*U Penn Class of 2009!*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i just wanted to let everyone to know on this thread that you all are so lucky to have bidster in your class next year. She is so sweet and I just know that she is going to make an excellent addition to your class at Penn.

But anyways, good luck to all of you -- Penn is an incredible school and I'm sure all of you will love being there.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it just me, or do our email addys suck? mail.med.upenn.edu or whatever it is doesn't exactly jump off the tongue

Members don't see this ad :)
Mateodaspy said:
i just wanted to let everyone to know on this thread that you all are so lucky to have bidster in your class next year. She is so sweet and I just know that she is going to make an excellent addition to your class at Penn.

oy (blush!)...But it wasn't enough for you!!! :(
hehe jk--I know you had your reasons for "that other school in Boston"...

And postalwookie, I also agree about the email. I tried to see if I could just send to "[email protected]"....it had worked during undergrad where we had a similar complicated-email-server setup, but apparently it doesn't fly at penn. doh!

PostalWookie said:
Is it just me, or do our email addys suck? mail.med.upenn.edu or whatever it is doesn't exactly jump off the tongue

No, it's not you. They do sorta suck.

Thanks, Bidster, for the suggestions - I started the email-changing bandwagon yesterday. Jeez Louise! You'd think I was asking to change water into wine. But, they are efficient (in that red tape sort of way).

Matt! Email Brenda back! Apparently she emailed you WAY long ago and is slighted that you never emailed her back. Well, not slighted. She just gave a little pouty face the other day when we had dinner. I was like, he's graduating! He's busy! She's like, I know! I just like the guy.

And finally - I can't believe April MCAT scores just came out. Makes me cringe. Meeeemoooories!

TONY -- she emailed me?!?!? When?? :confused: I don't think I ever got it! Did she send it to [email protected]? Tell me when she sent it so I can check my outlook -- I honestly don't remember getting it. Aww, I feel really bad now. Give her a hug :love: and tell her not to fret. Ask her to re-send if possible -- I'll respond post-haste.

~Matt

ajt2003 said:
No, it's not you. They do sorta suck.

Thanks, Bidster, for the suggestions - I started the email-changing bandwagon yesterday. Jeez Louise! You'd think I was asking to change water into wine. But, they are efficient (in that red tape sort of way).

Matt! Email Brenda back! Apparently she emailed you WAY long ago and is slighted that you never emailed her back. Well, not slighted. She just gave a little pouty face the other day when we had dinner. I was like, he's graduating! He's busy! She's like, I know! I just like the guy.

And finally - I can't believe April MCAT scores just came out. Makes me cringe. Meeeemoooories!

Oh, hush now! we can still be BFF even though we won't be in the same city. At least we'll always know that we both have places to stay should you or I ever do an away rotation in Philly or Beantown! The twisted hands of fate always work out in the end.

:love: Longingly yours :love:
Matt

bidster said:
oy (blush!)...But it wasn't enough for you!!! :(
hehe jk--I know you had your reasons for "that other school in Boston"...

I like how I post much more on the Penn thread than on my own school's thread. Buyer's remorse? Let's hope not. :scared: :scared: :scared:

I think its more along the lines that you love attention. ;)

MiaFLSurf said:
I think its more along the lines that you love attention. ;)

I think maybe once you meet your class next year (esp. bidster and ajt2003) and some of the other MS-II' s and III's that I met, you'll understand why I liked Penn so much, and thus lurk on this thread much more than I should. ;)

There's that, and I'm probably a bit of an attention ***** :D

Matt, I let Brenda know...

Are you going on the outdoor thingy? What's it called? HOOT? Something like that. If you are, she's going.

Speaking of (and more relevant to this thread), hey Penn People - do we have an outdoor orientation program? If so, hello?! It's late JUNE. I'd like to plan! :p

Oh, and my email addy's still stupid.

Mateodaspy said:
I think maybe once you meet your class next year (esp. bidster and ajt2003) and some of the other MS-II' s and III's that I met, you'll understand why I liked Penn so much, and thus lurk on this thread much more than I should. ;)

There's that, and I'm probably a bit of an attention ***** :D

I met them all at preview (my fellow first years). And I remember meeting you too.

Im just busting your balls, man.

Im real excited to get over there already and start having a good time...our class looks like its going to be a real chill group.

ajt-

Unless im totally wrong here (which I tend to be sometimes), I think my fellow Nu Sigma nu housemates are planning a first year med school trip during orientation where we go and do all sorts of crazy **** (that I hope is under some sort of alcoholic influence).

....I really need to get this undergrad/rugby mentality out of my system...

Members don't see this ad :)
MiaFLSurf said:
I met them all at preview (my fellow first years). And I remember meeting you too.

Im just busting your balls, man.

Im real excited to get over there already and start having a good time...our class looks like its going to be a real chill group.

Wait - did we meet? In person? I felt so antisocial during Preview. I shouldn't have traveled/eaten/shmoozed with the other Columbia postbaccs (there were four of us there). If we met, I think I would have remembered. But maybe not. Maybe at Tragos? I was drunk there. Hmm. Regardless, there's always the next 4 years to "meet," right?!

And yes, I think our class will be cool. One of my good friends just got in off the waitlist - and she's awesome and fun and interesting and wonderful - yay for our class! Most everyone I met at Preview (MOST) who were set on Penn seemed real and down to Earth.

That Sigma Nu thing sounds like fun (?) - and yes, alcohol better be involved. I feel like I need to get BACK in to the whole undergrad thing; I've been out of school for 4 years! And the real world sucks! Hard! Let's party again and eat lots of pizza.

ajt2003 said:
Wait - did we meet? In person? I felt so antisocial during Preview.

I didn't catch on to it, ajt! :) I did feel guilty at times during the night outings though--I couldn't hear well with all of the noise and I felt like i had to smile and nod a lot whenever I didn't catch every word when I was talking to people. :oops: Hopefully it'll be better at orientation...

And eek--I don't think we're in Pre-Alloland anymore... ;)

This is going to sound really weird, but I had a dream last night that I spent the first semester of medical school not going to classes or doing any work, and it didn't end well. Perhaps I should reconsider putting that bar in my apartment ;)

PostalWookie said:
This is going to sound really weird, but I had a dream last night that I spent the first semester of medical school not going to classes or doing any work, and it didn't end well. Perhaps I should reconsider putting that bar in my apartment ;)

1. up to 50% of the class are "virtual students" - now everything is online.
2. you can be a total slacker and still pass, examples = me, neuronix (*clear throat* what say you, eric?), and many other people whose names i'm not allowed to disclose. :laugh:
3. you are a mudphud (right?) you are supposed to slack off (j/k)

look what i am doing now...
why am i always checking sdn right before the exam????? :mad:

ImmunoANT said:
1. up to 50% of the class are "virtual students" - now everything is online.
2. you can be a total slacker and still pass, examples = me, neuronix (*clear throat* what say you, eric?), and many other people whose names i'm not allowed to disclose. :laugh:
3. you are a mudphud (right?) you are supposed to slack off (j/k)

look what i am doing now...
why am i always checking sdn right before the exam????? :mad:

Any thoughts on where to buy bedroom furniture, preferably of the cheaper variety (maybe slightly nicer than ikea)? Thanks!

Skichic56 said:
Any thoughts on where to buy bedroom furniture, preferably of the cheaper variety (maybe slightly nicer than ikea)? Thanks!
there's a store on walnut between 20th and 21st (or maybe chestnut? anyway, in that general area :confused: ) that sells very nice furniture. several girls in class got their beds, desks, and sofa from there.

I'm actually going to try to invest in a nice queen-size bed, with a good mattress. So far, I'm not exactly impressed with Ikea bedroom stuff. I plan on sleeping a good amount, and I definitely want to upgrade from the ****ty dorm extra-long / extra-narrow bed.

PostalWookie said:
... I plan on sleeping a good amount, ...

ummm... I like your attitude :thumbup:

in the fall, the 1st and 2nd years (probably a couple 3rd years too) will have our own special retreat (this is in addition to the annual mstp retreat that's actually .....ummmmm .... quite $&@#$@#.......) since you are here (and I'm so sick of studying for GI now) I want to ask for your opinion. far or near by, 2 days or 3 days (will have to be labor day)? last year, we had it at a state part in virginia.

tomorrow I'll ask some girls where they got their beds from ...

i'd vote closer- just because i'm more interested in the area close to penn since i've had never been to pennsylvania prior to my interview.

lengthwise... maybe two nights? unsure-

sockandmittens said:
i'd vote closer- just because i'm more interested in the area close to penn since i've had never been to pennsylvania prior to my interview.

lengthwise... maybe two nights? unsure-

oh well, you'll have the whole 8 years (or 7.25 as skip advertised) to get to know philly/pennsy. anyway, i'll pass the idea to the girls (the ones who are in control )

Just a heads up....Air Tran is having a sale and there are some good deals on flights to philly from different cities. Thought this might be of use as August (slowly) approaches and airlines become less generous!

If you login to your admissions status page, they've updated it with a new "orientation" tab....

bad news: there is "suggested" review reading listed for genentics, histology, and cell bio. eep. it begins :eek:

good news: there is a complete orientation schedule and a white coat ordering form (yay!) :D

hope this satisfies a Penn fix! (...and that you don't get winded from sprinting to find that reading. ;) )

There's no way that I'm spending even a day of my last summer of freedom doing "optional" studying. Hell no. Plus my Alberts is packed away in one of my 20 boxes, and I'm not about to look for it.

Anyone here in NYC this summer?

PostalWookie said:
mail.med.upenn.edu or whatever it is doesn't exactly jump off the tongue

Thanks to my mother, I stumbled upon a partial solution today....she emailed me and forgot to put the "mail" bit in the suffix, but her email still came through. So we can tell people to send email to [email protected] and it still works--it at least saves people having to remember the "mail-dot." :)

That makes it more palatable.

so.. on the subject of our email account- is anyone else having problems logging into it? It keeps saying that it's disabled for me? Anyone have any ideas? Did I miss a step somewhere? Thanks!

Got it! Thanks- and I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend!

Where is everybody? This thread is kind of dead

PostalWookie said:
Where is everybody? This thread is kind of dead

I've been envying any of my classmates who already have furniture and thus do not have to deal with finding/amassing it. :p

I've been finishing up work-related things in NYC, prepping for a week-long cruise to Bermuda with my boyfriend (yay!), and figuring out moving logistics (headache-inducing).

Oh! Anyone gonna be on South 22nd between Pine and Lombard? If so, well, we're neighbors!

Also, SDN seems a whole lot less fun nowadays, so posting's not as fun. The new kids have taken over - and rightly so, I guess! Plus, I'll see you all soon enough, right?!

Hello, my friend- it has been a long time since I have posted-My wife and I are living close to 20th and Spruce which makes us (you and me) neighbors- the neighborhood is awesome. I am ecstatic about starting UPENN and meeting my new classmates- (due to a family medical emergency I was mostly absent from revisit weekend). When you get back from the cruise and arrive in Philly do not hesitate to PM me and drop by for dinner ( feel free to bring the BF)- after all we are living right around the corner from one another.

Peace and Enjoy the cruise,
CW :)
ajt2003 said:
I've been finishing up work-related things in NYC, prepping for a week-long cruise to Bermuda with my boyfriend (yay!), and figuring out moving logistics (headache-inducing).

Oh! Anyone gonna be on South 22nd between Pine and Lombard? If so, well, we're neighbors!

Also, SDN seems a whole lot less fun nowadays, so posting's not as fun. The new kids have taken over - and rightly so, I guess! Plus, I'll see you all soon enough, right?!

ajt2003 said:
Also, SDN seems a whole lot less fun nowadays, so posting's not as fun. The new kids have taken over - and rightly so, I guess!

Heh...I was thinking the same thing. This is my first post in quite a while now. It's sorta nice not having the SDN addiction anymore!

Anyway, this weekend I'll be moving in to my appartment on the corner of 21st and Market, so we unfortunately won't be neighbors; anyone else happen to be living in 2121 Market? I know quite a few people are living in the Ambassador, which is only about 2 or 3 blocks away.

Hello all,

I will be living at 31st and Walnut, moving in a couple of weeks from now!! Can't wait to meet everyone...

Liz

Stephan and I are moving in to our place on August 5th. Anyone up for some pre-orientation festivities?

PostalWookie said:
Stephan and I are moving in to our place on August 5th. Anyone up for some pre-orientation festivities?

Hi PW,

I'm back on the 31st so you can count me in! :)

Just thought I would resurrect this thread though I'm sure a lot of people are either settling in or packing--but anyway, they updated that orientation tab with more substantial info about orientation and the social events...looks like med school may be fun for a little bit :)

Hope everyone's doing well....and may orientation week NOT be as hot/humid/generically gross as this one (for anyone else anywhere on the east). :eek:

That survey was a pain in the ass. If you forget to check something off, it doesn't tell you what you missed, but won't let you submit. My eyes hurt now.

I rolled out of bed yesterday, turned on the news, and it was 97 outside, but a ****ty "Fells like 107" 97

MedVentures sounds awesome! So excited :D

I'll be there on the 1st at 2101 chestnut.... lovely laura will be joining me on the 5th... we're up for whatever! :D

Considering that I'm already in Philly, I too am up for anything. It sounds like we should plan something for the first weekend in August.

Also, if any of y'all need an extra set of hands moving your stuff in, let me know.

Hi everyone

I am an Advanced Standing DMD student at Penn Dental School. I have finished dental school in India and worked in my dad's office for a year. In order to get a license here,we have to get a DDS/DMD degree. On the basis of my foreign dental degree I join directly at the 3rd year. The majority of my 2 years will be spent in treating patients.

If any of you need dental treatment at any point of time or know any one who does, you are most welcome to contact me.

For those who need furniture,there is a good thrift store at 45th and Walnut.

Wel come to Philly!

Given that the MSTPs don't get dental insurance (for that matter, does anyone?), don't be surprised if a lot of people take you up on that offer.

BDS-DMD said:
Hi everyone

I am an Advanced Standing DMD student at Penn Dental School. I have finished dental school in India and worked in my dad's office for a year. In order to get a license here,we have to get a DDS/DMD degree. On the basis of my foreign dental degree I join directly at the 3rd year. The majority of my 2 years will be spent in treating patients.

If any of you need dental treatment at any point of time or know any one who does, you are most welcome to contact me.

For those who need furniture,there is a good thrift store at 45th and Walnut.

Wel come to Philly!

2 points:

I think you can get Dental Insurance from the Student Health Services when you get Medical Insurance. You have to buy it separately but its pretty reasonable at 150$/yr I think. I will ask and get back to all of you.

2) We have an excellent clinic in the Oral Med section to treat medically compromised clinic. Also we do a lot of Oral Medicine than the DDS students do. I strongly believe that DMD and Med students can work very closely together.

Its funny but when ever I have made this offer, a lot of them feel its for free. I do it for free but the school does charge the patient.

BDS-DMD said:
I think you can get Dental Insurance from the Student Health Services when you get Medical Insurance. You have to buy it separately but its pretty reasonable at 150$/yr I think. I will ask and get back to all of you.

You can get dental insurance from the school, but from what I've seen it kind of sucks. It doesn't really cover anything. If you really want dental insurance you'd probably be better off buying private insurance elsewhere (Delta Dental is a name I hear occasionally). The students I know in the OMFS program have a different dental insurance (through the residency or the dental school?) and they actually get good coverage. My understanding is that the med students don't get access to that coverage. Similarly, the physicians at the school get better health care coverage (and food in a separate cafeteria) than we do. Welcome to Penn ;)

I believe you pay approx 180$ a year and that gets you:

1) One complete set of xrays of all teeth once/3 years.
2) 2 free check ups twice a year
3) 2 sets of bitewing xrays(to check for cavities in between 2 teeth and bone loss)
4)All fillings at 5$ copay per vist(May be composite ones too,tooth colored oens that is)

stuff like Root canals and crowns are at a reduced fee. But if you get the basic insurance and come in regularly for cleaning and check up and get the smallest of cavities filled in time,you don't need any root canal or crown unless you play a lo of contact sports.