Twitter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I definitely changed my habits but how does that make it political? If there is a snowstorm, I’ll likely wear a winter coat I don’t normally wear.
You changed habits based off the non-stop political reporting on the issue. You picked up a habit that you've never engaged in before based on a high amount of fearful political reporting. That's much different than wearing a coat when it's cold outside just as everyone has done for all of history.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is far from the approach you advocated for in the "unemployed due to SCOTUS" thread about the CMS mandate for mandatory vaccines. The vast majority of outspoken persons on that thread wished ill upon anyone who did not agree with them 100% on how to respond to the Covid crisis. Numerous people celebrated the deaths of people who refused to get vaccinated and applauded when those who chose not to get vaccinated lost their jobs. I suggested compassion and understanding and you were one of the ones who were adamant in shutting down any notion that people should try to be understanding and show compassion for those who may not be on board with taking a rushed through vaccine.
Now, you are asking people to let you "do your own thing" without comment or criticism. You say viruses should not be political after being part of the huge group on this forum who made it very political for the past 2 years.
I still advocate for compassion and understanding of those whose views differ from your own and agree with you on the quote you made above. It is very interesting that you now wish for your personal decisions to be respected when you and others did not offer the same to everyone else who did not share your enthusiasm for the new covid vaccine. Your posts could be featured on the Defiant L's Twitter account for how polar opposite they are today versus just a short time ago with regards to people respecting the rights of others.
In case you and others forgot that thread, here is a link:
Wow. You should work for Project Veritas. Good reporting. Really unfortunate how some people choose to act and then flip on a dime.

No, I put a link to so many of your previous statements which are counter to the request for "accepting your choices" that you have now made.
People who are still wearing masks, especially cloth masks, in public may have been irreversibly broken by Covid. Yes, it was very bad, but the worst is far behind us now and we must learn to move forward. If you think that people will forgive and forget for all of the terrible things that you said and did to people who disagreed with you (neither side was completely correct), you may be in for a surprise. Those who showed compassion for those on the opposite side from them will have much more credibility, at least in my eyes. You and several others on that thread displayed little to no regard for compassionate care for your patients and colleagues. My only hope is that it was simply social media blustering and that you did not actually treat your patients and colleagues with such disregard.
I know you know this and seem to be pretending not to but the choice to intentionally spread disease and also demand healthcare when you get sick under a collapsing healthcare system was not something that should have ever been respected or tolerated, then or now. Not even remotely relevant to whatever point you think you are making.

If we had a reliable and legal way to deny healthcare to those people I don't think anyone would have really cared about their collective decision to play Russian roulette, it was the coming to the hospital part after they shot themselves that pissed everyone off.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Calling you out from your moral high ground by showing your previous posts is not dying on a moral hill. It is just showing how you wish to have your cake and eat it too. You wish to demonize others who disagree with you while calling foul if someone disagrees with you. Don't try to play the victim when you were one of the bullies. And if you go back and read, I agreed with you regarding the efficacy of the vaccine (though I am not nearly as convinced as I once was), I just did not agree that those who disagreed with us should be demonized, denied care, or have their employment jeopardized.
How do I have a moral high ground when I’m telling you I could care less about a group of individuals?

I don’t care if they lose their jobs. I just don’t want any of them to get me sick. They can be republican, democrat, woke. Unfortunately, they are following beliefs stirred up by a certain sector which has nothing to do with science.

• Care
How do I have a moral high ground when I’m telling you I could care less about a group of individuals?

I don’t care if they lose their jobs. I just don’t want any of them to get me sick. They can be republican, democrat, woke. Unfortunately, they are following beliefs stirred up by a certain sector which has nothing to do with science.
Your moral high ground is that now, you wish to live and let live whereas before, you were grabbing your pitchfork with the others to condemn those who disagreed with you.

Reactions: 1 users
If we had a reliable and legal way to deny healthcare to those people I don't think anyone would have really cared about their collective decision to play Russian roulette, it was the coming to the hospital part after they shot themselves that pissed everyone off.
So, what you are looking for is a reliable and legal way to deny healthcare to those who disagree with your assessment of how to respond to a pandemic based on views of the efficacy of a brand new vaccine that many had a lot of hesitancy and mistrust about? And, if you had this reliable and legal way to deny care to that subgroup, am I to understand that you would take full advantage of that pathway? You have been pretty clear on the subject, I am just trying to make sure I am clear.

Yes, I’m ok with mandates and forcing people to get vaccinated.

That's because, in this case, they are mandating something that you personally don't have a problem with.

I would encourage you to think about a situation in which the mandate was for something you did have a problem with.

For instance, suppose there was a mandate for a microchip injection to allow you to be scanned at checkpoints for national security reasons due to a hypothetical geopolitical event in the future. Surely some people would not have a problem with this and others even support it and they may even scream at you and tell you are selfish and a danger to society for not complying. But what if you personally felt that it violated your autonomy?

Or suppose there was a mandate requiring your employer to drug test you every day at work. Even if you don't smoke marijuana, the government has made it impossible for people to hold a job and use weed recreationally. This is to prevent driving under the influence and save lives from car crashes by reducing the incidence of marijuana usage and functional alcoholism. You are selfish for not complying. Those who don't smoke weed or day drink don't care.

I could think of many examples.

With that said, I’m ok with wearing my mask and just have to make sure I have it on tight when I’m indoors around you people who feel the need to share germs.

Are you wearing an N95 or a regular mask? I’m amazed at how many people still seem to think that a regular mask gives you any protection from COVID.

Reactions: 3 users

Yes, we’re all sure you could think of a hundred half-baked, irrelevant examples which are in no way, shape, or form analogous to a public health emergency wherein HR offices in hospitals were being converted into pt treatment rooms while body bags continued to pile up in trailers in front of the main entrance.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Just curious - pre-COVID did you think the flu vaccine, or flu virus, was a political issue?

The slow creep of flu vaccine mandates for hospitals. Yes, I had a big problem with that. Besides the fact that the flu is overwhelmingly spread by symptomatic people, not pre-symptomatic infected people and vaccinating everyone with something that is not great and preventing infection but decent at minimizing symptoms will encourage people to come to work when mildly ill but still symptomatic (and thus spread it) so they don't have to burn sick days/PTO they'd rather use for vacation (the reason employers started the programs initially -- to minimize sick day usage and ensure staffing), mandating injections in order to be employed is ethically wrong.

Watching that creep from 2010 to 2020 where the flu vaccine became offered, then recommended, then strongly recommended, then hoops to jump through to avoid, then mandated with automatic termination for non-compliers, what happened with the covid vaccines was not surprising to me as the groundwork had already been laid over something far more stupid.

I say this as someone who had a severe reaction to the flu vaccine and has to waste countless hours every year to jump through hoops to avoid it, so yes, there is a little bias. But I'm still right.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you wearing an N95 or a regular mask? I’m amazed at how many people still seem to think that a regular mask gives you any protection from COVID.
K95… but I do feel anything is better then nothing so sometimes I just have a surgical mask.

• Care
Just curious - pre-COVID did you think the flu vaccine, or flu virus, was a political issue?
Yes. It was state mandated for all healthcare workers and I was not given a choice. I have had little success with the flu "shot" and, once again, got the flu despite having had the flu shot 5 weeks earlier. I love effective vaccines. The flu shot has never convinced me that it is effective since the years that I have had it have been symptomatically my worst flu seasons. The flu shot is a best guess at what will be the dominant strain. They rarely get it right. Prior to the mandate, I opted out of that one and most years did just fine.
Vaccines that are proven and effective? I am a big fan of those. The more I hear about the Covid vaccine and the side effects for some as well as it now being essentially ineffective as well as the politics surrounding the money that Pfizer and others made while being held blameless in the instances where it looks like the vaccine led to harm make me more certain that there was a tremendous amount of back room political chicanery surrounding the vaccine. A lot was promised by leaders regarding the safety and efficacy of the Covid vaccine. Much of what was thought to be true has turned out to be not true.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
That's because, in this case, they are mandating something that you personally don't have a problem with.

I would encourage you to think about a situation in which the mandate was for something you did have a problem with.

For instance, suppose there was a mandate for a microchip injection to allow you to be scanned at checkpoints for national security reasons due to a hypothetical geopolitical event in the future. Surely some people would not have a problem with this and others even support it and they may even scream at you and tell you are selfish and a danger to society for not complying. But what if you personally felt that it violated your autonomy?

Or suppose there was a mandate requiring your employer to drug test you every day at work. Even if you don't smoke marijuana, the government has made it impossible for people to hold a job and use weed recreationally. This is to prevent driving under the influence and save lives from car crashes by reducing the incidence of marijuana usage and functional alcoholism. You are selfish for not complying. Those who don't smoke weed or day drink don't care.

This is true about everything but the fact is that we have a split society when it comes to COVID and how we “manage” it. Shouldn’t be a question of which political side you’re on if we’re dealing with science.

Another thing you never hear from the “Covid not that bad, live your life, fygm” people is any concern about all the pts with non-covid diagnoses who had their care affected.

April 28, 2021 – Results from a retrospective observational study, presented today at Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions (SCAI) 2021 Virtual Scientific Sessions, reveal a 70% decline in the number of patients presenting with acute myocardial infarction (AMI) during April 2020 compared to April 2019. While the number of patients with AMI seeking care at hospitals dropped during the pandemic, those that did receive care experienced more severe symptoms because of delays in patients seeking emergency services.

As a result of system- and patient-level factors related to the COVID-19 pandemic, cancer care has frequently been delayed or altered. For example, recent data showed that half of European breast centers altered systemic treatments during the pandemic and one-fifth of patients experienced delay in radiation therapy

This is true about everything but the fact is that we have a split society when it comes to COVID and how we “manage” it. Shouldn’t be a question of which political side you’re on if we’re dealing with science.
I pictured the the soy guy face when I read this

The choice to intentionally spread disease

Having unprotected sex with someone knowing you are HIV positive (an incurable, universally lethal disease without treatment) without being on antivirals = Intentionally spreading disease. This is criminal and prosecuted as such.

Being in public and breathing in a completely normal state of health with no symptoms of anything = not intentionally spreading disease. This is called existing as a human.

We will never have a meaningful public discourse on this topic until we can disabuse this absurd strawman from those who cling to it.

K95… but I do feel anything is better then nothing so sometimes I just have a surgical mask.

I'm confused. You're talking about feelings in one post and you're talking about science in another.

On another note, I agree that this should not be a partisan issue (personal autonomy). I hate being lumped into the MAGA crowd for my interpretation of the data surrounding covid and beliefs on personal autonomy and freedom, which used to be bipartisan before the desire for authoritarianism began creeping in from the extremes of both sides, one far moreso than the other.

Maybe I'm not understanding. There was no government mandate to get vaccinated. Why are you comparing a situation which did not require vaccination to situations where a government is mandating something?

I'm confused. You're talking about feelings in one post and you're talking about science in another.

On another note, I agree that this should not be a partisan issue (personal autonomy). I hate being lumped into the MAGA crowd for my interpretation of the data surrounding covid and beliefs on personal autonomy and freedom, which used to be bipartisan before the desire for authoritarianism began creeping in from the extremes of both sides, one far moreso than the other.
Ok let’s break it down- how you feel is how you feel. I hate snow, some people like it. Science is snow is made out of water.

I wear masks and get vaccinated because of the science. I personally don’t care for MAGA folks losing their jobs if they don’t believe in science (masks and vaccines).

So yes there are feelings and science, maybe a little math and philosophy mixed in with social economics.

Maybe I'm not understanding. There was no government mandate to get vaccinated. Why are you comparing a situation which did not require vaccination to situations where a government is mandating something?
1672269588849.png

Another thing you never hear from the “Covid not that bad, live your life, fygm” people is any concern about all the pts with non-covid diagnoses who had their care affected.

April 28, 2021 – Results from a retrospective observational study, presented today at Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions (SCAI) 2021 Virtual Scientific Sessions, reveal a 70% decline in the number of patients presenting with acute myocardial infarction (AMI) during April 2020 compared to April 2019. While the number of patients with AMI seeking care at hospitals dropped during the pandemic, those that did receive care experienced more severe symptoms because of delays in patients seeking emergency services.​
As a result of system- and patient-level factors related to the COVID-19 pandemic, cancer care has frequently been delayed or altered. For example, recent data showed that half of European breast centers altered systemic treatments during the pandemic and one-fifth of patients experienced delay in radiation therapy
That makes the assumption that if x number of people who were not vaccinated actually did choose to get a vaccine, that the results would be different. It was the middle of a pandemic. Of course access to healthcare is going to be impacted. Some have this false sense that 100% vaccination rate was ever a possibility and that the pandemic could have been shut down. I do not buy into that. The virus was going to do what the virus was going to do. Our response to it may have had some impact, but mostly, the virus was going to have its way.

Are you serious?

How about, you, me and all other healthcare workers that receive Medicare dollars? How about the military, federal workers, federal contractors? Private businesses with over 100 employees? Non-citizen air travelers? These were all government mandates for specific groups.

Not a mandate for vaccination. That is a mandate for what is required to receive CMS payment. What about the measles vaccine? Flu? You said you like effective vaccines. Should cms allow you to pick and choose based on your personal likes and dislikes?

Are you serious?

How about, you, me and all other healthcare workers that receive Medicare dollars? How about the military, federal workers, federal contractors? Private businesses with over 100 employees? Non-citizen air travelers? These were all government mandates for specific groups.

Who forces you to work there? Go find some other place that respects your personal freedoms to not vaccinate.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Not a mandate for vaccination. That is a mandate for what is required to receive CMS payment. What about the measles vaccine? Flu? You said you like effective vaccines. Should cms allow you to pick and choose based on your personal likes and dislikes?
CMS should apply trustworthy measures of efficacy for any vaccines that are mandated. Do you disagree with that?
And denying payment for your work is essentially the same as a mandate. If your boss said you can continue to come to work, but you won't be getting paid any longer, wouldn't you feel like you got fired?

Who forces you to work there? Go find some other place that respects your personal freedoms to not vaccinate.

That’s compassion for your fellow colleagues right there. How many hospitals are hiring for anesthesia that don’t accept government $$$?

That’s compassion for your fellow colleagues right there. How many hospitals are hiring for anesthesia that don’t accept government $$$?
Yea the guy is either totally a lost cause or intentionally being obtuse. What will be interesting to watch is to see how states behave through all of this. Florida, Texas, Iowa, etc. all made it clear they want to let people live a much more normal life as opposed to California, New York, or Washington state. Pick the state you live in wisely!

When you chose medical school did your school require proof of vaccination? Yes

When you started residency did your hospital require proof of vaccination? Yes

In every job in a hospital as an anesthesiologist, pre COVID, were you required you provide proof of vaccination? Yes

You all act like this is something new that you just stumbled into when COVID occurred. Something completely unexpected and unreasonable. That’s fine. Die on that hill. No one will stop you. Just stop acting like it was all unexpected.

Yea the guy is either totally a lost cause or intentionally being obtuse. What will be interesting to watch is to see how states behave through all of this. Florida, Texas, Iowa, etc. all made it clear they want to let people live a much more normal life as opposed to California, New York, or Washington state. Pick the state you live in wisely!
That is a classic example of a healthcare worker who has been completely and utterly broken by Covid. I wish there was a chance for recovery and a more normal life, but I doubt it is possible if the feelings of hate remain this strong almost 3 years later. These are the ones who have no idea that, in many states, kids have been going to school in person for the past 2.5 years and without masks for over a year. They see it on TV at football games, concerts, and huge events, but they cannot imagine that anyone could be that reckless and assume that all of those who attended are now dead.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

Compassionately speaking, I’d be super excited if all of the non-vaccinated could build their own hospital where they can all collectively work together in personal freedom ecstasy. No problem with that at all.

That is a classic example of a healthcare worker who has been completely and utterly broken by Covid. I wish there was a chance for recovery and a more normal life, but I doubt it is possible if the feelings of hate remain this strong almost 3 years later. These are the ones who have no idea that, in many states, kids have been going to school in person for the past 2.5 years and without masks for over a year. They see it on TV at football games, concerts, and huge events, but they cannot imagine that anyone could be that reckless and assume that all of those who attended are now dead.

I just wanted to quote this to put in concrete all of the wonderful assumptions you make about me. Since you like to judge others statements so often and preach compassion.

When you chose medical school did your school require proof of vaccination? Yes

When you started residency did your hospital require proof of vaccination? Yes

In every job in a hospital as an anesthesiologist, pre COVID, were you required you provide proof of vaccination? Yes

You all act like this is something new that you just stumbled into when COVID occurred. Something completely unexpected and unreasonable. That’s fine. Die on that hill. No one will stop you. Just stop acting like it was all unexpected.
All of those vaccinations were for tried and true and well tested vaccines. The flu vaccine mandates are relatively new. The Covid vaccine was a rushed through and totally new design for a vaccine (that has not lived up to the initial claims). You demonize people for wondering what unknown side effects may be a result of something this new and untested? You are not comparing apples to oranges. How many new treatments have you seen come and go in your career after they were proven to be harmful or ineffective? I have seen plenty. Drug reps must love talking with you, as you seem easily led.

• Dislike
I just wanted to quote this to put in concrete all of the wonderful assumptions you make about me. Since you like to judge others statements so often and preach compassion.
I do feel compassion for you. I hope you get better.
Did I accidentally state something that you do not believe to be true? Do you secretly know that people have mostly resumed normal lives. Do you not really hate those who are unvaccinated?

That makes the assumption that if x number of people who were not vaccinated actually did choose to get a vaccine, that the results would be different. It was the middle of a pandemic. Of course access to healthcare is going to be impacted. Some have this false sense that 100% vaccination rate was ever a possibility and that the pandemic could have been shut down. I do not buy into that. The virus was going to do what the virus was going to do. Our response to it may have had some impact, but mostly, the virus was going to have its way.

None of this is true at all, at least not at the time when the dominant strains were alpha and subsequently delta, and the vast majority of hospitalized pts at that time were unvaccinated. Vaccination was pretty damn effective and drastically reduced the chances of hospitalization and/or death with those strains, and thus the healthcare resources tied up by those folks were resources that folks with other conditions did not have access to.

Last edited:
All of those vaccinations were for tried and true and well tested vaccines. The flu vaccine mandates are relatively new. The Covid vaccine was a rushed through and totally new design for a vaccine (that has not lived up to the initial claims). You demonize people for wondering what unknown side effects may be a result of something this new and untested? You are not comparing apples to oranges. How many new treatments have you seen come and go in your career after they were proven to be harmful or ineffective? I have seen plenty. Drug reps must love talking with you, as you seem easily led.

And yet the COVID vaccine did exactly as it was intended. It reduced morbidity and mortality. Importantly, it kept people out of the hospital and at home in a time when hospitals were overflowing with COVID admissions, with consistently > 90% of them being unvaccinated. In my hospital through each surge >90% of ICU patients were unvaccinated.

What are the long term effects of COVID?

• Dislike
So, what you are looking for is a reliable and legal way to deny healthcare to those who disagree with your assessment of how to respond to a pandemic based on views of the efficacy of a brand new vaccine that many had a lot of hesitancy and mistrust about? And, if you had this reliable and legal way to deny care to that subgroup, am I to understand that you would take full advantage of that pathway? You have been pretty clear on the subject, I am just trying to make sure I am clear
The system was in crisis and we didn't have room. People who wanted to intentionally go out and get sick for their freedom then take a bed from someone who didn't do that makes no sense in a just or equitable society so yes, you are completely correct that denying healthcare from people who adamantly refused to care about themselves in our crisis was what I am saying we needed to do. Having that option would have really alleviated the anger from the side of the people who were following the rules and contributing to the cause by changing their behavior to help keep our healthcare system from imploding.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
None of this is true at all, at least not at the time when the dominant strains were alpha and subsequently delta, and the vast majority of hospitalized pts at that time were unvaccinated. Vaccination drastically reduced the chances of hospitalization and/or death with those strains, and thus the healthcare resources tied up by those folks were resources that folks with other conditions did not have access to.
I feel that the impact of a slightly higher vaccination rate (which is the most we could realistically hope for in such a compressed timeline) would have had only small impacts into the course of the pandemic. I think that you are still going on the premise that 100% vaccination rate was a possibility, which I think we all know that it was not a realistic possibility to even get close to that. In a fantasy land where the virus does not mutate and large roving bands of people are traveling to every neighborhood forcibly injecting the vaccine into unwilling people, in every country in the world, then maybe you might have a point.

CMS should apply trustworthy measures of efficacy for any vaccines that are mandated. Do you disagree with that?
And denying payment for your work is essentially the same as a mandate. If your boss said you can continue to come to work, but you won't be getting paid any longer, wouldn't you feel like you got fired?

I would feel like I need to find a job that will pay me for my work.

You are completely ignoring the absolute cluster that was each COVID surge, the lack of available beds for patients (that could have been used by cms patients) due to unvaccinated covid, and the lack of ICU beds (that could’ve been used by cms patients) due to unvaccinated covid. You are wishing that CMS would do as you desire as opposed to what they chose based on scientific evidence and what was staring the medical community in the face with each COVID surge.

Of course, you’re now looking through your retrospectroscope and judging based on political belief.

I’m not getting into this back and forth with you all again. At least you guys are all consistent and unwavering in your views.

Can I get a shot count from some of you? What # booster are people on these days?

• Haha
I would feel like I need to find a job that will pay me for my work.

You are completely ignoring the absolute cluster that was each COVID surge, the lack of available beds for patients (that could have been used by cms patients) due to unvaccinated covid, and the lack of ICU beds (that could’ve been used by cms patients) due to unvaccinated covid. You are wishing that CMS would do as you desire as opposed to what they chose based on scientific evidence and what was staring the medical community in the face with each COVID surge.

Of course, you’re now looking through your retrospectroscope and judging based on political belief.
As I have stated, I am vaccinated and believed in the efficacy of the vaccine from the outset. I encouraged and convinced many who were hesitant about the vaccine to get the vaccine. I still think it was the best decision. I am, however, not convinced that the pandemic could have been averted. It is like me thinking that if a 1000 (or a hundred thousand or a million or a hundred million) people simultaneously poured gallon bottles of water into the ocean that the salt concentration of the ocean was going to be appreciably affected or that the sea level would suddenly rise and flood cities.
This was a pandemic and the vaccine was brand new and untested. Hating people who had vaccine hesitancy did nothing to improve healthcare and only served to permanently break a lot of people in health care who developed hate and anger for those who would dare to take an opposing view to theirs. One hundred percent vaccination was never a real possibility and the pandemic was going to do what it did and it was going to impact all of us. There is no reason to hate your fellow humans who happened to not be at the same point of trust at the same time as you for a novel vaccine treatment to combat a global pandemic that you were.

I do feel compassion for you. I hope you get better.
Did I accidentally state something that you do not believe to be true? Do you secretly know that people have mostly resumed normal lives. Do you not really hate those who are unvaccinated?

You edited your post so I’ll reply now to your edited statement. The only time I’ve been aware of vaccination status is when my hospital system posted daily COVID statistics showing the % unvaccinated and % vaccinated hospitalized and ICU patients. With all of the compassion you expect out of others, I wonder if you believe all of those unvaccinated felt any compassion whatsoever for all of the patients who either couldn’t get hospitalized in a timely manner or sat in an ED bed for days/weeks waiting on an ICU bed, or got transferred to a hospital out of state because their state had no ICU beds as they were clogged with the unvaccinated. Compassion is a funny thing when it’s spread around.

What are the long term effects of COVID?
This has been studied extensively and the information is widely available on the internet or leading medical journals. Spoiler alert: I don't think you are going to like them. The long term effects of covid can be quite severe.

1672274247200.png

Any thoughts on this data set from the CDC?