DIY Post-Bacc Los Angeles Area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBubble

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a nontraditional student and I will be 4 years out of undergrad when I apply with next year's cycle and I also have a masters degree completed. And then I really wanted to go to med school so here I am! I

I'd really like to take a couple classes to improve my GPA if possible... My sGPA suffered my 2nd year...C in physics and a C in biochem(especially since my major was biochem, I'd really like to demonstrate that I know my stuff).... and I did well in my final year (almost all As) but I didn't think about med school and just decided to graduate so its hard to argue that there's an upward trend.... anyway those are my reasons!

1. With the M.S. degree being completed, would taking classes for credit (outside of a formal post-bacc program), count towards the post-bacc GPA to boost GPA?
2. How to go about a DIY post-bacc... are you still applying through the PostBACCas application cycle or are you simply just taking classes from schools??.... does anyone know of any places specifically in the Los Angeles area where it would be relatively easy to register to take classes without a formal program? Or online classes? (I do not want to consider a formal program because of the cost and also that would mean I have to delay applying for a year)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm doing a DIY post bacc in LA. I'm more of an older complete career changer but I did a fair amount of research into this. Over the summer- you can just take classes at will at Cal State LA. USC post bacc set up is very laid back. Applications for fall are still being accepted into June with no certain cut off date- they will also hook you up research/ volunteer opportunities and possibly letter depending on how long you stay. UCLA extension offers classes and has post bacc program. I, personally, did not want to spend a huge amount of money or any if I could help it. Knowing that UCLA, Berkeley, Davis etc even pre-accepts a ton of people and sends them to select CA community colleges for two years to get their GE classes done - I thought I would check this out. Despite all the fear mongering that goes on in forums like these- I did my own research and tracked down people that did DIY post bacc at SMC- and guess what- they were all in medical school, residency or already doctors. They all gave the same reply- if you graduated undergrad from a notable school- that was all that mattered. No one in interviews even brought up that it was a community college in interviews. One person even went to Stanford but most were at UC medical schools - a preponderance at UCSF. If your goal is to just raise your undergraduate gpa- I would just go to SMC or Pasadena - take microbiology, anatomy, physiology etc if you already had all the prerequisites and boost up your gap-taking these classes will also end up qualifying you for other state university medical schools that this year and next are starting to make these classes requirements.

Reactions: 1 user