What is the most versatile field/type of research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huge_epic_gaming69

Reaction score
I'm currently an M0 interested in quite a few competitive but very different specialties, but I wanted to go ahead and start on the research grind while I narrow down what I'm really interested in. I'd like to start being productive as soon as I start no matter what my choice for residency ends up being, so I was wondering if there are any fields that are widely seen as relevant and/or valuable across all specialties. Or, if there's any type of research that really helps you iron out the skills you need to be productive in the next few years, I'd definitely be interested in starting that as well.

Public health or computational biology type research come to mind in my limited knowledge, but I was wondering what you all think would be good to pursue at this stage.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Of the specialties you're thinking about, are they surgical? non surgical? any common themes at all? I think that can help guide to some extent

If you're really super open as many M0s are, I'd just start with something you find interesting and can find a good mentor for. Is there any subject you find really interesting?

Of the specialties you're thinking about, are they surgical? non surgical? any common themes at all? I think that can help guide to some extent

If you're really super open as many M0s are, I'd just start with something you find interesting and can find a good mentor for. Is there any subject you find really interesting?
Oh I definitely got that M0 syndrome and am super open to most stuff. Interested in most surgical subspecialties, IR, and on the less competitive side, nephrology, ID, and oncology.

The unfortunate thing is during undergrad most of my experiences were nonclinical or basic science in nature (undergrad wasn't affiliated with a med school) and I only shadowed in family medicine, so I haven't yet been able to develop my specific interests that sharply.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of methodology, data science, machine learning, and AI by far.

Can be used across all medical specialties, econ, financial, sociology, poli sci etc.

Reactions: 1 users