[TX resident] 3.33 cGPA, 3.18 sGPA, no MCAT, maybe Post-bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Furballer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For Texas schools like UT: San Antonio or Houston, how are my chances with semester GPAs of:

Freshman: 3.12 3.12
Sophmore: 3.04 2.70 (took O-chem, Anatomy/Phys, Biochem same time)
Junior: 3.28 3.80
Senior: 3.775 ____(On track for a 3.9 or a 4.0 this semester depending on my Biochem retake)

ECs
-Big event team leader, two times. [Junior - Senior]
-Panel member for the honor court for over a year. [Junior - Senior]
-In the Chemistry Fraternity [Freshman]
-A lot of random one-time volunteer gigs. [4 years]
-2 semesters of working in a molecular biology lab. (10/h week) [Senior]
-1 semester of undergrad research credit. (4-5h/week) [This semester]
-Campus office job working for a Dean's office. [9-10h/week [Junior - Senior]

-54 hours of hospital volunteering
-20 hours of shadowing an orthopaedic surgeon (MD) and a physiatrist (DO).

MCAT:
Should receive my score from the Jan 27 test here in 2 weeks.:xf: Realistically what score would I need to be competitive for those two schools with my uptrend and GPA? I hope the adcoms see that I improved my semester GPAs while working 20 hours a week on top of 5 hours of volunteering or researching as well.

Edit: A reason for my low semester GPAs are from chemistry. If I retook just Chem 1 & 2 and used the ACOMAS GPA calc. it would put me at a 3.5 GPA, which is very tempting for Osteopathic schools; however, Texas in-state tuition can't be beaten.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For Texas schools like UT: San Antonio or Houston, how are my chances with semester GPAs of:

Senior: 3.775 ____(On track for a 3.9 or a 4.0 this semester depending on my Biochem retake)

ECs

MCAT:
Should receive my score from the Jan 27 test here in 2 weeks.:xf: Realistically what score would I need to be competitive for those two schools with my uptrend and GPA? I hope the adcoms see that I improved my semester GPAs while working 20 hours a week on top of 5 hours of volunteering or researching as well.

Edit: A reason for my low semester GPAs are from chemistry. If I retook just Chem 1 & 2 and used the ACOMAS GPA calc. it would put me at a 3.5 GPA, which is very tempting for Osteopathic schools; however, Texas in-state tuition can't be beaten.

Volunteering/shadowing is really low as well as GPA. Volunteer more and hope you get a good MCAT. And TCOM is in texas.

ECs

MCAT:

Your GPA is dramatically low. I understand DO schools can be expensive if they're not in the vicinity, but you could take advantage of grade replacement. Your GPA needs to improve. If you really want to go to an MD Texas school, definitely consider a Post Bac. 3.33 cGPA is a stretch man. But it is salvageable.

Really, for your GPA to be overlooked, you need to have gotten a phenomenal MCAT score, something over 33. But there's nothing you can do about that now.

Either way, it looks like you've got a fairly good idea of how you'll get into Medical School. Shadow more, do some volunteering if you want to do the DO route, and beef up research.

Best of luck!