U of T recognized as challenging

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
typical eastern canadian attitude thinking that toronto is the center of the universe.... uoft is the best... the hardest... oh woe is us.

get over yourselves.

Members don't see this ad.

leviathan said:
Now you've opened up another can of worms. What makes it the best school in Canada? Is it the small 2000 student class sizes? I'm pretty sure other schools have done better. Is it the competitiveness of the school? UBC has had the highest average (the only factor for admission in Canadian schools) for the past few years for most faculties. Is it the research? UofT probably has the most research being done, but how does that correlate to good teaching for students? Overall, that's a pretty definite response for such a subjective question...it depends on what kind of school you're looking for as an undergrad, and most of the major universities in Canada are just as good as one another in their quality of education.

I think UofT is regarded as the best school in Canada by many. However, this is mainly because of the amount of research conducted at UofT every year. I think I read somewhere that UofT publishes the most papers in North America, next to Harvard. As far as undergrad goes, I can't really see how large class sizes and a University that will barely lift a finger to help its undergrads makes it the best. UofT's reputation is based mainly on its research, not how well it teaches undergrads. That being said, I don't think that anyone will give extra credit for attending UofT over another Canadian school. I think adcomms in the US will look at all Canadian schools the same.

gregMD said:
typical eastern canadian attitude thinking that toronto is the center of the universe.... uoft is the best... the hardest... oh woe is us.

get over yourselves.

Why is it that people from the west hate Toronto so much? What's so great about the West?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maurizio said:
Why is it that people from the west hate Toronto so much? What's so great about the West?

I don't know - all of Canada is great and nothing against the Western parts of Canada for sure. But Toronto is Canada's New York, London, Paris etc. Can't deny us that.

Cosmopolitan, progressive, liberal, international - the future is born out of cities like Toronto! Not edmonton.heehee. :laugh:

xylem29 said:
I don't know - all of Canada is great and nothing against the Western parts of Canada for sure. But Toronto is Canada's New York, London, Paris etc. Can't deny us that.

Cosmopolitan, progressive, liberal, international - the future is born out of cities like Toronto! Not edmonton.heehee. :laugh:

Good one :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin:

xylem29 said:

LOL I'm a big fan of Toronto too but...sheeesh. You're just reinforcing the city's rep for being incredibly "Toronto-centric". ;)

I can think of two other Canadian cities that aren't too shabby either.

I think Toronto has more going for it than most non-Torontonians realize...

...but not nearly as much as some Torontonians seem to think. :D

xylem29 said:

Toronto is Canada's "New York, London, Paris etc." only so far as it's the largest city in the country. The comparison pretty much ends there.

The people here can be ridiculous...I hope you were joking.

And as for "eastern" Canada having a problem...let's rephrase that. Eastern Canada is ATLANTIC Canada. Ontario is like...central.

xylem29 said:

This typifies why westerners dislike people from tronto: You're completely ignorant.

Too bad that your liberal, progressive hole in the wall is enjoying the subsidies coming from Alberta's wheat, beef and oil profits... and soon we'll be enjoying the extra income that will come from not paying any provincial income tax..... What is ontario contributing to our national economy, aside from re-electing liberal MPs who's sole purpose in life is to steal canadian taxpayer dollars?

but yeah...... sure.... ontario is where its at........ (and if you consult a map, you'll see that Manitoba is central canada)

Geez, is there a subtle civil war going on that I don't know about?? :smuggrin: I'm from Toronto, and I think it's a great city with its great ethnic diversity amongst other things, but at the same time, I wouldn't look down on other Canadian cities. I believe each city has its own characteristics along with its pluses and minuses, which in all make Canada an unique and great nation which I love. :)

gregMD said:
This typifies why westerners dislike people from tronto: You're completely ignorant.

Too bad that your liberal, progressive hole in the wall is enjoying the subsidies coming from Alberta's wheat, beef and oil profits... and soon we'll be enjoying the extra income that will come from not paying any provincial income tax..... What is ontario contributing to our national economy, aside from re-electing liberal MPs who's sole purpose in life is to steal canadian taxpayer dollars?

but yeah...... sure.... ontario is where its at........ (and if you consult a map, you'll see that Manitoba is central canada)

Let me start by saying I love every part of Canada, from east to west. I have a couple of freinds from alberta, and although I have never been there I would love to see it (I hear Calgary is really nice). That being said, there is no way Ontario takes any aid from Alberta. Sure, most of our oil comes from Alberta, and we pay through the nose for it (you guys aren't giving anything away). For years, Ontario has been the economic force that drives this country. There is more indistry in Southern Ontario than in the rest of Canada combined (this is just a fact). More money leaves Ontario than comes in every year (and I mean every year, for decades). You wanna talk about subsidies, how about Ontario paying for subsidies for everyone from farmers to fisherman. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Ontario has been blessed with a strong work force and being a part of the north american automotive industry. Therefor, we should help out our fisherman when they're a little down on there luck, or our beef farmers when the americans close the borders (so I don't know where all these profits from beef are coming from). So what is Ontario contributing to the national economy? oh I don't know, how about subsidies after subsidies and more subsidies. If there is anyone who is ingorant, its you! I hope all westerners aren't the same.

Maurizio said:
Let me start by saying I love every part of Canada, from east to west. I have a couple of freinds from alberta, and although I have never been there I would love to see it (I hear Calgary is really nice). That being said, there is no way Ontario takes any aid from Alberta. Sure, most of our oil comes from Alberta, and we pay through the nose for it (you guys aren't giving anything away). For years, Ontario has been the economic force that drives this country. There is more indistry in Southern Ontario than in the rest of Canada combined (this is just a fact). More money leaves Ontario than comes in every year (and I mean every year, for decades). You wanna talk about subsidies, how about Ontario paying for subsidies for everyone from farmers to fisherman. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Ontario has been blessed with a strong work force and being a part of the north american automotive industry. Therefor, we should help out our fisherman when they're a little down on there luck, or our beef farmers when the americans close the borders (so I don't know where all these profits from beef are coming from). So what is Ontario contributing to the national economy? oh I don't know, how about subsidies after subsidies and more subsidies. If there is anyone who is ingorant, its you! I hope all westerners aren't the same.

is this why ontario was bitching about profit sharing in alberta's oil profits? I believe that ontario is on the verge of becoming one of the provinces that is going to RECIEVE transfer payments, instead of put money in - and in the past 5 years, the actual amount of money that ontario has contributed to transfer payments had diminished considerably.

And let me tell you, your province is doing nothing for our beef farmers....

gregMD said:
is this why ontario was bitching about profit sharing in alberta's oil profits? I believe that ontario is on the verge of becoming one of the provinces that is going to RECIEVE transfer payments, instead of put money in - and in the past 5 years, the actual amount of money that ontario has contributed to transfer payments had diminished considerably.

And let me tell you, your province is doing nothing for our beef farmers....

First, it will be a long time before Ontario recieves more money than it gives out. Why you "believe that ontario is on the verge of becoming one of the provinces that is going to RECIEVE transfer payments, instead of put money in" is beyond me. Ontario is still the richest province in the country and will remain so for a long time. The reason we bitch about profit sharing is because we've been sharing with much of the country for years (and years and years...) and it's about time that Alberta begins to do the same (instead of keeping it all for themselves). Alberta seems to be a little reluctant to provide subsidies to the rest of the country unless it's forced to by the federal government. I really doubt that Ontario will NEED Alberta in the near future. Sure, we're better off if Alberta decides to share, but we don't NEED it. Maybe someday Alberta will be the economic leader of this country, but NOT today. Ontario drives this country and it always has.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maurizio said:
First, it will be a long time before Ontario recieves more money than it gives out. Why you "believe that ontario is on the verge of becoming one of the provinces that is going to RECIEVE transfer payments, instead of put money in" is beyond me. Ontario is still the richest province in the country and will remain so for a long time. The reason we bitch about profit sharing is because we've been sharing with much of the country for years (and years and years...) and it's about time that Alberta begins to do the same (instead of keeping it all for themselves). Alberta seems to be a little reluctant to provide subsidies to the rest of the country unless it's forced to by the federal government. I really doubt that Ontario will NEED Alberta in the near future. Sure, we're better off if Alberta decides to share, but we don't NEED it. Maybe someday Alberta will be the economic leader of this country, but NOT today. Ontario drives this country and it always has.

Alberta has the highest GDP per capita of any province in canada. Further, we've got the lowest unemployment rate, and are debt free - not to mention the $8Billion surplus we had last year. So only in your mind does ontario drive the country - and last i checked, we just elected a western based government... looks like TODAY, we're driving the country.

gregMD said:
Alberta has the highest GDP per capita of any province in canada. Further, we've got the lowest unemployment rate, and are debt free - not to mention the $8Billion surplus we had last year. So only in your mind does ontario drive the country - and last i checked, we just elected a western based government... looks like TODAY, we're driving the country.

I admit that Alberta does have the highest GDP per capita, that's great for alberta. Ontario has the highest GDP, period. Ontario represents 39% of the Canadian population and 42% of Canada's GDP. So for now, we're still the big boys on the block, period. As for the western based government. This government will probably not last long. The fact is that the majority of the Canadian population resides in the the eastern part of the country, and for know we'll consider everything east of Manitoba the eastern part (rememeber 39% in Ontario). So, basically, this "western" government will stay in power for as long as eastern Canada lets it. Once we change our minds there's very little western Canada can do. Sorry, it's not today (probably not tomorrow either). I suggest you live with it.

That being said people in Ontario really do love BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and even Alberta (even if we do come across as a little arrogant sometimes). However, it has become painfully obvious that the west doesn't feel the same about us. We can disagree, that's fine, but some people (not all) really have a hate on for the east (Ontario in particular). Maybe we should focus on being ONE country, together. However, you (and many like you) seem like you will not be happy until Alberta "controls" the country (what's next, world domination). Well, it's not gonna happen, not TODAY.

Another thing, isn't Stephen Harper from Toronto? Who was the last Alberta born PM. Wasn't it Joe Clark. How long did he last? wasn't it only 8 months.

Maurizio said:
I admit that Alberta does have the highest GDP per capita, that's great for alberta. Ontario has the highest GDP, period. Ontario represents 39% of the Canadian population and 42% of Canada's GDP. So for now, we're still the big boys on the block, period. As for the western based government. This government will probably not last long. The fact is that the majority of the Canadian population resides in the the eastern part of the country, and for know we'll consider everything east of Manitoba the eastern part (rememeber 39% in Ontario). So, basically, this "western" government will stay in power for as long as eastern Canada lets it. Once we change our minds there's very little western Canada can do. Sorry, it's not today (probably not tomorrow either). I suggest you live with it.

That being said people in Ontario really do love BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and even Alberta (even if we do come across as a little arrogant sometimes). However, it has become painfully obvious that the west doesn't feel the same about us. We can disagree, that's fine, but some people (not all) really have a hate on for the east (Ontario in particular). Maybe we should focus on being ONE country, together. However, you (and many like you) seem like you will not be happy until Alberta "controls" the country (what's next, world domination). Well, it's not gonna happen, not TODAY.

Another thing, isn't Stephen Harper from Toronto? Who was the last Alberta born PM. Wasn't it Joe Clark. How long did he last? wasn't it only 8 months.

Firstly, world domination is within our grasp.

Sedondly, I do not hate eastern canada - I simply cannot believe that you continue to elect Liberal MPs that have done nothing for our country for the last 13 years - thanks to Toronto and Montreal, Liberals pissed away something to the tune of 100 billion dollars in a sponsorship program designed to line liberal pockets - and this doesn't take into account the 1 billion dollars lost by heritage minister Jane Stewart under Jean Chrétien's rein of terror...

This is on top of the fact that Liberals do absolutely nothing for the west but continue to give us the royal screw - Liberal governments dont support our farmers, they pass gun laws that fail to reduce gun crimes and cost taxpayers 400 million dollars in the process (id say this is particularly relevant to people in toronto given the record number of gun related homicides in 2005)... i could go on for ever about how the liberals have pissed away my hard earned money. Yet election after election, two cities - TWO in all of canada (toronto and montréal), basically decided not to use their heads and voted for the Liberals. Its mind blowing.

As for you all deciding to "allow" the Conservatives to govern, i'm afraid that the rest of Canada, and Quebec decided to let them govern, and i seriously doubt that we'll be seeing another liberal majority any time soon. Especially if the Conservatives do what they've said they will: cut the GST, cut income tax, etc. These are all good things for Canadians. Name one good thing that the liberals did for us in their 13 years of tyranny?

Its pretty hard to feel like ONE country when toronto has more seats in parliament than all of western canada combined. Its no wonder westerners feel like their needs are under represented.

gregMD said:
Firstly, world domination is within our grasp.

Sedondly, I do not hate eastern canada - I simply cannot believe that you continue to elect Liberal MPs that have done nothing for our country for the last 13 years - thanks to Toronto and Montreal, Liberals pissed away something to the tune of 100 billion dollars in a sponsorship program designed to line liberal pockets - and this doesn't take into account the 1 billion dollars lost by heritage minister Jane Stewart under Jean Chrétien's rein of terror...

This is on top of the fact that Liberals do absolutely nothing for the west but continue to give us the royal screw - Liberal governments dont support our farmers, they pass gun laws that fail to reduce gun crimes and cost taxpayers 400 million dollars in the process (id say this is particularly relevant to people in toronto given the record number of gun related homicides in 2005)... i could go on for ever about how the liberals have pissed away my hard earned money. Yet election after election, two cities - TWO in all of canada (toronto and montréal), basically decided not to use their heads and voted for the Liberals. Its mind blowing.

As for you all deciding to "allow" the Conservatives to govern, i'm afraid that the rest of Canada, and Quebec decided to let them govern, and i seriously doubt that we'll be seeing another liberal majority any time soon. Especially if the Conservatives do what they've said they will: cut the GST, cut income tax, etc. These are all good things for Canadians. Name one good thing that the liberals did for us in their 13 years of tyranny?

Its pretty hard to feel like ONE country when toronto has more seats in parliament than all of western canada combined. Its no wonder westerners feel like their needs are under represented.

Toronto has more seats in parliment because it's the biggest city in the country (its just numbers). As for electing liberal MP's, you'll get no argument that they screwed up, and they're now being punished for it. However, the majority of the country still believes that liberals can do a better job of governing than conservatives can. Most voted conservative to punish the liberals, not to reward the conservatives. And yes, your correct, Toronto did not "allow" conservatives to govern. I said the east did, which includes parts of northern Ontario. The "fragile" minority that Harper was given shows the short leash Eastern Canada has put him on. As for Ontario, we had 8 years of a provincial conservative government that left this province with alot of problems (which we won't go into here). So excuse us if we don't sing the conservative praises.

I'll admit the liberals made mistakes and they need to clean up there act, but I wouldn't call Jean Chrétien's time as PM a rein of terror. After all, wasn't it Stephen Harper who supported sending Canadian troops to Iraq, how much would that of cost us. The only reason Harper can do what he claims he will (not all of which I agree with) is because of a surplus provided by the liberal government. The gun laws passed by the liberal government are very significant (at least to people in Toronto), considering that 40% of all gun crimes are committed using guns stolen from legal owners (thus the need to ban handguns all together).

The point I was making is not that liberals can govern better than conservatives (which I personally feel they can), it was that the deciding votes remain in the east, and Ontario is a huge part of that. I say that Toronto drives the Canadian economy, because it does. These are the numbers. We have a greater population and contribute more to the countries overall wealth than any other province. I'm sorry that people out west feel that they're underepresented but its just numbers. If 39% of the population and 42% of the national gdp is from Ontario don't you think we deserve a few more seats than a province with 9% of the population. It just amazes me how westerners seem to overlook this.

Now I will be away from my computer for a couple of hours, but I would love to continue this argument when I get back. So don't be afraid to leave another message.

"I simply cannot believe that you continue to elect Liberal MPs that have done nothing for our country for the last 13 years - thanks to Toronto and Montreal, Liberals pissed away something to the tune of 100 billion dollars in a sponsorship program designed to line liberal pockets - and this doesn't take into account the 1 billion dollars lost by heritage minister Jane Stewart under Jean Chrétien's rein of terror... "

where from did you get 100 bilion number ?
are you ready to accept that is wrong ?
all politicians are the same.
what harper did first ?
1. imitating the liberals (remember belinda ?) hi uses a turncoat.
2. after bashing UNELECTED senators he NOMINATED (not elected) a montreal guy as senator and put him in the goverment. he did this to allow responsability to rein - as he promised during the campaign !!! the only problem is this guy is not elected so the people of canada cannot ask him anything. plus, this guy worked in montreal and did a lousy job (how many PC candidates were elected in montreal ?)

so harper perfectly imitated liberals. normal, all politicians lie pretending to be very moral.
is not their fault. the faul is of the guys that believe them.

gregMD said:
\Liberals pissed away something to the tune of 100 billion dollars in a sponsorship program designed to line liberal pockets

Dude, that's 100 "M"illion. Small change compared to Mulroney's Conservatives. And maybe the reason why Toronto voted for the Liberals is because they have a coherent agenda for urban revival and actually started to deliver on it, something the Conservatives glaringly lack. Considering most of our GDP is produced by Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal, shouldn't supporting our cities be a primary goal?

back to the original topic.

i have lived in toronto for 4 years now and i love it and its diverstiy.

u of t rocks :thumbup:

having attended u of t for 3 of those years i have to say i have heard every arguemnet that u of t is harder than other school and i admit at some point i was an advocate of those agruements. however, i have come to realise that we are the makers of our own destiny and to blame the school you came from for bad grades doent cut it. i think that most adcoms realise this.

the reason i say that is because even though the averages are low there are alwasys at least 15-20% of students in those classes who get over 80% every year including first year. the other reason is that when you look at the students in medical schools there are a comparable share of them form u of t and sometimes relatively more than other schools which means that there are other ppl who are making it and so can you.

i know its hard to look within and say that your at fault for bad marks but its the first step to correcting whats wrong and gettin high marks. i hav found that if you use the right methods of study it can be the easiest univestiy to do well in.

Do any of you know what is the addmition requiremebr for 2007 my US GPA in highschool as if now Junior year is 3.5 !?!?!? Wat does that say .... 2 the people in UofT do i have a chance of gettting in??? :scared: :eek: :mad:

UofT_girl said:
Do any of you know what is the addmition requiremebr for 2007 my US GPA in highschool as if now Junior year is 3.5 !?!?!? Wat does that say .... 2 the people in UofT do i have a chance of gettting in??? :scared: :eek: :mad:
I have no idea what sort of gpa is needed for students from American high schools. I don't know if this still applies, but back when I went to UofT I had to apply to and be accepted by one of its component colleges. And each college had different admissions standards. Trinity's admission cutoff was supposed to be very high and those of the other old colleges (University, St. Michael's and Victoria) were also supposed to be fairly high. Innis, New and Woodsworth cutoffs were lower and the two non-St. George campus colleges (Scarborough and Mississauga) were supposed to be, relatively speaking, easy to get into.

You might want to make sure that at least one of your choices is a less competitive college.

Good luck.

You don't need crazy high HS marks to get into U of T - just don't pick Trinity to be your college and you're pretty much a shoe in.

Back to the east vs west debate.

The comparison I made with Toronto as being Canada's New York is accurate - I'm not saying that Toronto is comparable to New York or Paris - Toronto is not even comparable to Hong Kong - I'll admit, it is not a "world class city". BUT - it is Canada's New York (if you understand what I mean by that).

Now with regards to Alberta and ON - it doesn't even matter which province drives Canada's economy - of course Alberta is very important, that I will not deny. What I meant was that Toronto, much like Vancouver - is the closest thing Canada has in terms of world class cities. I'm sure that edmonton is great too - but where else can guys walk around freely with high heels and make up during the day? Toronto is Canada's cultural centre - there's a certain dynamic that exists in this city because of it's international essence that edmonton or calgary does not have. I'm not saying Toronto is better. I'm pointing out differences. Resisting same-sex marriage is simply backwards - society is already moving foward - it's the 21st century - government's can't stop natural societal progresses...people should realize that.

To be international, progressive, cosmopolitan does not imply "better-ness", it's simply how humanity moves forward - hence, the future comes from us! :laugh:

I tottaly Agree wif Toronto being Canada's NewYork. I :love: T.Dot!!!!!
Its the greatest city love it love it love it. And i hate my rents for moving from t.o to this **** hole. I hate chicago and the Subusbs!!!!
GETTING INTO UofT is my last hope 2 go bakk.
I REALLLY HOPE I CAN GET IN!!!!!!but im not sure bout my GPA at all 3.5 alot of pl have like 3.7-4 and mine isnt to high.
Well i have to hope for the best :confused: :scared:

UofT_girl said:
I tottaly Agree wif Toronto being Canada's NewYork. I :love: T.Dot!!!!!
Its the greatest city love it love it love it. And i hate my rents for moving from t.o to this **** hole. I hate chicago and the Subusbs!!!!
GETTING INTO UofT is my last hope 2 go bakk.
I REALLLY HOPE I CAN GET IN!!!!!!but im not sure bout my GPA at all 3.5 alot of pl have like 3.7-4 and mine isnt to high.
Well i have to hope for the best :confused: :scared:

Hey UofT_girl

I really hope you'll get in. All the best of luck to you, girl :luck: :D
Hey, I'm curious as why you picked U of T for your Psychology program as opposed to other Canadian or American universities?

xylem29 said:
You don't need crazy high HS marks to get into U of T - just don't pick Trinity to be your college and you're pretty much a shoe in.

Back to the east vs west debate.

The comparison I made with Toronto as being Canada's New York is accurate - I'm not saying that Toronto is comparable to New York or Paris - Toronto is not even comparable to Hong Kong - I'll admit, it is not a "world class city". BUT - it is Canada's New York (if you understand what I mean by that).

Now with regards to Alberta and ON - it doesn't even matter which province drives Canada's economy - of course Alberta is very important, that I will not deny. What I meant was that Toronto, much like Vancouver - is the closest thing Canada has in terms of world class cities. I'm sure that edmonton is great too - but where else can guys walk around freely with high heels and make up during the day? Toronto is Canada's cultural centre - there's a certain dynamic that exists in this city because of it's international essence that edmonton or calgary does not have. I'm not saying Toronto is better. I'm pointing out differences. Resisting same-sex marriage is simply backwards - society is already moving foward - it's the 21st century - government's can't stop natural societal progresses...people should realize that.

To be international, progressive, cosmopolitan does not imply "better-ness", it's simply how humanity moves forward - hence, the future comes from us! :laugh:

Edmonton is s SIHT hole. Calgary is getting up there. I would not mind moving to Calgary. But I much more prefer Vancouver. Alberta is nothing without the oil and that load noised Ralphy!

You missed one very important city which has more culture then grumpy people TORONTO. My opinion Canada's NY would be MONTREAL.

I personally don't LOVE living in Toronto. I find it plain and missing culture. I find the majority of people in Toront are unhappy and only care about work work work. I also don't fancy the lack of social life, cultural life activity in TO.

My pics would be the following:

1) Vancouver
2) Montreal
3) Toronto

Toronto would be much better up there if it had some more true culture to it. I don't mean multiculturalism, there is already LOTS OF THAT.

cheer_up said:
Hey UofT_girl

I really hope you'll get in. All the best of luck to you, girl :luck: :D
Hey, I'm curious as why you picked U of T for your Psychology program as opposed to other Canadian or American universities?

I live in Toronto the past 4 years. And I love it. I dont kno why exacly University of Toronto. But there is something about that school. The moment i stepped on that campus i knew that this is the place i better end up or i will fail in life. I kno its a lil paronoid and i should have more options. But i think it is also cuz my rents keep saying to stop wanting to go to UofT and i do evrything that they say not to so that is pushing me more, its like this crazy Desire to go 2 UofT!!!!!! I realllly want to go !!!! :love:

UofT_girl said:
I live in Toronto the past 4 years. And I love it. I dont kno why exacly University of Toronto. But there is something about that school. The moment i stepped on that campus i knew that this is the place i better end up or i will fail in life. I kno its a lil paronoid and i should have more options. But i think it is also cuz my rents keep saying to stop wanting to go to UofT and i do evrything that they say not to so that is pushing me more, its like this crazy Desire to go 2 UofT!!!!!! I realllly want to go !!!! :love:

If you happen to get into UofT, I'd suggest you pick up an English course while you're there............

gregMD said:
If you happen to get into UofT, I'd suggest you pick up an English course while you're there............

OMG...who cares how she writes when she is replying in a forum....it is not like she is writing a thesis. not many people have time to look over their post and check every small detail. If you can understand what people are saying, what else matters.

i think there should only be constructive replies, otherwise you are flooding the boards.

But hey, what do i know

riDer said:
back to the original topic.

i have lived in toronto for 4 years now and i love it and its diverstiy.

u of t rocks :thumbup:

having attended u of t for 3 of those years i have to say i have heard every arguemnet that u of t is harder than other school and i admit at some point i was an advocate of those agruements. however, i have come to realise that we are the makers of our own destiny and to blame the school you came from for bad grades doent cut it. i think that most adcoms realise this.

the reason i say that is because even though the averages are low there are alwasys at least 15-20% of students in those classes who get over 80% every year including first year. the other reason is that when you look at the students in medical schools there are a comparable share of them form u of t and sometimes relatively more than other schools which means that there are other ppl who are making it and so can you.

i know its hard to look within and say that your at fault for bad marks but its the first step to correcting whats wrong and gettin high marks. i hav found that if you use the right methods of study it can be the easiest univestiy to do well in.

Really a solid point.

Geez these UofT threads get crazy.

Look, I can offer a bit of insight as I did my BSc at St. George and also took science courses at UTSC, Waterloo, Guelph and York for various reasons. None of the courses (except for orgo at UTSC) approached any of the St. George campus courses (well, maybe just BIO150) in terms of difficulty. This isn't just related to the sometimes ridiculous tests downtown; it's also related to the volume and depth of the material. Saying the class averages at York or anywhere else are also 65% (which is often true) is meaningless without a discussion of the calibre of students and the course outlines/expectations.

Think about it: the number of individual life sci programs offered downtown is unmatched at any institution in North America. Don't believe me, look here and try and find another with more. Remember to look within each broad program category e.g. Biology, as well as there are "subprograms" as well. Clearly a student in an Immunology specialist program will be expected to know more immunology and at a greater depth than one in a micro+immuno program (as is found nearly everywhere else) or a straight bio program. The same goes for the molecular genetics program, or nutrition, or pathology, or physiology (which has a theoretical stream and others). The list goes on. And the grading policy for the Faculty of Arts and Science is true.

Is UofT the hardest place to do a life sci undergrad in Canada. It likely is, but nobody's completed degrees at every school so definitive proof won't be forthcoming. Keep in mind that UofT had the 2nd or 3rd highest entering avg in Canada according to Maclean's while being by far the largest school (more spots) and with large humanities/social sci/suburban campuses that have lower admission standards. I'm not going to get into class sizes or the quality of teaching as that isn't the topic here.

Now the big question is whether it will help you get into meds. In Canada, the general answer is no, though UofT does consider the academic rigor of the applicant's program, whatever that means. It won't help you in the US either if your GPA isn't competitive to begin with. Nobody will take a UofT grad with 3.2 over someone else from a reputable school that has a 3.7, everything else being equal. UofT meds grads are highly regarded in the US, but that's at a different stage of the career ladder.

As for the Ontario vs Alberta thing, do some research. Both provinces are the only have provinces in the country and thus rather than taking from the other, they are the only ones that contribute to the equalization payments.

lil jon said:
Geez these UofT threads get crazy.

Look, I can offer a bit of insight as I did my BSc at St. George and also took science courses at UTSC, Waterloo, Guelph and York for various reasons. None of the courses (except for orgo at UTSC) approached any of the St. George campus courses (well, maybe just BIO150) in terms of difficulty. This isn't just related to the sometimes ridiculous tests downtown; it's also related to the volume and depth of the material. Saying the class averages at York or anywhere else are also 65% (which is often true) is meaningless without a discussion of the calibre of students and the course outlines/expectations.

Think about it: the number of individual life sci programs offered downtown is unmatched at any institution in North America. Don't believe me, look here and try and find another with more. Remember to look within each broad program category e.g. Biology, as well as there are "subprograms" as well. Clearly a student in an Immunology specialist program will be expected to know more immunology and at a greater depth than one in a micro+immuno program (as is found nearly everywhere else) or a straight bio program. The same goes for the molecular genetics program, or nutrition, or pathology, or physiology (which has a theoretical stream and others). The list goes on. And the grading policy for the Faculty of Arts and Science is true.

Is UofT the hardest place to do a life sci undergrad in Canada. It likely is, but nobody's completed degrees at every school so definitive proof won't be forthcoming. Keep in mind that UofT had the 2nd or 3rd highest entering avg in Canada according to Maclean's while being by far the largest school (more spots) and with large humanities/social sci/suburban campuses that have lower admission standards. I'm not going to get into class sizes or the quality of teaching as that isn't the topic here.

Now the big question is whether it will help you get into meds. In Canada, the general answer is no, though UofT does consider the academic rigor of the applicant's program, whatever that means. It won't help you in the US either if your GPA isn't competitive to begin with. Nobody will take a UofT grad with 3.2 over someone else from a reputable school that has a 3.7, everything else being equal. UofT meds grads are highly regarded in the US, but that's at a different stage of the career ladder.

As for the Ontario vs Alberta thing, do some research. Both provinces are the only have provinces in the country and thus rather than taking from the other, they are the only ones that contribute to the equalization payments.

HAAAWHAT??!?

Didn't read thru the entire thread, but just thought I'd correct the OP.
UBC ranked the top 10 (8th) in all of North America for it's research!
UT didn't even come on till after 10!!

UBC RePreSeNT!

lol..

To the last poster, I would like to know where you got your information from. According to this website http://www.researchinfosource.com/media/2005-top50-sup.pdf University of Toronto ranks 1st in research and UBC ranks 4th.

FungManX said:
Didn't read thru the entire thread, but just thought I'd correct the OP.
UBC ranked the top 10 (8th) in all of North America for it's research!
UT didn't even come on till after 10!!

UBC RePreSeNT!

lol..

wow.. I am so impressed.. everyone knows how to do google search.

Good jOb.

If you have doughts about UofT being the best in research, especially medical research, then maybe you should come down and take a look around. Sorry I don't have a website link or article or whatever... You can google and look things up. But if you have trouble believing this, even after asking deans at any institution in Canada... then you have problems.

Haha UT represaaaaanteeeeee!

I was wondering where that guy got his info from myself - U of T has been ranked #1 by Maclean's for the Doctorate/Medicine category for the last I dunno how many years...

Yay, go U of T !!! :thumbup:

docbill said:

According to UBC, we have the most research funding per capita in Canada, and the second most in N. America (after Harvard). I don't think UofT is much larger than UBC to overcome that fact. Who really cares?

leviathan said:
According to UBC, we have the most research funding per capita in Canada, and the second most in N. America (after Harvard). I don't think UofT is much larger than UBC to overcome that fact. Who really cares?
According to this link, UBC comes, not first, but ninth...after McGill, INRS, UofT, UdeM, UofA, McMaster, Queen's and Laval (in that order).

These figures are based on sponsored research income per full-time faculty, not students. But a couple of these schools (like McGill for example) have higher faculty to student ratios than UBC. So if by "per capita", your UBC source meant "per student", UBC's showing relative to at least a couple of these schools would be even worse.

Where did you get your info...from UBC's Public Affairs Office?

Remember, these are the folks who made a big deal of a UBC Computer Science team wiping the floor with teams from CalTech, Berkeley and Stanford in a major Computer Science competition a couple of years ago. UBC Public Affairs even did a story on it in UBC Reports claiming that it showed how strong UBC Computer Science was. Impressive stuff, huh? Public Affairs neglected to mention that the entire dream-team was made up of exchange students from a German university. (A team of regular UBC students took part too...but it was trounced just like all the other North American teams.) Oops.

Research funding figures don't always tell the whole story. German universities are underfunded by Canadian (and even more so by American) standards. But some of them produce excellent students in some programs.

brightblueeyes said:
According to this link, UBC comes, not first, but ninth...after McGill, INRS, UofT, UdeM, UofA, McMaster, Queen's and Laval (in that order).

These figures are based on sponsored research income per full-time faculty, not students. But a couple of these schools (like McGill for example) have higher faculty to student ratios than UBC. So if by "per capita", your UBC source meant "per student", UBC's showing relative to at least a couple of these schools would be even worse.

Where did you get your info...from UBC's Public Affairs Office?
Yeah, so it's not a surprise if it is in fact biased or based on certain assumptions.

Research funding figures don't always tell the whole story. German universities are underfunded by Canadian (and even more so by American) standards. But some of them produce excellent students in some programs.
I agree with this, just countering someone else's statement. I read your link and find the results interesting since I've read OTHER reports that are completely different from both my statement and that one. I don't think any of those can be trusted sources since we have 3 conflicting reports, and I am curious where UBC came up with that data as being 2nd to Harvard for research funding.

The story depends on what you look at: medical research vs. all research, funding vs. productivity, etc.

DocBill's post is the only one that looks at output or productivity, and you can see from http://www.provost.utoronto.ca/English/A5-Research-Publications-and-Citations.html that when it comes to research output, UofT is in a class of its own in Canada and competes with top US public and private schools.

cheech10 said:
The story depends on what you look at: medical research vs. all research, funding vs. productivity, etc.

DocBill's post is the only one that looks at output or productivity, and you can see from http://www.provost.utoronto.ca/English/A5-Research-Publications-and-Citations.html that when it comes to research output, UofT is in a class of its own in Canada and competes with top US public and private schools.

I will not post any more about this here. Cause some people want to compare balls/ovaries.

But I will say that I am at UofT (PhD student) and I am involved in the School of Graduate Study (Covers all fields). How many of you posting on here are grad students (phd level) and how many know what the hell they are talking about)?

docbill said:
I will not post any more about this here. Cause some people want to compare balls/ovaries.

But I will say that I am at UofT (PhD student) and I am involved in the School of Graduate Study (Covers all fields). How many of you posting on here are grad students (phd level) and how many know what the hell they are talking about)?

I am also a PhD student at UofT. I also have freinds who have gone on to faculty positions at UBC, Calgary, UWO, Queens, and Mcgill. My fiancee is also an assistant prof. at a large American University. Most of these people have completed degrees at variuos schools across Canada. From my experience UofT is the top research university in the country, for the very reason that the school is driven by research. No other school (with exception of maybe Mcgill) in Canada puts as much pressure on its faculty to publish. This is probably the reason that UofT publishes the most papers in the North America (next to Harvard). UofT is constantly pushing for publications, in terms of both quality and quantity. This doesn't take away from any of the other schools across Canada, but the shear size of UofT gives it the resources to be the top research university in the country. Many times when travelling to conferences, as a Masters student and now as a PhD student, I have been told by international colleagues that UofT (and Mcgill) stands out among Canadian schools for its reputation as a research university. Honestly, most international researchers would be hard pressed to name another Canadian university, other than UofT and Mcgill. This is from personal experience.

docbill said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin:

cutiepie83 said:
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if U of T is recognized in the US for its challenging education? I graduated with a 3.02 and am applying to several schools in the US, and I would like to know if they do look at the school from which I graduated and assess my GPA relatively.

To return to the OP: do not expect any US school to give you bonus points for going to U of T. The discussion here is wasting time debating the relative merits of Canadian schools.

The truth is that most admissions committees in the US have no idea about Canadian schools. Sure, I went to a very challenging school, I was proud of my 3.5 GPA or however it came out on AMCAS, with 180 credit hours of difficult courses. Every school says they weigh the difficulty of your program - not true. No admissions committee gave a crap about that. In general, they know the big-name US schools and maybe they know U of T and McGill by name. They know the schools within their own state very well, and that's where they will weigh program difficulty. They will also know about grade inflation at some of the Ivies, for example.

Having gone to U of T will not be enough to rescue a 3.0. I hope the rest of your application is very strong, and that you have chosen a realistic range of schools to apply to.

good luck.