types of EMT-B classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freethinker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen that many different kinds of places offer the EMT-B class. They range from hospitals, fire academies, community colleges, private ambulance training centers, etc. What are generally the relative strengths and weaknesses of each location?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen that many different kinds of places offer the EMT-B class. They range from hospitals, fire academies, community colleges, private ambulance training centers, etc. What are generally the relative strengths and weaknesses of each location?

At the EMT-B level, I'm not sure there are a ton of differences between training centers. There are a few I feel compelled to point out, though.
  1. Fire academies may close their courses off to the general public and require you to be affiliated with a municipal department before enrolling. That said, if you are sponsored by such a department, your training will probably be free.
  2. Community colleges are often a little less expensive and give you college credit.
  3. Private ambulances may offer deeply discounted (or free!) EMT training courses, but will then require a service commitment from you. If you break it, you pay back either a prorated amount or the entire cost of the course.
Since the majority of the course is didactic with practical skills stations, there isn't much in the name of "clinical experience" to be worried about. If your state requires clinical hours, the program will have an arrangement with an appropriate site. I'm sure others have input; this is just my off-the-cuff response.

Good luck!

What about the resources available to practice the skills? For instance, I've seen cut-up cars parked in front of some fire academies, but will a hospital or community college have access to those sorts of things to practice with? If not, does that mean the first time you rescue an accident victim, it's for real?:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
What about the resources available to practice the skills? For instance, I've seen cut-up cars parked in front of some fire academies, but will a hospital or community college have access to those sorts of things to practice with? If not, does that mean the first time you rescue an accident victim, it's for real?:eek:

The national curriculum set by the NHTSA (the minimum standard for EMT-B training) only suggests an hour spent on "gaining access" (extrication). The primary objective for EMT-B training is to drive home the point of safety and patient care. They don't care if you know how to actually remove the car from the patient, only that you know safety is number one and patient care can be done in the car. The only applicable skill that is suggested is removing patients from "simulated" vehicles. This can be done in any number of ways, most of which do not actually require a crashed up vehicle. The cognitive skill is that an EMT-B can determine when back up is needed for extrication. The objective of EMT-B training is patient care not vehicle extrication, this is done in other classes (Basic Vehicle Rescue, Roadway Rescue, and even Farm equipment rescue, etc.) which are usually taken later but do count as continuing education. And unless you are working for an agency that provides fire and EMS you probably won't actually be doing extrication anyway. I also always found the first time I did anything in the field it was way different than I how I trained and practiced.

Community colleges are usually partially subsidized, so you might save a few bucks. Plus you get credits and a (probably easy) A. Fire departments and hospitals run courses. There are two private, for-profit places that offer classes in my area, and one is an absolute mess. The other's excellent.

Some people in EMT classes are sent by work (security, police) or are just doing the class to increase their chances of getting hire by a fire department and some of these people have little interest in the content and can bring the class down.

Check your state's Health Dept. website. I took it for free! Paid $80 for the book and that was it. At a community college, you end up paying tuition.