U.S. Citizen wanting to attending UK Med School and get Citizenship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mient96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just wondering if someone could have some insight on this. I've tried doing some research and haven't really come up with anything, and I'm just curious as to how/if this could work.

I'm a U.S. Citizen about to start Pre-Med Undergraduate here in the US. I'm wanting to attend Medical School in the UK, and eventually try to obtain citizenship. Would they consider my tuition as a UK citizen since I would be planning on staying in the UK permanately? Since I have no intentions of moving back to the U.S., would I have to take any form of their exams, boards, etc.?

Any other info, opinions, or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You would have to pay international fees and you would be considered an international if you don't currently have EU citizenship. If you don't intend to move back to the US you will just be writing UK exams which will be your finals, possibly a prescribing exam by the time you get to graduation as well as the MRCP Part 1 and 2 when you finish your foundation years (this is post graduation)

If you really want to attend a UK medical school you can apply as soon as your first year of undergraduate, just make sure you get good grades throughout undergrad. You'll need to write the UKCAT or BMAT for most schools and most will want your high school transcript, ECs, SAT scores and AP as well if you have them.

If you attend a UK medical school you will be put on a path to UK citizenship but the process is by no means fast. During medical school and foundation years you will be on a Tier 4 Visa, when you enter specialty training you will be switched to a Tier 2 which after 5 years allows you to apply for PR and after 1 year on PR you can apply for UK citizenship. So really you won't be a UK citizen until you are around early 30s.

I don't know anyone who would give up their US citizenship for UK. Class struggles still exist in the UK!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know anyone who would give up their US citizenship for UK. Class struggles still exist in the UK!!
You can be a dual US/UK citizen.

That aside, I agree with your point about class struggles. It can be a huge culture shock for Americans.
Source: Attended Celtics vs Rangers game:whoa:and was told I was too posh because I wouldn't neck some Buckfast.

Last edited:
not as much as in the US, unfortunately. The income gap in the US is 800% while that in the UK is 600%.
And, Britons have free healthcare & generous pension.