U. of Utah Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flowerss

MS IV
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have heard that there are some real problems at the University of Utah, with hours, attendings, and work environment. Anyone else know any details about this?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed last year. Ranked UU uber-high on my list. HEard they worked harder than some, but I didnt think it was that out of range. Is this old gossip or new?

So, I have heard that there are some real problems at the University of Utah, with hours, attendings, and work environment. Anyone else know any details about this?

I have heard similar things from other med students at U of U but take that for what its worth. One thing I do know is that they are limited on some cases due to IHC (intermountain health care) controling certain procedures in the Utah valley. you will not do transplants IE liver/lung due to this issue as well as other procedures.

Transplants and cases: Started doing livers last year. Also does lung and heart transplants. I'm not aware of anything that IHC "controls" that prevents Utah from doing. The residents do plenty of hearts and most do a one month cardiac elective at LDS Hospital (an IHC facility). Do you have any concrete examples, somedumbDO?

Hours: 60-65 per week roughly. Everyone from residents to the powers that be are concerned about hours getting too high.

Atmosphere: Excellent. A well-adjusted, happy group of residents.

Attendings: Will vary, as they do everywhere, but the residents generally speak highly of the attendings.

Strengths: TEE. Several residents take the TEE boards each year. No resident has failed the TEE boards yet. Written board score averages for each class seem to run close to the 90th percentile. Several residents taking the boards at the beginning of their CA2 year scored high enough to pass. Other strengths include regional, neuro.

Weaknesses: Not much penetrating trauma in Salt Lake City. I don't think the lack of penetrating trauma is necessarily a bad thing. Utah is still a level I trauma center.

Utah is not in the same league as MGH or UCSF, but it is a very strong program that turns out excellent anesthesiologists and Salt Lake is an awesome place to live, especially if you like the outdoors.