Tutor Advice - Phoenix Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azjoe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you guys have used a tutor in the past, how do you make sure that they are good? I want to know prior to working with anyone. Also how much money per hour is fair? It's for a couple Math classes that I am flying through.

Also if you are a tutor in the Phoenix area, let me know or if you know anyone good.

Thanks
Joe

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Joe,

I am a private tutor though not in your area:( . The best thing to do is ask for referrals and email them. Ask the referrals how long they worked with the tutor. Ask how the sessions were run and if the tutor showed up on time and was prepared. Did the student feel like the tutor gave the student enough time to formulate their own responses? This is really important.

While there are certainly many variables in student's improvement, with a bit of effort, most students do better with the tutor. I have had people in the past that did about the same, but that is because they put the same or less effort into their classes. In short, find someone who will be more of a facilitator.

As for price, it varies. I have to gauge how difficult the course is and how much time I put in. Don't go too cheap, bc you get what you pay for! Probably $30-40 range will get you someone good. Also, there are companies that offer private tutoring (more $$). That is a good way to go because they train the tutors, give feedback to the tutor etc.

Good luck, pm me with any questions.

Thanks, I have checked out a few different people. As of now, I still do not have anyone.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Joe,

I am a private tutor though not in your area:( . The best thing to do is ask for referrals and email them. Ask the referrals how long they worked with the tutor. Ask how the sessions were run and if the tutor showed up on time and was prepared. Did the student feel like the tutor gave the student enough time to formulate their own responses? This is really important.

While there are certainly many variables in student's improvement, with a bit of effort, most students do better with the tutor. I have had people in the past that did about the same, but that is because they put the same or less effort into their classes. In short, find someone who will be more of a facilitator.

As for price, it varies. I have to gauge how difficult the course is and how much time I put in. Don't go too cheap, bc you get what you pay for! Probably $30-40 range will get you someone good. Also, there are companies that offer private tutoring (more $$). That is a good way to go because they train the tutors, give feedback to the tutor etc.

Good luck, pm me with any questions.

:thumbup:

I agree, you need a facilitator and not someone who is going to solve the problems for you. I was a tutor at a CC, and our mantra was "who is holding the pencil"? In other words, let the student turn the page and do the footwork and the tutor should just keep you on course.

Speaking of CC's, many community colleges have free walk-in tutoring if you are enrolled in a class. Many of the tutors have a ton of experience. It might be worth your while to enroll in a class at a CC, just to take advantage of tutoring services.

Also, there are companies that offer private tutoring (more $$). That is a good way to go because they train the tutors, give feedback to the tutor etc.

Careful with private places, especially if they are mostly online. I "almost" worked for one but after checking it out I was too sketched out (they claimed a lot of stuff that didn't hold up after a google search) and didn't take the job (which is a shame since I made $7.15/hr through the school's tutoring center and they were offering $20+)