the program for me was the MCAT prep over the summer, but there are other alternatives that won't require me to put my life on hold for so long and pay so much money for it, not to mention SF rent costs. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Wow. So what are you going to do now that you turned down UCSF?

I just accepted my spot into UCSF!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow. So what are you going to do now that you turned down UCSF?

@Pongism I'm going to take an MCAT prep course this summer. My friends have gotten great scores and credit much of their success to it. My pre-med advisor recommended that I focus on building a more well rounded application instead of taking more classes, so I have made arrangements to shadow a local physician and will look for a research position to build on my healthcare experience. He's really against post-bac/master's programs--unless they guarantee automatic entry to their medical school or at least an interview and you really want to go to that school, which this program doesn't do.

@Pongism I'm going to take an MCAT prep course this summer. My friends have gotten great scores and credit much of their success to it. My pre-med advisor recommended that I focus on building a more well rounded application instead of taking more classes, so I have made arrangements to shadow a local physician and will look for a research position to build on my healthcare experience. He's really against post-bac/master's programs--unless they guarantee automatic entry to their medical school or at least an interview and you really want to go to that school, which this program doesn't do.

I agree with MorpheusChaser. I also decided to forgo my Post-Bacc after interviewing at Irvine, Davis, and SF. I realized that doing it on my own would be SOSOSOSO much more cost effective and with my connections in medicine already, I don't necessarily need the program.

@lostsoul91 @MorpheusChaser
Sorry this is weird, but do you think we can chat on facebook or an online chatroom platform where you can remain anonymous if you'd like? I would really like to hear some of your ideas. Thanks!

Would you mind sharing which prep course this is?

Has anyone who interviewed and not heard back from UCSF been formally rejected?

Has anyone who interviewed and not heard back from UCSF been formally rejected?

I had my interview with UCSF on 5/20 and I have not heard from them yet :/ I already read that someone that interviewed after me was already offered a spot, so not looking too good on my end.
Congrats to everyone that was accepted!!

Today I received an interview invite from UCR. I've still yet to hear from UCLA.

I just got my rejected e-mail from UCSF *sigh* but I would really appreciate it if I can hear about what everyone elses' alternative plans are outside of a post-bacc program

Just got rejected from UCSF... :(. The interview felt like it went REALLY well, maybe I miss-read their signals? Whatever. On to plan B.

I just got my rejected e-mail from UCSF *sigh* but I would really appreciate it if I can hear about what everyone elses' alternative plans are outside of a post-bacc program

Princeton Review's MCAT Prep! It costs money, but they have pretty good teachers (I only know because I went to berkeley and a lot of my really genius friends who are in med school now were MCAT tutors). Depending on how well the MCAT goes, I'll either get really into research until I apply or take some classes at a nearby state school (it's so so so much cheaper).

@Pongism Yes, I already weighed my options carefully before I applied to the program so I had no intention of not accepting if I got in. I feel this program would be valuable to me for a variety of reasons. 1) I want to be a part of a cohort that's all working towards the same goal because I feel I need support in navigating the AMCAS process. Currently, I'm living at home, which isn't the most supportive or motivating environment so it would be a real struggle for me to do it on my own. 2) I'm in desperate need of letter of recs from science professors 3) A 93% acceptance into a US med school is too good to pass up, especially since I don't feel confident in my scores.

I agree, the financial cost is something that's been keeping me up at night, but I'm trying to think of it in the big picture. I'm going to have to take out hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans anyway for medical school, and if this program is going to help me get in then it'll be worth the cost. I've also been working for the past few months so I have some money saved. And in general, I know how to survive on a small budget so I think I can make it work.

Good luck with making your decision!

Reactions: 4 users
Princeton Review's MCAT Prep! It costs money, but they have pretty good teachers (I only know because I went to berkeley and a lot of my really genius friends who are in med school now were MCAT tutors). Depending on how well the MCAT goes, I'll either get really into research until I apply or take some classes at a nearby state school (it's so so so much cheaper).

May I ask which state school you're trying to take some classes at? I reside around the bay area and I heard that classes are hard if you're not in the formal programs haha

Got my rejection from UCSF. sigh
Still no second interview from UC Davis lol
Off to plan B

Rejected from UCSF and UCD after interviews :(

Good luck everyone!

Interviewed at :

UCSF (5/20) Rejected
UCD (5/21) (webcam interview); No interview invite post pre-screening interview
UCR (Yesterday) Pending

No word from UCLA yet, has anyone heard from them?

Hey guys! I got into UCD and UCSF post baccs and I was wondering if anyone is in the same position as I am. I'm having a hard time choosing because of the money problem and different environments. Any advice helps!

Interviewed at :

UCSF (5/20) Rejected
UCR (Yesterday) Pending

Received my interview invite from UCLA today.

Just got the UCLA-RAP program interview invite!

Interviewed at :

UCSF (5/20) Rejected
UCR (Yesterday) Pending

what do you mean by "UCR (Yesterday) Pending"? You got an interview request yesterday?

Hey guys! I got into UCD and UCSF post baccs and I was wondering if anyone is in the same position as I am. I'm having a hard time choosing because of the money problem and different environments. Any advice helps!

@Pongism My friend and I got accepted to UCD and UCSF also. She's definitely attending UCD--didn't feel much of a connection and is not about to pay thousands of dollars a month for crazy SF rent. I'm still undecided. I turned down UCSF and I was absolutely set to prepare to apply on my own, but honestly UCD makes it very hard to say no (not in a bad way at all). They are so *amazing* and I feel such a connection with them. UCSF was like ok, whatever, thanks, bye. Not the case at all at UCD. I actually had a great conversation with them, so I'm definitely still considering them. It truly feels like a small family and they definitely show you love. You can tell that they care and they picked us out of hundreds for a reason and genuinely want to see you succeed. Definitely very supportive, understanding, and culturally competent and that environment is more in line with what I would want to do. Thinking back, the people from my group interview were great people too. I'd be surprised if they didn't get in also. They'd be great classmates. Ahhhh!! why????? Decisions. Good luck deciding though. Maybe I'll see you at Davis in a couple weeks after all.

Can't believe I hadnt seen this forum. Just found searching for info about these two programs and UCLA since just got interview offer. All these updates would have reduced my stress level lately. I'm also in at both post baccs and have to decide by tomorrow the deadline where I'm going i guess. Heart is 95% set on UCD, with 5% about UCSF doubt lingering. I live in the middle and could do either, but I felt a stronger connection with UCD. Dr. Morfen and the staff made me feel welcome and seem very encouraging and helpful. UCSF is a good school, but i just looked on craigslist for apartments and my heart started racing. No thank you i'll stay north lol what are you leaning toward @Pongism ?

@Pongism My friend and I got accepted to UCD and UCSF also. She's definitely attending UCD--didn't feel much of a connection and is not about to pay thousands of dollars a month for crazy SF rent. I'm still undecided. I turned down UCSF and I was absolutely set to prepare to apply on my own, but honestly UCD makes it very hard to say no (not in a bad way at all). They are so *amazing* and I feel such a connection with them. UCSF was like ok, whatever, thanks, bye. Not the case at all at UCD. I actually had a great conversation with them, so I'm definitely still considering them. It truly feels like a small family and they definitely show you love. You can tell that they care and they picked us out of hundreds for a reason and genuinely want to see you succeed. Definitely very supportive, understanding, and culturally competent and that environment is more in line with what I would want to do. Thinking back, the people from my group interview were great people too. I'd be surprised if they didn't get in also. They'd be great classmates. Ahhhh!! why????? Decisions. Good luck deciding though. Maybe I'll see you at Davis in a couple weeks after all.

looks like a bunch of the people accepted to UCD are on this forum. and i feel the same way about the people at Davis. The people in the program make a huge difference. Pretty sure i'll accept. Hope to meet you all soon. Are you still undecided on what you are doing @MorpheusChaser ?

Seems like many people chose UCD on this forum, however I chose UCSF for various reasons. These include my never-ending love for SF, welcoming and easy going UCSF interview and other staff, higher acceptance rate for its graduates for medical schools, financial aid and scholarship availability, and free 7 week housing provided at the beginning of this program. And lastly, it's UCSF, I mean who wouldn't want to go there, right? Any other students who accepted UCSF here? Also, it's a long shot, but anyone from Central Valley, more specifically, Fresno area? Lol