(((~:$$$ UC Irvine School of Medicine, Class of 2012 $$$:~)))

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump!
Is anyone still waiting on their financial aid packages?

Still waiting (and calling the office incessantly--could be a good move or a bad one in the long run:laugh:)

Members don't see this ad.

Still waiting (and calling the office incessantly--could be a good move or a bad one in the long run:laugh:)
That probably won't help you. Last year those who hadn't heard by April or May didn't hear until right before (and sometimes after) school started in August.

I got mine 2 days before orientation last year and got my money a month into school.

They're very nice in the office but kind of slow. I doubt calling will actually get you your package faster - he still has to finish up the 2nd year packages.

That probably won't help you. Last year those who hadn't heard by April or May didn't hear until right before (and sometimes after) school started in August.

I got mine 2 days before orientation last year and got my money a month into school.

They're very nice in the office but kind of slow. I doubt calling will actually get you your package faster - he still has to finish up the 2nd year packages.

Well I ended up getting my "package" of $0 today...yay. Stupid system...

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you mean dr. luigi? did you get your package and get all loans?

They gave you your money a month into school? How do they expect you to live during that month? I'm supposed to pay 2 installments of my rent at VDC Norte before my lease begins, I wonder how I'm gonna do that.:eek:

Did you submit your forms by the May 1 priority deadline for grants?

Pretty much if your parents make less than 80k or so then you get 5k otherwise you get nothing. There isnt much money to go around here.

They gave you your money a month into school? How do they expect you to live during that month? I'm supposed to pay 2 installments of my rent at VDC Norte before my lease begins, I wonder how I'm gonna do that.:eek:

It was a fluke they screwed up. Most people get their money by the first day of actual classes.

what do you mean dr. luigi? did you get your package and get all loans?

Sorry. What I meant was that I didn't get any financial aid. I did get loans, but I was hoping to get at least some money that I wouldn't have to pay back. And I did submit everything on time, but there were issues with their system and my forms for some reason.

huh, there was a problem with my forms as well. still haven't got my package..guess it will be just loans as well.. boo.

Sorry. What I meant was that I didn't get any financial aid. I did get loans, but I was hoping to get at least some money that I wouldn't have to pay back. And I did submit everything on time, but there were issues with their system and my forms for some reason.

Did they notify you of your package with an email? and did you sign in online to look at it?

huh, there was a problem with my forms as well. still haven't got my package..guess it will be just loans as well.. boo.

what kind of problems phomp? What does it say on your "financial aid status Page"? Does it say that all forms have been received and on time? Or something different?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they notify you of your package with an email? and did you sign in online to look at it?

This is what happens.

So long as your status says all forms considered on time you will be considered for grants.

The issue is there isn't much money available for grants, so you end up with only a small amount of money available for 104 students.

Its based on your and your parent income. Something like less than 80 or 100k get 5k based on what I've heard from classmates (I don't know anyone who got more need-based grants than that - keep in mind this doesn't apply to MD/PhD or Prime students - they get more). You + your parents income being more than that means you get probably get nothing.

Grants are not all gone already - he hasn't even finished doing 2nd years packages. If you didn't get grant money its because you didn't meet the need-based requirements.

Again, there is one guy for 400 students so its sort of slow. They will send you an email when they post your package, then you login to the website and click on award and it shows you what you got.

If you're getting loans you will get ~8k subsidized staffords, ~40k unsubsidized staffords, and any remainder will be GradPLUS this is actually awesome because its 10k more than most students get in unsubed staffords - this is because our school year is >9months so they can get us more federal low interest loans.

You'll get your package when you get it - unfortunately calling them won't help. Just be ready and do the paperwork once you do get it so you get your loans quickly.

all my forms were submitted on time. one of my forms somehow did not show up on my checklist so i missed that one and had to redo it. my sar was also rejected cause of some error (oops). hopefully our packages come soon!

all my forms were submitted on time. one of my forms somehow did not show up on my checklist so i missed that one and had to redo it. my sar was also rejected cause of some error (oops). hopefully our packages come soon!
so is everyone going to the retreat in September? sounds like a real awesome opportunity to chill and network :whistle:

so is everyone going to the retreat in September? sounds like a real awesome opportunity to chill and network :whistle:

Oh heck ya! I just sent in my registration form today. The La Quinta is a such a beautiful resort which I have stayed at (when I went to Coachella) and it was about $400/night (in late april) for a regular room. They are giving us a great deal for the weekend!!! Everyone has only told me only good things about it :) I would not miss it.

hah? when is it? where is the info about the retreat? did i miss something?

oh yeah????? how???? by snail mail??? I want mine too!!!
But then I am still waiting for my "stimulus package" :bang:

It came by snail mail yesterday. It just includes the White Coat ceremony information and the reply card with how many guests we intend to bring. :D I bet you will get yours soon.

oh yeah????? how???? by snail mail??? I want mine too!!!
But then I am still waiting for my "stimulus package" :bang:

Yeah I got mine yesterday too. It says to reply by July 5th. That doesn't seem like a big window to turn in the RSVP.

Hey guys! The Emergency Medicine Interest Group at UCI is looking for people to get involved! We are holding our symposium this year and need lots of help from people. Its a really interesting organization whether you want to do EM or not and is a great opportunity to network with both fellow students and physicians at UCI.

PM me if you interested or are in the orange county area and would like to get started helping before you even start med school! Then you'll know some people here when you start.

Yeah I got mine yesterday too. It says to reply by July 5th. That doesn't seem like a big window to turn in the RSVP.

on the back of my envelope it was stamped in red that the rsvp deadline has been extended to july 25th.

anybody else find it impossible to activate their uci sid and thus view their financial aid packages?
Do you guys already have to activate your uci sid? Last summer I used the temporary one they gave me until we started school.

anybody else find it impossible to activate their uci sid and thus view their financial aid packages?

I've been fine using my UCI SID to log in to the system for a while now to check my status and make sure my forms were received. Did you do the whole password change thing? But no financial aid package for me yet. Did they notify you that your package is ready?

I received an email saying "Your 2008-09 UCI Financial Aid Notification is Available" on June 24th. It told me to log into the www.ofas.uci.edu website where I was able to see and accept my grants, the subsidized loan, and the unsubsidized loan. Is this what everyone is talkin about?

I've been fine using my UCI SID to log in to the system for a while now to check my status and make sure my forms were received. Did you do the whole password change thing? But no financial aid package for me yet. Did they notify you that your package is ready?

I didn't get a student id number in my admit packet, as is claimed by the website. So I called the office to ask for my number. I got it, and tried to create a password, but it says my number doesn't exist. I tried to create a temp one for financial aid, and it says i already have a password.

Hey everyone, i'm a 4th year med student from LSU new orleans. i'm going to be at UCI this december...im looking for an apt or something to sublease for 1 month while i'm on my rotation. any suggestions?? thanks!!

I received an email saying "Your 2008-09 UCI Financial Aid Notification is Available" on June 24th. It told me to log into the www.ofas.uci.edu website where I was able to see and accept my grants, the subsidized loan, and the unsubsidized loan. Is this what everyone is talkin about?

just out of curiosity, can you share around what time period you were accepted? Just so I can have a feel at what pace they are going at? Thanks!

just out of curiosity, can you share around what time period you were accepted? Just so I can have a feel at what pace they are going at? Thanks!

i was accepted in early june and received this email about 1 or 2 weeks ago, but have no way of going online to actually view/accept these awards. i called the computer people, who told me to call the registrar, who told me to call financial aid. problem is, the financial aid guy is out of town for a while. i hope they don't expect me to have $25k lying around during orientation week...

i was accepted in early june and received this email about 1 or 2 weeks ago, but have no way of going online to actually view/accept these awards. i called the computer people, who told me to call the registrar, who told me to call financial aid. problem is, the financial aid guy is out of town for a while. i hope they don't expect me to have $25k lying around during orientation week...

Relax. As I said same thing happened last year. If they don't finish your finaid and can't pay your fees with it thats their problem. Not yours. Last year my loans didn't come through for over a month. So they didn't have tuition for me that whole time - but that was there problem not mine. Never heard a word about it.

Your biggest problem will be if you need YOUR money first thing you may have to keep nagging until school starts but for now relax. This happens EVERY year and if my classes nagging last year didn't help it won't help you guys this year.

so I glanced over the biochem syllabus, and it said for honors you have to get >95% in the class:eek::wow:. Is that crazy or what??????:scared:

so I glanced over the biochem syllabus, and it said for honors you have to get >95% in the class:eek::wow:. Is that crazy or what??????:scared:

LOL. I actually had a question about the book they want us to get for this course: Champe and Harvey's Lippincott Illustrated Review of Biochemistry, 4th Edition.
I keep hearing that we should wait to buy books, but does anyone (alwaysaangel) know if we should just go ahead and buy this one now since it is also used to study for the boards? or wait until school starts?

LOL. I actually had a question about the book they want us to get for this course: Champe and Harvey’s Lippincott Illustrated Review of Biochemistry, 4th Edition.
I keep hearing that we should wait to buy books, but does anyone (alwaysaangel) know if we should just go ahead and buy this one now since it is also used to study for the boards? or wait until school starts?

Same question. I gotta spend a few more dollars on amazon to qualify for free shipping. :)

LOL. I actually had a question about the book they want us to get for this course: Champe and Harvey’s Lippincott Illustrated Review of Biochemistry, 4th Edition.

Go for it - you'll definitely use that one.

And yes its kind of hard to honor Biochem. Its one of the competitive honor classes and so only the top 10% of students that honor - it ends up being about 95%.

Don't stress about honoring - you either will or won't some classes are easier to honor than others.

Go for it - you'll definitely use that one.

And yes its kind of hard to honor Biochem. Its one of the competitive honor classes and so only the top 10% of students that honor - it ends up being about 95%.

Don't stress about honoring - you either will or won't some classes are easier to honor than others.

what about histology? is "color textbook histology" or "histology time" necessary for the boards?

what about histology? is "color textbook histology" or "histology time" necessary for the boards?

I never touched the book. Wait on histo time. Its like 30 years old - you'll get a copy.

bump :)

what up, homes!

I think our class is almost finalized, this is gonna be the best class in UCI's history, I can just feel it! :horns:

Sorry to revive this old thread. I'm looking for a temporary place to stay for 4 weeks as I am rotating through UCI Med Cnter from Chicago as an M4. It's a Gen Surg Sub-I and I should be going to my families house in Newport on the weekends, so I only need a place for the weekdays. Anyone know of any resources other than Craigslist and the UCI visiting student coordinator? Kinda outta luck with my car in Chitown!

Mucho Gracias