UC Irvine Research on Rounding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would rounding help critical care patients who are having exacerbations?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ranells

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a UC Irvine nursing student researching rounding under the supervision of two PhD nurses that want to improve health systems. Here is an journal article that describes it: http://m.ccn.aacnjournals.org/content/29/4/84.full.pdf

I have two big questions about rounding. Feel free to pick one. Your help is greatly appreciated: Do you think rounding is a good idea to help critical care patients experiencing exacerbations when assigned doctors are at home or out of town? Imagine a patient who is losing blood on Christmas night and has a doctor who is at home. Would rounding help? Why or why not?

Do you think the average nurse is capable of being apart of a rounding team, or do you think this is unrealistic? Many RNs come from community colleges and dont seem prepared for evidence-based practice and equal-footed collaboration with doctors like this article implies. On the other hand, nurses know patients better than doctors on a personal level and if they are experienced, I can see this working.

Also, feel free to provide additional thoughts or suggestions to improve the problem. Thank you so much.

Ryan

Members don't see this ad.