Types of orthopedic research I can do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahk7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am an incoming M1 and currently interested in ortho. I was wondering how do you find research in this field and what typ of research projects can you start or look into. I want clinical research over bench. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

The orthopedic department at your school will have faculty members looking to recruit for projects. Start by emailing these individuals with your CV and interest in Orthopedic Surgery.

I first recommend (for your success with research) that you resist the urge to be part of the “first wave fever” of people scrambling for research on day 1. It’s infeasible because you’re cashing checks and making commitments before you even know how medical school’s going to work. Keep your ears open and don’t turn down a golden/unicorn opportunity, but it’s very doubtful they present themselves. Take at least a solid 2-3 months to get adjusted to the pace and rigor of your curriculum, make friends/network, etc., and do all that stuff. There will come a point where you’ll realize that 1-3 hours of your day can be spent doing something else (ie -chart review) if you stay focused throughout the day. At that point, reach out to these department chairs/ortho research faculty.

Be flexible. If one person says no, ask if they can link you to someone else. They often can. The easiest thing is getting the first project. The most important thing though is following up and meeting the deadlines expected of that faculty and his lackeys (often other medical students/residents) so that you can get more research. That’s basically how it works.

You could/should have merged these threads together:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The orthopedic department at your school will have faculty members looking to recruit for projects. Start by emailing these individuals with your CV and interest in Orthopedic Surgery.

I first recommend (for your success with research) that you resist the urge to be part of the “first wave fever” of people scrambling for research on day 1. It’s infeasible because you’re cashing checks and making commitments before you even know how medical school’s going to work. Keep your ears open and don’t turn down a golden/unicorn opportunity, but it’s very doubtful they present themselves. Take at least a solid 2-3 months to get adjusted to the pace and rigor of your curriculum, make friends/network, etc., and do all that stuff. There will come a point where you’ll realize that 1-3 hours of your day can be spent doing something else (ie -chart review) if you stay focused throughout the day. At that point, reach out to these department chairs/ortho research faculty.

Be flexible. If one person says no, ask if they can link you to someone else. They often can. The easiest thing is getting the first project. The most important thing though is following up and meeting the deadlines expected of that faculty and his lackeys (often other medical students/residents) so that you can get more research. That’s basically how it works.

You could/should have merged these threads together:
Can second that. I reached out and asked at my school's ortho department already and got FULLY GHOSTED.

Can second that. I reached out and asked at my school's ortho department already and got FULLY GHOSTED.

Wait a few weeks when you start Their priority is getting third/fourth years research to match. You'll eventually find some. Resouces aren't limited and it's not a race (as you both know).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user