****** UC Davis Class of 2011******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

So I'm starting to think about getting a new laptop because my current one is slower than a doorstop. I've looked at the recommendations from the disorientation manual and school's computing website but I'm wondering if anyone here is considering getting a tablet. Does anyone at Davis have one? Is it useful at all or kind of a waste?

Perhaps if any current Davis students are around they could comment...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

one of the students told me that its helpful for histology, but other than that not really. its kind of up to you if you want to make that investment.. i just got a new laptop, waiting for it to come in the mail - so excited!

also, the student recommended getting a light weight computer for better portability.
g'luck!

one of the students told me that its helpful for histology, but other than that not really. its kind of up to you if you want to make that investment.. i just got a new laptop, waiting for it to come in the mail - so excited!

also, the student recommended getting a light weight computer for better portability.
g'luck!

Those are good recommendations that I will second! Honestly, a tablet PC will come in handy exactly twice during your medical school career: radiology and histology. Honestly, though, I wouldn't get one. They're not cheap and they're not durable, and you can refer to many multitudes of books for the same information you could get from labeling pictures. One student in my class had a tablet, and I think she eventually switched to a regular computer after first year.

That said, having a small and lightweight computer is a MUST! You will be carrying it around allll day. When I started med school, I got myself a 12" iBook, and it's been a delight to own. It weighs in at just under 5 lbs, hasn't had a single problem (software or hardware) in 2 years now, and it survived being dropped on the floor. :oops: Small, durable, and reliable are all excellent traits to have in a laptop you'll use for medical school. In case you're worried about screen size, the MedEd building has about a billion desktops with lovely 19" flat panel displays that you can use any hour of the day or night. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool thanks! I'm definitely not going to pay more for a tablet then. Ex-Kitty what computer did you just order?

Those are good recommendations that I will second! Honestly, a tablet PC will come in handy exactly twice during your medical school career: radiology and histology. Honestly, though, I wouldn't get one. They're not cheap and they're not durable, and you can refer to many multitudes of books for the same information you could get from labeling pictures. One student in my class had a tablet, and I think she eventually switched to a regular computer after first year.

That said, having a small and lightweight computer is a MUST! You will be carrying it around allll day. When I started med school, I got myself a 12" iBook, and it's been a delight to own. It weighs in at just under 5 lbs, hasn't had a single problem (software or hardware) in 2 years now, and it survived being dropped on the floor. :oops: Small, durable, and reliable are all excellent traits to have in a laptop you'll use for medical school. In case you're worried about screen size, the MedEd building has about a billion desktops with lovely 19" flat panel displays that you can use any hour of the day or night. :)

I also have a 12 inch iBook and think it's sooooo cool! I highly recommend it for all of the reasons stated above!

I also have a 12 inch iBook and think it's sooooo cool! I highly recommend it for all of the reasons stated above!

Yeah, I'm considering the 15" macbook pro, which would be my first mac. Originally I thought it'd be too heavy but after some digging on the apple site I found that the regular macbook is 5.1 lbs and the 15" macbook pro is 5.3 lbs. I'm thinking the difference of .2 lbs is worth the extra screen real estate and better computer.

I got a Dell M1210... it was discounted quite a bit so I just went for it. Its about 4.4 lbs with a 12" screen. :thumbup:

Howdy, folks. Just accepted to Davis today. Joining the party late, but very glad to be joining...

Howdy, folks. Just accepted to Davis today. Joining the party late, but very glad to be joining...

Hey NDY. Just wanted to say congrats! I saw you made it in on the pre-med thread, but everyone else got to you before I did. lol. All the same, congrats and be seeing you in less than a month!:thumbup:

Hey NDY. Just wanted to say congrats! I saw you made it in on the pre-med thread, but everyone else got to you before I did.
Congrats yourself, chevaliermalfet. See you in Sac in a few weeks, yeah?

Hi NDY,
Congratulations! :D I was hoping you and the others from "Davis Final Decisions" would make it over here. Our class has its own website and a Facebook- let me know if you need the internet links to access those. See you soon!

Congratulations! :D I was hoping you and the others from "Davis Final Decisions" would make it over here. Our class has its own website and a Facebook- let me know if you need the internet links to access those.
PM me that, if you would, bugabugster. I don't actually have a Facebook account. It feels a bit skeevy if you're over 30, but I suppose I need to adapt).

Thanks for the good wishes ExKitty Doctor...

I've heard that our Gross Anatomy labs are not to be done on campus, but at the Coroner's Office in downtown Sacramento. I remember during the interview tour, the (3rd year) med students said they had recently moved it with the new building and such, and were kinda wishy washy as to where exactly it was. Alas I have no car, and so I was wondering if anyone else has heard the same thing. Thanks guys!

hey guys.. I'm an MS2 and we're currently holding neuroanatomy in a really nice building, FSSB.. it's very close to the med education building (walking distance) and from what I hear, that's where your anatomy lab will be. It's so much better than what we had at the old campus in Davis. You guys are lucky!

Also, are any of you coming to the pre-matriculation program?

Take care, we'll see you in a few weeks!

Enjoy your summer!

Hey guys,

After picking Davis over NYU for the joy of living in beautiful northern california and the close proximity to my friends and family, I have decided to defer for a year to have a little more time out of school to pay off some debt and travel. I am so excited to be back in school again that it was a hard decision to defer, but I know I will be at my best a year from now. Med school is going to be such a blast! Looking forward to meeting you all soon...

Jonah

Hey guys,

After picking Davis over NYU for the joy of living in beautiful northern california and the close proximity to my friends and family, I have decided to defer for a year to have a little more time out of school to pay off some debt and travel. I am so excited to be back in school again that it was a hard decision to defer, but I know I will be at my best a year from now. Med school is going to be such a blast! Looking forward to meeting you all soon...

Jonah

Wait, they let you defer to travel? I thought deferments were only allowed to finish research projects and such. That's really awesome, though. I guess Davis is one of the few down to earth schools that actually understands students might need to defer for personal reasons.

It has already been asked up on the facebook site, but I was wondering if anyone out there knows what our daily schedule is going to be for our first year, or at anyrate for our first block (i.e X class at Y time, lunch at Z, etc etc). Granted it probably makes little difference, but I admit I'm curious.

Also, is anyone living near 57th St and V/Broadway/2nd St? Be nice to know who my med-student neighbors are ;).

And one final bit of randomness while I am here (which my not be useful to most of you, but I just stumbled upon it and it makes me happy), if anyone is switching from a PC to a Mac, this page is extremely helpful in getting used to using a Mac:

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

Anyhow, take it easy, and be seeing you guys in a few weeks!

Also, is anyone living near 57th St and V/Broadway/2nd St? Be nice to know who my med-student neighbors are ;).
I'll be on V Street, though at the other end, near 39th. Elmhurst seems like a great neighborhood.

What's the Facebook URL, by the way?

I'll be on V Street, though at the other end, near 39th. Elmhurst seems like a great neighborhood.

What's the Facebook URL, by the way?

Nice. Glad you managed to find a place, what with the short notice.

Anyhow, I believe the site is here (at least for me):

http://washington.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2346406091

However, if that doesn't work, just search for UC Davis School of Medicine, Class of 2011 (which is the group's name).

Are all the classes held at the med center in Sac? Or are some still held in Davis? I ask because I want to know where to look for housing. Thanks