UC Dublin Acceptance List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sepaul

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I got an offer that expires on the 22 and I know that more letters are coming out soon after this expiration. Who else is going to Dublin? I am waiting on Meharry in TN and then will have a final decision. I hope the dollar can climb back up to 1: 1 Euros! Fat chance with Bush and Dick in the White (Christian) Man House.

1. So, what is your biggest draw to Ireland?

2. What will you bring to prepare the USMLE? anyone talk to any yanks or kanucks over there to get an idea how to prepare it?

3. How do we calculate paying out the intrest while in school?

4. Anyone considering buying property in Dublin? Any advice here? I have downloaded some .pdf's and know that sept. 2004 of The Economist covers the Ireland Property market. I don't know about taxes and other issues of buying as a forigner.

5. Who else has questions?

HAPPY ST. PATTIES DAY
-se

Members don't see this ad.

A few of the NA students in my class who brought their partners with them bought apartments here. If you can swing the finances, it's well worth it and with a buoyant property market in Dublin, it makes more sense than shelling out rent every month for 5 years.

Property is expensive and the average price is >300k euro and even that won't get you much! The sky is the limit in the better areas of the city centre and southside suburbs.

Take a look at: http://property.nicemove.ie/

Trinners said:
A few of the NA students in my class who brought their partners with them bought apartments here. If you can swing the finances, it's well worth it and with a buoyant property market in Dublin, it makes more sense than shelling out rent every month for 5 years.

Property is expensive and the average price is >300k euro and even that won't get you much! The sky is the limit in the better areas of the city centre and southside suburbs.

Take a look at: http://property.nicemove.ie/

Is it possible for my partner to work? How would she move on that?
-se

Members don't see this ad :)
sepaul said:
Is it possible for my partner to work? How would she move on that?
-se

Yeah...that shouldn't be a problem! Obviously, it is greatly dependent on your partner's qualifications and what kind of employment she wants...

There's more info on working in Ireland on the following government website:
http://www.oasis.gov.ie/employment/

Swinging work shouldn't be too hard, but there may be obstacles that require either further training or just waiting a bit longer than desired.

1. My biggest draw: the people, and the structure of the education system. There is a lot of inefficiency going on, but what I'm talking about is the drawing out of some particular classes (the ones that are most material-intensive like path and anatomy) over two years, and the time you can afford to spend on extracurriculars. A little bit more relaxed than the US system, which I think allows a more solid foundation.

2. Don't bring anything in particular to study for the USMLE. By the time you take it, things might have changed, and you want to get the most current version of First Aid for the USMLE anyway just prior to taking the exam.

4. As Trin said, buying property isn't impossible if you have the money to shell out for it. It would probably end up cheaper than renting in the long run, plus once you have it, you can sublet it to others if you desired after you're done ;). It's always good to have a place in a city like this.

5. Even those in med school here have questions :). We always have questions.