TV Docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

remedios

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm whiling away the remainder of 4th year by watching all four medical shows on prime time. The other night I had an epiphany about a simple classification system of the level of medical knowledge and the accurateness of the shows (Hard and easy refers to level of knowledge, right and wrong refers to accurateness):

1. ER-- Hard and right
2. House-- Hard and wrong
3. Scrubs-- Easy and right
4. Grey's Anatomy-- Easy and wrong (or, as my fellow TV watcher MSIV puts it, it's just wrong and wrong)

Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

What always kills me about these shows the way that people massacre medical terminology. I was watching House the other day, and one of the actor said, "eosiphonilia" instead of eosinophilia. I almost choked on my drink when I heard that one! The other one that gets me is "larnyx" instead of larynx, although it's sad to say I've heard many a med student make the same mistake. ;)

ER is "right"? Are you kidding? :confused:

remedios said:
So I'm whiling away the remainder of 4th year by watching all four medical shows on prime time. The other night I had an epiphany about a simple classification system of the level of medical knowledge and the accurateness of the shows (Hard and easy refers to level of knowledge, right and wrong refers to accurateness):

1. ER-- Hard and right
2. House-- Hard and wrong
3. Scrubs-- Easy and right
4. Grey's Anatomy-- Easy and wrong (or, as my fellow TV watcher MSIV puts it, it's just wrong and wrong)

Discuss.

ER is was right in the first few seasons, but has been wrong for quite some time.

Of the above, the only one I can enjoy is Scrubs. If you aren't going to be accurate, at least be funny.

I classify the shows into annoying or not.

ER - annoying. If life is that depressing in the ER, I'd request an ER residency in a tall building so I can fly out the window when I see fit.

House - annoying. Is there anything wrong with smiling occasionally? Not everything is doom and gloom!

Scrubs - annoying. But it is funny so I can let it slide :)

Grey's Anatomy - annoying. "Didja see last week's episode? Who humped who?" If you can use that sentence after every episode, the show is not doing too well!

drPLUM said:
ER is "right"? Are you kidding? :confused:

"What" they do is right. "When" and "who" are questionable.

For example - pneumo in the hyperbaric chamber on a neonate. Chest tube. The right thing, but the EM intern (instead of the Peds CT-surg attending) is wrong.

Likewise, the doofus and annoying chief resident who has no idea what NEXUS is, but, when the nurse character explains it, it's the right thing.

I mean, tell me a case where the medicine was black-letter wrong.

The stories are absurdly complex and emotionally-draining, but the medicine in and of itself (modularized, as units) stands up.

(And I speak as EMT/Paramedic for 13 years and EM senior resident.)

well, I just bought the first season of scrubs. I hope its a good investment.

Anyone else notice the CXR in the opening credits of Scrubs is backwards?

ER - boring and annoying
House - annoying and aggravating but someone has good taste in music
Scrubs - annoying but sometimes very funny and decent taste in music
Grey's Anatomy - people like these give physicians a bad name

Mumpu said:
Anyone else notice the CXR in the opening credits of Scrubs is backwards?

ER - boring and annoying
House - annoying and aggravating but someone has good taste in music
Scrubs - annoying but sometimes very funny and decent taste in music
Grey's Anatomy - people like these give physicians a bad name

There was a discussion about the CXR in scrubs. The backwardsness is supposed to be intentional I think.

And Grey's anatomy has excellent taste in music too.

Apollyon said:
"What" they do is right. "When" and "who" are questionable.

For example - pneumo in the hyperbaric chamber on a neonate. Chest tube. The right thing, but the EM intern (instead of the Peds CT-surg attending) is wrong.

Likewise, the doofus and annoying chief resident who has no idea what NEXUS is, but, when the nurse character explains it, it's the right thing.

I mean, tell me a case where the medicine was black-letter wrong.

The stories are absurdly complex and emotionally-draining, but the medicine in and of itself (modularized, as units) stands up.

(And I speak as EMT/Paramedic for 13 years and EM senior resident.)

That's what I meant when I said ER was right. Wrong people/pace, but right management.

Yeah, like when the ER residents do laparotomies in the trauma bay.

mysophobe said:

But I would bet those people REALLY needed those laparotomies ;)

Yeah. That 10ml of abdominal fluid was threatening their lives.

They also had a AAA and an aortoenteric fistula in the same episode. They get everything there.

OSUdoc08 said:
ER is was right in the first few seasons, but has been wrong for quite some time.

Whats wrong about it? Sure they squeeze in years of medical experience into hours a month, but thats entertainment. I have yet to see incorrect medical terminology. diagnosis or treatment plans espoused as 'medicine' on this show.

Idiopathic said:
Whats wrong about it? Sure they squeeze in years of medical experience into hours a month, but thats entertainment. I have yet to see incorrect medical terminology. diagnosis or treatment plans espoused as 'medicine' on this show.

That British girl was on more than a 1 month rotation in the ER, and there's no way in hell they would have ever given her a residency.

There is no way the medical students would be given the independence they have, either.

Everyone that was a med student there goes to residency there. One of the med students did an emergency trach by herself with an er tech watching. The nurses always seem to know how to do really complicated procedures better than the residents or students. The er students and/or residents have done brain surgery, ex laps, and just about every other procedure under the sun without even calling surgery. And once they magically fix the problem, they leave the room with a "okay nurse, he can go upstairs now".

On ER, Juliana Marguilez found out her MCAT score the same day she took the MCAT. I hated waiting all of those weeks for my score.

mysophobe said:

Or Craniotomies/ ventriculotomies

I learned something watching ER last night, you give heparin for pseudotumor cerebri because it is caused by venous thrombosis (they called it idiopathic intracranial hypertension) no more LP's. And yesterday I scrubed a VP shunt placement for pseudotumor. Wonder if they had tried heparin.

Idiopathic said:

This is true, ER is factual, wheras when I was watching House this week they rattle off a differential that would get you slapped across the face for stupidity on the wards. Patient with acute systemic multi-organ process and they come up with tuberous sclerosis as the most likely culpit. Then the final diagnosis is something no one has ever heard of and House just stays start the therapy, but the kicker is they already gave the therapy earlier in the show and nothing got better.

DrNick2006 said:
This is true, ER is factual, wheras when I was watching House this week they rattle off a differential that would get you slapped across the face for stupidity on the wards. Patient with acute systemic multi-organ process and they come up with tuberous sclerosis as the most likely culpit. Then the final diagnosis is something no one has ever heard of and House just stays start the therapy, but the kicker is they already gave the therapy earlier in the show and nothing got better.

Most of the episodes I've seen end up being some bizarro toxicity syndrome. I do like the scenes where House is hatin' on clinic though. Those are funny.

Grey's Anatomy annoys me because they have OB/GYN and neurosurgey all lumped together with general surgery, and it's blatantly wrong most of the time. And because the actors all wear tailored spandex scrubs and I'm jealous. Nobody looks that good in real scrubs.

ER jumped the shark when George Clooney left.

I've never watched Scrubs. Perhaps I should. Everyone is always talking about how funny it is...

Someone always codes in House........and they over dramatize their obscure syndromes to be life or death in 24 hours.

I still love Scrubs, ER not so much.

Hurricane said:
Most of the episodes I've seen end up being some bizarro toxicity syndrome. I do like the scenes where House is hatin' on clinic though. Those are funny.

Grey's Anatomy annoys me because they have OB/GYN and neurosurgery all lumped together with general surgery, and it's blatantly wrong most of the time. And because the actors all wear tailored spandex scrubs and I'm jealous. Nobody looks that good in real scrubs.

ER jumped the shark when George Clooney left.

I've never watched Scrubs. Perhaps I should. Everyone is always talking about how funny it is...

A good post all around.

For those that don't know, "jump the shark" means "turned the corner", and started to go bad/changed the tenor of what got the show to where it is. It comes from "Happy Days", which turned downhill after Fonzie jumped over the shark tank. Ted McGinley has been frequently implicated in making a show jump the shark (Happy Days, The Love Boat, Married...With Children among them).

Scrubs is hilarious, but it could be about lawyers and it would still be funny. I just wish I had that much time to chat.

Grey's Anatomy lost me the first episode when all the interns were coming to work, sipping their Starbucks....with the Sun up. Yeah right. I didn't see the Sun for a stinking month on my surgery rotation.

tridoc13 said:
What always kills me about these shows the way that people massacre medical terminology. I was watching House the other day, and one of the actor said, "eosiphonilia" instead of eosinophilia. I almost choked on my drink when I heard that one! The other one that gets me is "larnyx" instead of larynx, although it's sad to say I've heard many a med student make the same mistake. ;)

On Grey's Anatomy last year, Sandra Oh's character said a patient had "hematomachrosis" instead of hemochromatosis. And the "Standstill operation" where they induced cardiac arrest just to clip a brain aneurysm?? Who does that??!!

And in one episode House wrote on his whiteboard "intERcranial" hemorrhage. Is that when blood leaks out of your brain into someone else's?

DrNick2006 said:

I watched the episode too. What was the final diagnosis anyway?? It sounded like Chester Bickham, but I couldn't find anything with that name...

remedios said:
I watched the episode too. What was the final diagnosis anyway?? It sounded like Chester Bickham, but I couldn't find anything with that name...

It was Erdheim-Chester disease.

This rare disease is characterized by a symmetrical sclerosis at the diametaphyseal portions of the lower extremities with additional extraskeletal involvement. It is rare with less than 100 cases reported in the literature. Radiographic studies reveal a bilateral, patchy or diffuse increase in density, coarsened trabecular pattern, sclerosis, and cortical thickening mainly in the metaphyses with minor changes or sparing of the epiphyses. Many internal organs and tissue sites, including the kidney and retroperitoneum, lung, pericardium, skin, orbit, and brain may occur. The symptoms and clinical manifestations depend upon the organ involved. Infiltration of the pituitary stalk may lead to diabetes insipidus while involvement of the lungs may lead to diffuse pulmonary fibrosis.

Under the microscope, there is diffuse infiltration of the affected organs by lipid-laden histiocytes and Touton-type giant cells. These cells resemble Langerhans cells but immunohistochemistry reveals important differences (see table below).

For many years, this disease has been considered a variant of Langerhans cell histiocytosis (LCH). In particular, there was similarity to a variant of LCH known as Hand-Schuller-Christian disease. However, there are important differences. Based upon these recent studies, it is likely that this disease is distinct from LCH. The prognosis is poor with progressive disease with resultant organ-system dysfunction. Mortality is 57% usually from respiratory distress, cardiac failure, or pulmonary fibrosis.

ShambhalaRed said:
On Grey's Anatomy last year, Sandra Oh's character said a patient had "hematomachrosis" instead of hemochromatosis. And the "Standstill operation" where they induced cardiac arrest just to clip a brain aneurysm?? Who does that??!!

Standstills are performed for otherwise untreatable aneurysms on a rare basis, mostly at BNI in Arizona. "just to clip a brain aneurysm"? Serious?

ShambhalaRed said:
Yeah, I remember that one! They also said, "There are no breathing sounds on this side" when examing a patient in distress. Plus, they almost always mispronounce "consult". Just little things, but they always cause me to twitch a little when I hear them! :laugh:

W06 said:
Standstills are performed for otherwise untreatable aneurysms on a rare basis, mostly at BNI in Arizona. "just to clip a brain aneurysm"? Serious?

He meant they stopped the heart just to clip a brain aneurysm, i.e., that isn't something they really do.

mysophobe said:
He meant they stopped the heart just to clip a brain aneurysm, i.e., that isn't something they really do.

Except it is something that is done, albeit rarely. Otherwise untreatable basilar aneurysms are treated by Spetzler at BNI this way. Read the book "The Healing Blade," and there is a new series on discovery health channel on just this operation.

Didn't know that. But, as you said, it is done rarely, which once again is just more to the point he was trying to make--it isn't something they really do. It might be done in rare occasions, but not commonly.

I've heard that is a good book, but I haven't had time to sit down and read it.

Emaline said:
It was Erdheim-Chester disease.

This rare disease is characterized by a symmetrical sclerosis at the diametaphyseal portions of the lower extremities with additional extraskeletal involvement. It is rare with less than 100 cases reported in the literature. Radiographic studies reveal a bilateral, patchy or diffuse increase in density, coarsened trabecular pattern, sclerosis, and cortical thickening mainly in the metaphyses with minor changes or sparing of the epiphyses. Many internal organs and tissue sites, including the kidney and retroperitoneum, lung, pericardium, skin, orbit, and brain may occur. The symptoms and clinical manifestations depend upon the organ involved. Infiltration of the pituitary stalk may lead to diabetes insipidus while involvement of the lungs may lead to diffuse pulmonary fibrosis.

Under the microscope, there is diffuse infiltration of the affected organs by lipid-laden histiocytes and Touton-type giant cells. These cells resemble Langerhans cells but immunohistochemistry reveals important differences (see table below).

For many years, this disease has been considered a variant of Langerhans cell histiocytosis (LCH). In particular, there was similarity to a variant of LCH known as Hand-Schuller-Christian disease. However, there are important differences. Based upon these recent studies, it is likely that this disease is distinct from LCH. The prognosis is poor with progressive disease with resultant organ-system dysfunction. Mortality is 57% usually from respiratory distress, cardiac failure, or pulmonary fibrosis.

you rock :D

and, for the record, it totally did not sound like erdheim when they said it...

Last week on house there was a case of Erdheim-Chester Dz. Erdheim Who? Couldn't find in Robbins and no luck in Harrison's. Went to the mighty internet and found a Harvard case study. About 80 cases ever and this guy sees 2 in 12 years. Dz presentation on show was all wrong and they had a Tx for her. Sorry Dr. House but I don't think its Erdheim-Chester dz. This is my new shocker in a ddx.

Scrubs is great, has me laughing out loud all the time (not many shows can do that). ER is boring, went downhill long ago, and needs to give it up. Never seen an episode of House. Grey's Anatomy....where to even start about that show! It is so freakin ridiculous, and yet for some strange reason I keep watching it, yelling at the TV the entire time about how [insert improbable scenario here] would never happen.

Apollyon said:
A good post all around.

For those that don't know, "jump the shark" means "turned the corner", and started to go bad/changed the tenor of what got the show to where it is. It comes from "Happy Days", which turned downhill after Fonzie jumped over the shark tank. Ted McGinley has been frequently implicated in making a show jump the shark (Happy Days, The Love Boat, Married...With Children among them).

Ted McGinley was awesome on Married...With Children.

What about the way tv docs are protrayed in general?

1. Like Dr. Huxtable, who didnt seem to work all that much.
2. Doogie
3. Dr. Seaver from Growing Pains
4. The doctors on the show "Nurses"
5. The old guy from "Empty Nest"

???

Pooh & Annie said:
Ted McGinley was awesome on Married...With Children.

hahahaha

That whole show was awesome in general.

Forget med school! I'm selling shoes from now on!

ElZorro said:
Grey's Anatomy lost me the first episode when all the interns were coming to work, sipping their Starbucks....with the Sun up. Yeah right. I didn't see the Sun for a stinking month on my surgery rotation.

i had issues with the surgery interns running codes and the intractable seizure patient going straight to the surgery service. do they not have medicine or neuro in that hospital?

A month into surgery I forgot the sun existed.

I'm watching House right now and the white young doctor and the woman are performing a colonoscopy on a non-sedated female patient.

The best part is when the young male says to the patient "I need you to relax your anus".

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was watching ER a few years ago and they called the DSM IV the DMS IV.

I also like the episode this year when that head nurse (from 3rd rock from the sun) showed the resident how to insert an LMA.

Solideliquid said:
I'm watching House right now and the white young doctor and the woman are performing a colonoscopy on a non-sedated patient.

The best part is when the young male says to the patient "I need you to relax your anus".

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

House was even more ridiculous than usual tonight... but... so.... entertaining..... (especially the part when he started speaking really bad mandarin)

ORBITAL BEBOP said:
4. The doctors on the show "Nurses"

What was this show? My memory is a little foggy, but I vaguely remember the show. Who was in it?

And Dr. Huxtable had more free time than any OB/Gyn I've ever encountered...

Dr. Huxtable was an OB/GYN?

mysophobe said:
Dr. Huxtable was an OB/GYN?

You're kidding, right?

Did you ever even watch the show?

What is your problem? Obviously, I either didn't watch it or I did and just didn't know. But no, I didn't watch it.