Technology dialup vs. highspeed at UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacy111

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am debating between dialup and highspeed for my apartment. What is everyone's opinion on this. I would love to have highspeed but I don't know about paying 59 bucks a month. I know internet is required at UCSF. Which service do people use? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

59$ is hard to justify on a student budget. Can you share the high-speed hookup, and cost, with people in adjacent apartments by going wireless?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah, OSACA will pay part of your internet bill, up to a set amount, I think. Look on the UCSF pharmacy page for more details.

easiest way- get wireless and share it with people around you since you are in a single. Get three others to share, so $15 a person.

A switch or hub would accomplish the same purpose, and be much more stable. Then again, the downside is that, since you are likely in different rooms, you would have to string cables from computer to hub/switch.

But I would definitely go for broadband - dial-up is just painfully slow, it hogs phone lines, and anything you would have to download for class, be it a powerpoint, program, or pdf file will take soooooo long to download. Broadband connections are well worth the extra $$ :thumbup:

Go for the broadband, it really is worth it. Actually, broadband costs the same if you take into account having to pay for a phone line (~$30) plus the dial-up fee ($10-15). I use cable internet and don't have a phone line in my apartment, because both my husband and I have cell phones anyway.