TV Docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tenesma said:
i realize these shows are TV shows and therefore are going to be riddled w/ inaccuracies and frought w/ love stories...

but what scares me is when I hang out with non-medical friends and relatives, they are convinced that Grey's Anatomy and House are EXACT duplicates of what happens inside a hospital... trying to argue w/ them about it is useless, because it is hard to prove to the lay person that there REALLY isn't that much CHAOS, DISORGANIZATION, HANKY-PANKY, HECTIC TO-AND-FRO in the hospital.

ER is a classic example of that - how often do paramedics bring in patients into the NBC ER with one paramedic straddled over the chest doing CPR, and as soon as they are in the trauma bay - a 1st year ER resident does a bed-side thoracotomy? About once every episode

How often in the real world level I trauma ER? NEVER...

i love watching Grey's anatomy cause the chicks are cute - but usually within 15 minutes i have to turn it off because it is soo darn irritating.

I am sure this rant is very similar to what Detectives think of Law & Order, Medical Examiners think of CSI, Lawyers think of L.A. Law, etc....

My dad was a cop for many years, and now he's a lawyer. He definitely hates watching cop/lawyer movies or TV shows because they're so unrealistic. He told me that in like 28 years of being a cop or whatever, he never had to shoot someone, only had to pull his gun out on someone a few times, and only got threatened once, and it was with a big knife, which the guy promptly dropped when my dad pulled his gun. He worked in Philly too, so it wasn't as though he didn't have his share of criminals.

Members don't see this ad.

on yesterdays greys anatomy,,,what was that Bu**sh@# about doing a tubal ligation with out her consent on the paperwork, doing it as a favour to save her marraige ???and saying it was a complication of CS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coolbabe76 said:
on yesterdays greys anatomy,,,what was that Bu**sh@# about doing a tubal ligation with out her consent on the paperwork, doing it as a favour to save her marraige ???and saying it was a complication of CS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And they say truth is stranger than fiction?

What's up with you guys anyway; do you really watch that stuff for entertainment? Whatever happened to leaving your work at the hospital?

Give me a good courtroom drama or cop show any day. I love the way justice always prevails on those shows...Who needs reminders of reality after a hard day's work?

fotrunately i dont watch this soap...this was my first greys anatomy....it was just on by chance and i saw this segment and promptly turned off the tv set......i dont want to see this for "entertainment" ...i prefer The Xfiles :cool:

I like to call Sunday night with Desperate Houswives and Grey's Anatomy --> "Nympho Night."

coolbabe76 said:

That was terrible, i didnt last beyond the initial scene. Not only do they have a supposed gsurg resident covering but they act like its something youd have to negotiate to keep the standard dr/pt confidentiality, shows terrible.

Family guy on the other hand is terrific, the dr. on there tonight told Popeye how it was straight-up, gotta like that.

I was going to try and watch it, but I couldn't stomach it. Family Guy = awesome, but I like Futurama better. Yay adult swim on M-H.

mysophobe said:
I was going to try and watch it, but I couldn't stomach it. Family Guy = awesome, but I like Futurama better. Yay adult swim on M-H.

Cartoons are boring.

The NBA playoffs are on, children!

GO MAVS

Cartoons are boring, but basketball isn't? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I must say no medical show has ever irked me quite as much as Grey's Anatomy. These residents show up with the sun shining, and slowly and lackadaisically start their rounds. No need to run around gathering data such as vitals of course. And then after rounds, they split up the cases. But even if you're not scrubbed in, you can always just shmooze the day away in the viewing room above the OR. And who needs to do a residency in just general surgery when you can do neurosurgery and OB/GYN as well? And where the heck are the PGY2-4's? Is there really only one PGY5? Must be a pretty crappy program if all the other residents left.

mysophobe said:
Cartoons are boring, but basketball isn't? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

You obviously didn't catch the Lakers-Suns game yesterday.

Either that, or you have a 21-hydroxylase deficiency.

Uh...right. Or, I just don't like basketball. But, go ahead and cite some more pathology you learned last week to make yourself look cool.

Btw, it's simple-virilizing as far as I'm concerned. :p