U.S. physician practice down south?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSambo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody provide any information on licensing requirements for U.S. licensed M.D.'s in various countries "South of the border?"

I'm just curious how many hoops I'd have to jump through to go practice in Chille for instance.

For what it's worth, I'm a U.S. M.D. with family practice residency done.

Members don't see this ad.

sammccreedy said:
Can anybody provide any information on licensing requirements for U.S. licensed M.D.'s in various countries "South of the border?"

I'm just curious how many hoops I'd have to jump through to go practice in Chille for instance.

For what it's worth, I'm a U.S. M.D. with family practice residency done.

I'm not familiar with Chile, but I worked in a hospital in Mexico, briefly. It is extremely difficult for any licensed-in-USA-only physician to practice in Mexico whatever your prior qualifications are.

Richard

Richard_Hom said:
I'm not familiar with Chile, but I worked in a hospital in Mexico, briefly. It is extremely difficult for any licensed-in-USA-only physician to practice in Mexico whatever your prior qualifications are.

Richard

How do all these church-based mission organizations get around the red tape when they send MD's south of the border for these mission trips that usually last a week or two?

sammccreedy said:
How do all these church-based mission organizations get around the red tape when they send MD's south of the border for these mission trips that usually last a week or two?

In Mexico (my experience), there is always a "in-country" licensed professional (physician, etc. depending upon the mission) who serves as the "license" for the acitivity.

In addition, many of the missions, get occasional dispensation because the missions don't charge money. If you lived down there, you would want to pracitce and make some money. In that case, there will be a lot of rules. If you want to go down for mission, then I don't believe there will be a lot of grief.

I had intended to go this year to El Salvador. The mission coordinator/director was strict about showing "original" copies of licensure, etc. before qualifying for even a visa to go and do a mission.

Richard