U.S applicant wants to study medicine in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docbarry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the best schools for a US applicant to apply to? What schools are known for admitting a large number of US students? Are there any schools that do not require GAMSAT or MCAT and admit just based on GPA and reccomendations? Finally, are there any schools that will provide US rotations for third and fourth year students?

Members don't see this ad.

docbarry said:
What are the best schools for a US applicant to apply to? What schools are known for admitting a large number of US students? Are there any schools that do not require GAMSAT or MCAT and admit just based on GPA and reccomendations? Finally, are there any schools that will provide US rotations for third and fourth year students?

Well, its been discussed to death, but if you haven't found the answers to your queries after a search of this forum, the short answers are...

1. Any of them. Aussie schools do not have rankings like the US does and most Aussies would tell you, 'I reckon most of them are good" if you asked. Flinders has the most experience, with U Sydney next; so if that's the criteria you wish to use...

2. Sydney has the largest classes of international candidates; most schools accept up to 20% of their incoming class to be international students (which tend to be mostly North Americans).

3. Not that I am aware of.

4. There are plenty that will allow you to do 4th year (final year) elective clerkships. You must do all your 3rd year rotations in Oz (ie, it is NOT the same schedule as the Caribbean schools operate on), and some of your 4th year ones as well. There may be 6-24 weeks available 4th year for electives abroad depending on the school. Many schools have formal relationships with Us programs to facilitate the rotations, but you can find tons of schools which you can apply to on your own.

UQ has been allowing surgery (year 3) overseas on an ad hoc basis, and...[drumbeat]...as of last week, from next year it and med specialties (year 4) + elective can all officially be done overseas.

Not sure if you can postpone surg somehow to consolidate all the time in year 4, but total allowable will be 28 weeks (plus midyear or xmas break(s) presumably, if you want). No formal relations w/ n american schools yet, but we're working on 'em :p

Members don't see this ad :)
pitman said:
UQ has been allowing surgery (year 3) overseas on an ad hoc basis, and...[drumbeat]...as of last week, from next year it and med specialties (year 4) + elective can all officially be done overseas.

Not sure if you can postpone surg somehow to consolidate all the time in year 4, but total allowable will be 28 weeks (plus midyear or xmas break(s) presumably, if you want). No formal relations w/ n american schools yet, but we're working on 'em :p

Thanks for the update pitman! Quick question though: Do you know of any students (Canadian or otherwise) who have been able to do the core surg rotation in Canada? Or were they done in the U.S.?

Cheers, canucker

canucker said:
Thanks for the update pitman! Quick question though: Do you know of any students (Canadian or otherwise) who have been able to do the core surg rotation in Canada? Or were they done in the U.S.?

Cheers, canucker

I only know of US surg placements, and as an American, I don't know for sure that there aren't any potential hurdles for doing surg in particular in Canadia Land, but i'm pretty confident there aren't: from some research i've done for our med soc, many of the Canadian schools, most in fact except for UBC, accept int'l students for rotations generally (was looking into med specialties in particular).

PM markdc (Canadian) who might know more, or The Pill Counter -- he's currently in the US (I think Mt Sinai) doing surg!

-pitman