UA Tucson vs Loyola Stritch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serviam9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a southern CA resident.

UA Tucson

Pros:

· Closer to home

· Warm weather (I know it gets really hot but sometimes I think I prefer this over cold Chicago)

· Cheaper tuition (even out of state tuition, 53K at UA vs 56K at Loyola), though looking into the possibility of establishing AZ residency (spouse working as nurse) after a year to try to get in state tuition. Haven’t researched the details of this yet.

· Lower cost of living

Cons:

· During the interview day I did not get a good sense of student body vibe, or the helpfulness of the professors/mentors

Loyola

Pros:

· Did an SMP there, so already familiar with curriculum 1st and 2nd year and know the student body, professors, and administrators. Very warm people and cohesive student body

· I’ve gotten to know CHI pretty well, I have established social circles there and support groups

Cons:

· High tuition at 56K

· Poorer weather

· Farther from home

Would anyone be able to comment on the quality of clinical rotations at UA Tucson?

Thanks in advanced!

Members don't see this ad.

Also from Socal... only you know how you will handle the cold of Chicago since you've already lived there which is great. However, I think you should look at UA Tucson's match list. http://deptmedicine.arizona.edu/sit...udent-residency-match-results_2017-update.pdf

Impressive, tons of surgical subspecialty and EM matches. Plus, tons of matches into California and Arizona. Lower tuition, and in state tuition after one year. Better ranked. Better research.

UA-Tuscon has tons of residencies which you can place into. Amazing derm residency. Insane list of fellowships.
Programs | College of Medicine - Tucson

Can do rotations at Mayo clinic: Mayo Clinic

It will also be easier to do rotations in California if your goal is to 100% match there.

Let me know if you have any other questions!! Also from SoCal and choosing between UA Tuscon and another similarly ranked school on the east coast... I think I want to stay in the warm haha

Also from Socal... only you know how you will handle the cold of Chicago since you've already lived there which is great. However, I think you should look at UA Tucson's match list. http://deptmedicine.arizona.edu/sit...udent-residency-match-results_2017-update.pdf

Impressive, tons of surgical subspecialty and EM matches. Plus, tons of matches into California and Arizona. Lower tuition, and in state tuition after one year. Better ranked. Better research.

UA-Tuscon has tons of residencies which you can place into. Amazing derm residency. Insane list of fellowships.
Programs | College of Medicine - Tucson

Can do rotations at Mayo clinic: Mayo Clinic

It will also be easier to do rotations in California if your goal is to 100% match there.

Let me know if you have any other questions!! Also from SoCal and choosing between UA Tuscon and another similarly ranked school on the east coast... I think I want to stay in the warm haha
Thanks the insights! Have you committed already?