Turkish University USA admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ottoman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an American student going to my third year of high school in New York City at Midwood High School. I am planing to go to university in Turkey, Istanbul. Specifically Marmara University because of their diversity of medical programs that are present there .
I would like to know if there is any way I can get into the english medical program and if there is can I join right after my fourth year of high school. I also would like to know if Marmara University accepts the SAT. I have been sending many e-mails around but never got an answer. I need help and fast because my time for applying to college is running out and i really want to go to either Marmara University or Istanbul University (Cerrahpasa).

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

i can try to help your issues as well as i can...they never reply you with e-mail or anything else...they are not related of application conditiond,they are interested in only their inside students who achieved the exam 'oss' (you must know about it,it is the only exam for uni.s here,there is no way except this exam and this year something has arrenged again for this exam,anyway)...and your high school diploma may be also issue if you can not prove its validity in our ministry of foreign affairs etc. and for SAT,nope,the state uni.s or private uni.s dont accept these exams results,only that 'OSS' exam is valid...only 'bogaziçi' accepts its validity...

Turkey has a centralised system You have to apply to YOK -Council of Higher education first fulfil their requirements and then apply to the university of your choice. I graduated from a Univ in Turkey and I was on scholarship so I didnt have to do their entrance exam except for the Turkish language exam ( was accepted with my A'levels). Some univ's accept SAT's A levels (GCE), ACT etc.

A link which will be of help to know if the univ's you are interested in accept your qualifications.

http://www.yok.gov.tr/english/higher_edu.htm

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently an American student going to my third year of high school in New York City at Midwood High School. I am planing to go to university in Turkey, Istanbul. Specifically Marmara University because of their diversity of medical programs that are present there .
I would like to know if there is any way I can get into the english medical program and if there is can I join right after my fourth year of high school. I also would like to know if Marmara University accepts the SAT. I have been sending many e-mails around but never got an answer. I need help and fast because my time for applying to college is running out and i really want to go to either Marmara University or Istanbul University (Cerrahpasa).

Thank you
Hi Ottoman,
the best and easy way to entrance into the University in Turkey is to past YÖS exam( an examination for foreign Students). It is one time (in April ) in a year, and there is 80 Questions (Mathematik and IQ test). I did this exam in 2004 and got a place for Studying in Marmara University. If you want you can get some information in this yosguide. http://www.studyturkey.metu.edu.tr/yosguide.pdf
If you have any question, don't hasitate , let me know,
Best luck
Nail

Nail,

Its not a must anymore to do the YOS exam, there has been changes in rules since 2005. You can apply with the SAT results.

Ottoman,
Another Univ you could add to your list : Hacettepe its in Ankara. It also has an english medium Medicine program too.

Hi Ottoman,
I don't know anything about the Turkish university system, so can't answer that question for you.
You may want to be careful in deciding whether to study medicine in Turkey vs. the US, if you ultimately want to practice in the US. If you want to set up practice in the US later, you would probably do better going to a US med school just because that will make it a lot easier to get the type of residency you want in the US. You could consider studying a year or two in Turkey, but get an undergraduate degree in the US, then go to med school here.

I am sure the medical education system over there is good...I met a visiting ophthalmologist from there and she was absolutely brilliant. I am just pointing out that the US med schools keep expanding their class sizes in recent years, and residency positions may not expand at the same rate. It is already much harder to get certain US residencies (derm, radiology, ophthalmology, many type of surgical residency) if one graduates from a foreign med school, and I think it's likely to get harder.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Interesting thread, though.