(((~:$$$ UC Irvine School of Medicine, Class of 2012 $$$:~)))

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hmm...i got a call from the housing office a couple of weeks ago and was instructed to fill out a guaranteed graduate housing application. did you fill one of these out? this is a different application than the one we filled out on interview day.

that said i haven't gotten my financial aid packet yet so i'm not sure how that is related. it says on my financial aid status page that my planned housing is "on campus (verano)" as well, though. you have the option of changing that under "report my changes" :confused:
from what I heard, they just finished housing the current grad/med students, and they told me they should have a graduate housing assignment for us(those on the guaranteed graduate housing list) by may 15th.

Members don't see this ad.

from what I heard, they just finished housing the current grad/med students, and they told me they should have a graduate housing assignment for us(those on the guaranteed graduate housing list) by may 15th.

Hmm. None of my classmates who are trying to get on campus have heard ANYTHING from housing yet so I sure hope this isn't true!

Housing is pretty incompetent. The key to getting housing is annoying them all the time.

Hmm. None of my classmates who are trying to get on campus have heard ANYTHING from housing yet so I sure hope this isn't true!

Housing is pretty incompetent. The key to getting housing is annoying them all the time.
are they on the guaranteed housing list? i know for those who are, they said we should hear back by may 15th

Members don't see this ad :)
are they on the guaranteed housing list? i know for those who are, they said we should hear back by may 15th

Well yeah thats the issue - none of them have heard anything and half those 50 spots were supposed to go to current MS1s because we got screwed last year. And housing was supposed to contact all those people about getting on the list and none of them have.

I'm just going to have to let them know that the need to bug housing NOW.

But also, last year people kept being told they'd hear back by x date and they didn't. So I'm also warning you guys, that like finaid, housing is a bit off on their timelines.

Well yeah thats the issue - none of them have heard anything and half those 50 spots were supposed to go to current MS1s because we got screwed last year. And housing was supposed to contact all those people about getting on the list and none of them have.

But also, last year people kept being told they'd hear back by x date and they didn't. So I'm also warning you guys, that like finaid, housing is a bit off on their timelines.

I've been bugging housing long before the deadline ;)

yeah, I hear ya, . . . having gone through the UC system, I kind of learned to bother the living hell out of everyone involved to get the desired result

hey alwaysaangel, do you know anyone in the Jews in Medicine group in your class, is that group active, I haven't been able to find any contact info for it

hey alwaysaangel, do you know anyone in the Jews in Medicine group in your class, is that group active, I haven't been able to find any contact info for it

Not that I know of. I've heard of it but I can't think of anyone in it. So it should be active. Just wait until the first week there will be a tabling day at lunch with all the clubs.

Not that I know of. I've heard of it but I can't think of anyone in it. So it should be active. Just wait until the first week there will be a tabling day at lunch with all the clubs.
so the housing people told me that everyone on the guaranteed graduate housing list should get their housing assignments on may 15th :scared:

yay for housing...i never paid any $20...but according to the housing office i have guaranteed housing. hmm, i wonder if i should ask?

so.....when does school start? do we need to pay a deposit at some point?

it's all coming up so fast...preparing to quit my job and move.. :eek:

yay for housing...i never paid any $20...but according to the housing office i have guaranteed housing. hmm, i wonder if i should ask?

so.....when does school start? do we need to pay a deposit at some point?

it's all coming up so fast...preparing to quit my job and move.. :eek:

Might want to call and ask in past years there was a 20 dollar fee - but in past years there wasn't guaranteed housing.

There wasn't a deposit last year I doubt there is one this year - if you're worried you can call and ask.

how do we know if we have guaranteed housing? Who qualifies for guaranteed housing?

how do we know if we have guaranteed housing? Who qualifies for guaranteed housing?
you should have received an email from the housing office saying you've been placed on the guaranteed graduate student housing list.

i am guessing they placed the first 50 accepted students on that list who've turned in their intent to matriculate form

you should have received an email from the housing office saying you've been placed on the guaranteed graduate student housing list.

i am guessing they placed the first 50 accepted students on that list who've turned in their intent to matriculate form

It should be the first 25 - 2nd years are supposed to get half those spots. So unfortunately about 75% of your class will still have to live off campus. Remember if you're prime or Md/PhD you already get preference.

If you haven't heard from the housing office just call and harass them - A LOT. Even last year without guaranteed housing some of my classmates got apartments on campus by doing that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do these 50 spots include only Palo Verde and Verano or do they also include Vista del Campo and Vista del Campo Norte?

Do these 50 spots include only Palo Verde and Verano or do they also include Vista del Campo and Vista del Campo Norte?

I honestly have no idea - they used to make you pay $150 to get on the list for VDC because its not technically owned by the school.

Call housing and check but my guess is because its separate its not included in the 50 spots.

i believe they include VDC, and VDC Norte since when I filled out the guaranteed housing form, I had to rank all the graduate housing communities, and both were listed there, but they have a an application separate from PV and Verano, which includes the $150 refundable deposit

here what I just got:

ear Fall 2008 Graduate Housing Guarantee Student,

We have received your guaranteed housing interest form, and in the next
couple of days you will receive an email indicating your community
placement for Fall 2008. Prior to receiving the community placement
notification, I want to share with you some factors that impacted your
placement.

* The high demand for housing, along with the limited supply of
open spaces, limited our ability to match some students with their first
choice community and apartment type preferences.
* Preference for one bedroom apartments, in particular, is high,
and the availability of this type of unit is very low. Our ability to
accommodate students preferring one bedroom apartments is very limited.
* Students assigned to Vista del Campo or Vista del Campo Norte
should note that these communities are for students without children
only, and all apartments are furnished. (You cannot remove the furniture
from the apartment.)

Student Housing is making every effort to accommodate student
preferences. We hope that you will consider the challenges of the high
demand for on-campus housing when evaluating your guaranteed housing
offer.

You should have received a letter from Graduate & Family Housing, along
with or close to the same time frame, as your offer of admission to the
University. (If you didn't receive it, please discuss this issue with
your academic school contact.) In that letter, it indicated that
graduate students who did not like their guaranteed housing offer could
decline the offer and take the risk of getting on the waitlist for their
preferred community. However, in order to retain their guarantee, they
must be placed prior to September 25th. Please note that due to the
high demand for housing, the likelihood of being placed off the waitlist
before September 25th is extremely low. Please keep this in mind when
making your decision to accept or decline your guaranteed housing
community offer.

Finally, it is important that you meet all deadlines associated with the
guaranteed housing offer. Please respond within the designated time
frames indicated in forthcoming communications regarding the graduate
guarantee. If you declined UC Irvine admission or no longer need
on-campus housing since your submission to the Online Interest form,
please respond to this email.

All questions regarding the graduate guarantee should be directed to:
[email protected].

woohoo! got housing in verano place! :)

FELLOW ANTEATERS! The dean just called me and I'm so excited I am going to be your classmate!!!!!! I LOVE IRVINE!:love::love:

FELLOW ANTEATERS! The dean just called me and I'm so excited I am going to be your classmate!!!!!! I LOVE IRVINE!:love::love:
yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:, much love to you too, :love:, daydreamer! It's :hardy: time!

here is our facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10902597761

I just got a 2bed/2bath apartment in Vista Del Campo Norte and now I am looking for a roommate.

Anyone else out there got in/applying for VDC Norte?

woohoo! got housing in verano place! :)
was that your first choice? I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I live in Verano right now, and I hate it. But, to each, their own, I guess

CONGRATS DAYDREAMER! :)

was that your first choice? I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I live in Verano right now, and I hate it. But, to each, their own, I guess

yeah that was my first choice. why do you hate it? i'm a non-trad w/kids so i'm just excited by the cheap childcare. :rolleyes:

btw, i'm trying select the floor plan i want. do you have any feeling of which one is most spacious for the value?

glad you got the assignment you wanted! do they let you select your own roommates or is it assigned?

yeah that was my first choice. why do you hate it? i'm a non-trad w/kids so i'm just excited by the cheap childcare. :rolleyes:
ah, ok, that's a good deal for someone with kids

i want a place where there are a lot of young, hip, SINGLE folks who are ready to PARTY :hardy:, if you catch my drift ;)

haha..yeah.. getcha. makes sense..i wouldn't be too excited either if not for the services they provide in verano.

(ps..i'm not OLD or anything... :p)

Thanks guys! I'm SO excited to meet you all. Countdown to August 8th!!!!

haha..yeah.. getcha. makes sense..i wouldn't be too excited either if not for the services they provide in verano.

(ps..i'm not OLD or anything...i'm still young, hip, single and ready to party...haha. :p)
:thumbup: :hardy:

clubbing-uk.jpg

hey guys,
just checking on a couple things...
first of all, when we sent back the form accepting the acceptance, that was all to it for now, right? no deposit was necessary by may 15, etc?

also, regarding housing...you guys that already have assignments were guaranteed housing? i assume all students aren't guaranteed housing if there are only 50 spots, so just checking that there's not something i was supposed to do to get on-campus housing by now. anyone know what the usual timeline's like for housing assignments for standard incoming MD students?

hey guys,
first of all, when we sent back the form accepting the acceptance, that was all to it for now, right? no deposit was necessary by may 15, etc?

also, regarding housing...you guys that already have assignments were guaranteed housing? i assume all students aren't guaranteed housing if there are only 50 spots, so just checking that there's not something i was supposed to do to get on-campus housing by now. anyone know what the usual timeline's like for housing assignments for standard incoming MD students?

If you don't get on the guaranteed list (which most of you will because its 'recruitment' time all the spots are going to incoming students), then you are pretty screwed. Its hard to get in. Only a couple of my classmates got in last year, and those basically just bugged the housing office constantly until they got a place. Timeline isn't really clear - most found out AFTER orientation.

Its not awful if you dont get a place - just more expensive - there are lots of great off campus places and it takes just as much time for me to drive from my house as it takes me to drive from Verano and PV so they're not really closer.

hey guys,

yes

If you don't get on the guaranteed list (which most of you will because its 'recruitment' time all the spots are going to incoming students), then you are pretty screwed. Its hard to get in. Only a couple of my classmates got in last year, and those basically just bugged the housing office constantly until they got a place. Timeline isn't really clear - most found out AFTER orientation.

Its not awful if you dont get a place - just more expensive - there are lots of great off campus places and it takes just as much time for me to drive from my house as it takes me to drive from Verano and PV so they're not really closer.
really??? where do you live?

really??? where do you live?

Newport Beach near Fashion Island. Both take me 10 minutes door to classroom but when its busy it takes longer from PV and Verano because of all the stops and cross walks.

Newport Beach near Fashion Island. Both take me 10 minutes door to classroom but when its busy it takes longer from PV and Verano because of all the stops and cross walks.
i walk from verano to tamkin in under 18 minutes, i timed :D:p

hey alwaysayangel!

do you know how rigorously they enforce pre-reqs? I mean, do you think they'd hold one back a year if the person didn't have one relatively unimportant class completed before school started? I haven't taken stats, and really don't want to spend my summer studying, plus if I take it at UCI and not a jc (which I might have to do due to scheduling problems) I might have to drop like $500 :eek::eek::eek:

What do you think?

hey alwaysayangel!

do you know how rigorously they enforce pre-reqs? I mean, do you think they'd hold one back a year if the person didn't have one relatively unimportant class completed before school started? I haven't taken stats, and really don't want to spend my summer studying, plus if I take it at UCI and not a jc (which I might have to do due to scheduling problems) I might have to drop like $500 :eek::eek::eek:

What do you think?

You're gonna have to call them and ask. They're pretty strict about the required classes as far as I know. The only person I know that they waived it for took the class but it was an extension course and the program lost his final. So it wasn't his fault he 'didn't complete the class.'

I have a feeling you're going to have to take it. Like I said - call them - I'm by no means a definitive answer, but my guess is your summer will be spent taking stats.

painful. i'm taking stats right now for that very reason. zzzzz.... good luck with trying to get out of it! bright side...if anything, if you take it at a jc you won't *really* have to study much...

so where do people park if everyone drives? i didn't see any lots except for that patient one out front.

You're gonna have to call them and ask. They're pretty strict about the required classes as far as I know. The only person I know that they waived it for took the class but it was an extension course and the program lost his final. So it wasn't his fault he 'didn't complete the class.'

I have a feeling you're going to have to take it. Like I said - call them - I'm by no means a definitive answer, but my guess is your summer will be spent taking stats.
yeah, i've talked to them and they say i have to have it, but i didn't know how strict they were. . . . i was hoping to slip by . . . but i guess i'd have to spend my summer learning about standard deviations and p values :(:thumbdown:

yeah, i've talked to them and they say i have to have it, but i didn't know how strict they were. . . . i was hoping to slip by . . . but i guess i'd have to spend my summer learning about standard deviations and p values :(:thumbdown:
Yeah do not count on slipping by. Remember there are tons of people on a list just raring for your spot, and if you didn't fulfill the requirements outlined I have a feeling they would just give it to someone else, I'm not even sure they'd defer you. Really not worth the risk.

Just take it one of the JCs around here - there are tons - I'm sure you'll find one that fits your schedule.

painful. i'm taking stats right now for that very reason. zzzzz.... good luck with trying to get out of it! bright side...if anything, if you take it at a jc you won't *really* have to study much...

so where do people park if everyone drives? i didn't see any lots except for that patient one out front.

I don't know which patient one out front you're talking about.

When you came to interview didn't you park in lot 83? Where the guy was handing out parking passes? Thats where we all park. Its not a patient lot except a few spots in the way front.

There is a patient parking lot behind tamkin that is for Gottschalks, and no you can't park there - but parking is never an issue in lot 83.

Yeah do not count on slipping by. Remember there are tons of people on a list just raring for your spot, and if you didn't fulfill the requirements outlined I have a feeling they would just give it to someone else, I'm not even sure they'd defer you. Really not worth the risk.

Just take it one of the JCs around here - there are tons - I'm sure you'll find one that fits your schedule.
yeah, i hear ya, ain't worth risking it now, hah!

there goes my tax rebate :cry:

What do you think of Palo Verde? Are they decent? Of course VDC is amazing and by far the best, but Palo verde seems pretty new and cute. (from the pics)

I don't know which patient one out front you're talking about.

When you came to interview didn't you park in lot 83? Where the guy was handing out parking passes? Thats where we all park. Its not a patient lot except a few spots in the way front.

There is a patient parking lot behind tamkin that is for Gottschalks, and no you can't park there - but parking is never an issue in lot 83.

hum, i guess i'm talking about the one that is for gottschalks. i didn't know about any other lots...i've always arrived by taxi. thanks though!

What do you think of Palo Verde? Are they decent? Of course VDC is amazing and by far the best, but Palo verde seems pretty new and cute. (from the pics)
Palo verde is very good, especially the newer buildings, they have big rooms, a nice community center, it's much newer overall than verano :)barf:)

the only problem i have with pv is that they don't have ac, and i am so sick and tired of suffering for like 4 months every year in an overheated apartment ... this is the main reason i choice vdc

if you can get pv, i'd highly recommend

What about an online/extension course somewhere?
yeah, there are a few, i'll have to miss one or two weeks . . . i am trying to find out if uci med financial aid would apply to a prereq class i could take at uci in the summer so that i wouldn't have to pay $800 :eek:

hey guys, first off congratulations on getting into UCI!

im an MSI @ UCI and i just thought i'd give some input on a few things:

1. they ARE strict on prereq classes. I hadn't taken a stand alone biochem class and I had to take it over the summer before matriculating (otherwise they wouldnt let me in)...cost me 800 bucks at Berkeley Extension (but luckily it was cal so 4th graders could pass the class without too much effort :p) ... and i tried to get out of it too..

2. Housing - I live in Corona del Mar (a village of Newport Beach) and it takes me 10 minutes door to door to tamkin (with traffic). Friends who live in VDC/PV take about that amount of time door to door as well due to the slow one lane campus loop and the ridiculously large number of stop signs always present on any college campus drive loop.

Hopefully that'll help you guys make decisions - feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Afaik, the Jews in Medicine club is active. If you want more details on their club, contact Phil Reich, [email protected], MS4/MBA candidate.